Munich has 5th best quality of life worldwide

91 posts in this topic

I heard on the radio that Munich is the safest city in Germany with Schwabing being the safest area. Frankfurt was the least safe in Germany. Glad I live here. Frankfurt just doesn't appeal.

Sorry but being working as a consultant for the past 6 years I have worked and lived in many cities around the globe -now in Munich. This list is just bullshit for naive people. Most of the cities in the world are ok to live as long as your wallet can affort it. For the cities appearing here on the top I guarantee you the wallet has to be thick in any case, which comes to my mind that in many other places you would live like a king with the same budjet. And the least and most stupid argument is the definition about quality of life. For sure my understanding about quality of life is very different than the guy's who made this list <_<

Of course you know why Munich is so highly placed on the Mercer Survey don't you?

It's all us Toytowners! :D

Its all economics based. If it was based on culture, people, the atmospheric point of living and the location... Sydney shits all over Munich!

And I live in both cities.

Forgot to add, I agree with "Clark.K".

Sorry robbieinmunich, it's an oxymoron to use 'sydney' and 'culture' in the same sentence.

Although,actually, I agree with you wholeheartedly, it is definately a better city to live in than Munich.

Far too many Australians in Sydney? Walk down Kings Cross, all you hear is Poms.

Walk down Oxford Street, all you hear is gay Poms.

Obviously, they did not take city attractiveness and the 'friendliness' of the inhabitants into consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This list is just bullshit for naive people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously. These stats are formulaic and always leave out the most important thing about a city; the feel, the pulse, the electricity for lack of better terms.

I'm reminded of the UN stats that rated Norway the most livable country on Earth and the Norwegian politician who stated someting like, "obviously they've never been to Norway."

Yeah, most Scandinavian cities are quite cold, metaphorically (and literally!) speaking. I lived in Stockholm many years, and I always thought of it as "clinical" - super clean & safe, indeed one of the highest standard of livings anywhere, but just lacked soul compared to many other cities, including Munich.

My wife, who is a native of Munich, tells me that Munich fails the EU environmental limits, especially in air pollution.

Munich is great when you are young and single, but when clean fresh farm air appeals its time to move out.

@Jeremy

Does anyone relocate on the basis of "air"? Do you wake up in the morning, stick your head out the door and say "Honey, grab the kids...this air don't taste right".

I live in the country and I gotta tell ya - a few times of the year around here and the air smells bloody awful. :P

Nope but if you live right next to a beergarden and the smell of tobacco wafts into your bedroom when you want to go to sleep then yes your air quality is compromised.

Also if you live 300m from the Mittlerer Ring as well then yes this is a reason to not want to stay about.

If you have an interest in astronomy as I do and the light pollution buggers up your potential viewing evening then yes this is a reason to get out.

If you have been brought up on fresh sea air then yes this is a reason to go.

I lived in dusty Dhahran for five years. I had an X ray done on my lungs and there was lots of desert dust on them over my time there. Nope air quality is a persuasive reaosn to go. Amongst other reasons.

Lets just say we didn't have a choice in the matter. Then lets just say we ARE moving out of Munich to the countryside, south of Munich.

South of Munich - good choice sir! I am stuck West 'cos of the outlaws but south is clearly the place to be. Lakes, nearer the hills, nearer Austria - game on.