Munich has 5th best quality of life worldwide

91 posts in this topic

As my dad always insisted, it is good for the lungs

did he mean that it gave your lungs a rest because you couldn't stand to breathe?

(of course it isn't that bad - it could be worse. could be a 10 year old corporate pig farm in a blazing hot Nebraska summer)

Costa Rica is the place to be if you want to be sitting at the top of the happiness index (if you believe these people).

The index is about efficiency – countries score well by maximising the happiness they create per unit of environmental input.

If you rank countries based on this efficiency, rather than economic output, the most successful nation in the world is Costa Rica.

More data at the following link. Not looking good for USians.

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/data/

totally agree. Spent several months there when I was seventeen. Time of my life!

The people make the place.

I really do have to say that world class quality of life in Munich does not compensate for the narrow mindset of the mainstream population.

Well I personally think munich is overrated. That's why I moved out.

Munich's best feature is the Autobahn leading out of it.

But you still complain all the time about Germany and the Germans. Is it possible you didn't more far enough away?

Any place is only going to be good for your quality of life if what it offers matches what you like. I hate London. Can't deal with all the hustle and bustle. I know people who think it's the greatest place on earth.

Not entirely true Pas. i never ever complain about "ländliche" stuff, countryside tradition and the like which I love very much. Walking to an alm and sipping a cold one high up, skiing on your doorstep (25 mins for me) Nordic skiing 300m from the house, the sauna.

i had a cracking week in the gym/sauna, mountain biking like mad and jogging. What's not to like?

I actually like living here but love to moan about the Germans from time to time. It's what kept TT special in the first place.

But isn't that the big selling point of Munich itself? All that is on your doorstep from the city as well?

You've distilled the things you like about the area by moving a little bit outside but I think all of those are also elements of what most of us like about Munich. Which is great for you as you've got away from the things you don't like.

You have a point Pas. Holzkirchen has Munich for work purps and the alps, both within easy reach. Personally I found it a long drag on the Autobahn to get out, so we did move out.

Depends how quality of life is defined. For me it entails people contact and warmth. I find Munich sometimes boring - as it is perfectly clean and functional like a machine, but it seems to me that Bavarian people here are not too welcoming and dont want to share their lives. I find other cities much friendlier and warmer than Munich.