Fixed-gear bikes spark police crackdown in Berlin

95 posts in this topic

I don't think logic or facts are going to make much impression on Teddy somehow.

and in berlin, a symbol of rebellion against stupid rules

There is no arguing with that sort of mindset.

BTW Teddy if you are so worried about your brakes not working in the rain then fit a set of roller brakes. You can brake underwater with them.

how do you think that caliper brakes work? they're not some magic device that bends gravity, they apply friction on the rim to slow the wheel. fixed gear bikes can do exactly the same thing, using road friction on the tyre. same principle, different method. in thinking it through, a fixed gear bike with a front brake would have exactly the same stopping distance as a roadbike with front and rear brakes.

BTW Teddy if you are so worried about your brakes not working in the rain then fit a set of roller brakes. You can brake underwater with them.

i'm not worried about my brakes not working in the rain. i ride a fixed gear bike, so if my front brake is not functioning at 100%, i can brake perfectly fine with my drivetrain.

don't get personal in debates, steven. it demeans yourself. i've been thoroughly logical throughout. and btw, that rebellion thing... thats not my opinion, that's just what i see on the streets. cops confiscating brakeless bikes has meant that a portion of those that ride brakeless now see it as a statement of rebellion. as i've said before, i personally ride with a front brake.

how do you think that caliper brakes work? they're not some magic device that bends gravity, they apply friction on the rim to slow the wheel. fixed gear bikes can do exactly the same thing, using road friction on the tyre. same principle, different method. in thinking it through, a fixed gear bike with a front brake would have exactly the same stopping distance as a roadbike with front and rear brakes.

That's like comparing a car servo-steering / power-steering with a normal one. They have the same concept, but one helps to multiple your power.

thats not true at all. there's no particular mechanical advantage to where you apply the torque. brakepads don't somehow multiply the friction.

If skidding the wheel is such a safe and efficient way to stop why did they bother inventing ABS?

Anyway this is a pointless argument as you are obviously entrenched in your position and logic and common sense will not shift you.

Oh and if you think mentioning your name is "getting personal" then you need a reality check.

I don't understand though why they are supposedly faster than a normal racing bike...

They are not. They are for punks and are completely inefficient. It's just typical Berlin bullshit - for people trying really much too hard to be cool and different.

They are not. They are for punks and are completely inefficient. It's just typical Berlin bullshit - for people trying really much too hard to be cool and different.

Quite true. Whatever reasons people have for liking fixes (aesthetic, hipster, like mechanical tinkering), raw speed is not one of them. If anyone tells you otherwise, consider it notification they are a clueless hipster. Refer my earlier video for what roadies think of fixie riders ;-)

"Don't knock it 'till you rock it"

As a kid, I spent my summers in the BMX race ciruit and since converting my road bike 3 years ago, riding has never been so enjoyable. I've never felt so in control of my balance, strength and coordination.

Perhaps someone has already made this comparison (I can't be bothered to read the whole thread) - Its like driving a sports car with manual transmission instead of automatic transmission. Its all about complete control.

Furthermore, I tend to disagree that only hipsters or punks ride fixed-gear bikes although I do agree there are several out there riding/pushing them around.

I ride with a brake, so I can ride as fast as I want, my bike looks quite normal (no fancy rims, no bright colors) so I can't really see how bike enthusiasts like me automatically get categorized as hipsters. I can't understand why so many people are into hating on fixed-gear bikes when half of them don't rides bikes themselves or are not even capable of recognizing a fixed-gear bike if they saw one.

Like I said, don't knock it 'till you rock it.

Try it out sometime. :)

@ Binaural

Clearly you didn't get the gist of the entire video's existence.

It wasn't a roadie dissin' a fixie-riding hipster. It's addressing the issues of cycling, being a sport. With money, you can get a bicycle, and it being a sport, well you still need a bicycle.

Compare it to jogging, where you rely wholly on your body for performance, than a bike. The "McSpandex" video just disses all kinds of cyclists by claiming their performance increases along with the pricetag on the bicycle they get.

Which isn't the case, it's the rider, not the bicycle.

And why is it so hard to get a front brake? I'd rather lose the style-points and stay alive.

Another reason not to move to Berlin! Seems people in Berlin have so much time on their hands to complain about things (Toytown)maybe they should complain less and try to improve the job situation therebeing a lazy starving artists is no different than being a broke ass hipster! Riding a fixed gear or not all you Berliner

@ Binaural

Clearly you didn't get the gist of the entire video's existence.

It wasn't a roadie dissin' a fixie-riding hipster. It's addressing the issues of cycling, being a sport. With money, you can get a bicycle, and it being a sport, well you still need a bicycle.

Compare it to jogging, where you rely wholly on your body for performance, than a bike. The "McSpandex" video just disses all kinds of cyclists by claiming their performance increases along with the pricetag on the bicycle they get.

Which isn't the case, it's the rider, not the bicycle.

And why is it so hard to get a front brake? I'd rather lose the style-points and stay alive.

Eh, I think you're the one who has failed to get the gist. It is obviously by someone who (a) knows the fixie "scene" deserves some mocking and also (B) knows that racer types who criticise them also look a bit ridiculous. I did hear on a bike forum the other day that that movie was actually make by some manufacturer, so I could be wrong.

On a related note, I have one of these bikes for sale (Munich). My husband had it made in Toronto, he hasn't used it for years and we have a limited amount of locker space. He describes it as: a freewheel's Mavic rims; single handbrake; Shimano clips; Brooks leather saddle; single-gear track bike hybrid. I don't know the frame size but he is 6 feet tall. PM me if interested.