Fixed-gear bikes spark police crackdown in Berlin

95 posts in this topic

“I was stopped by eight or nine cops who looked totally bored. I tried to tell them they were taking away how I make my living, but they didn’t seem to care.”

So. Are you suggesting that my next door neigbour, who I reported to the police last week, should be able to keep his stasch of Heroin and coke, JUST because it is "the way I make my living"?

Furor, you seem to be under the impression that someone riding fixed is a criminal, according to you a courier, a highly experienced rider is the same as a drug dealer. Who do you think makes deliveries in Berlin?

The only issue with fixies is when people don't know how to ride them and must have a brakeless fixie as a fashion statement. Given you can't enforce common sense, this maybe a necessary evil so long as the police demonstrate some restraint when they should enforce it. In the case of an experienced cyclists who can safely ride fixed, let them do so.

In terms of whether people need to have bells, lights, mudguards... why not be individuals? let those who want nothing have nothing, and those who want more have more. I am tired of discussions which are geared to some kind of cyclo-normativism. I enjoy diversity, lets all do our thing and stop lecturing each other on what to do (ironically prescriptive, I know).

Furor, you seem to be under the impression that someone riding fixed is a criminal, according to you a courier, a highly experienced rider is the same as a drug dealer.

Furor is either: a troll, or a German who is doing his best to reinforce the stereotypes that expats have about Germans as automatons who stick to the rules rigidly no matter how ridiculous they are.

I suspect the latter, in which case, all hail our new robotic overlord!

Tell me another story.

He's actually not far wrong, but not for the reasons he thinks. During hard emergency braking, you get about 80% of your power from your front brake because of the transfer of weight onto the front wheel, allowing you to draw down harder on the lever before locking up. The rear brake is pretty incidental to the process, especially since all but very skillful riders tend to lock up the rear under emergency braking. So there's next to no real-world difference in stopping time and distance for fixies fitted with a front brake, but brakeless fixies are a menace by the same argument.

Ok, let me make a few things absolutely clear. Bells on bikes are gay, reflectors on bikes are gay, shopping baskets are gay, mudguards, chain guards, wing mirrors are all gay. I know Germans like their bikes 'fully loaded', but you will be more likely to see me naked, painted blue, with sparklers sticking out of my arse, on a skateboard; than being forced to put all that crap on my bike.

:lol:

• bells: do the same thing as shouting "haaallloooooo" at clueless assholes walking in the bike lane, and convey 90% less aggravation than would be evidenced in your (my) voice. No one shouts back at a bell, but don't let your voice be dripping venom when you call out to a knuckle-dragging moran waddling in your path.
  • reflectors: dang, i like life. I am fanatic about my ghey bike lights too and have been known to walk instead of cycle when the batteries are low or dead.
  • mudguards: not everyone puts their bike in the basement when the cooler months roll around. Those of us who use our bikes as our primary form of transportation like to show up to work/school/dinner with the in-laws NOT looking as if we've just been sitting in the front row at a monster truck rally.
  • chain guards: chocky is a ghey who wears spandex 365 days a year :lol: naw im just fucking with you but on the real you should see how many of my pants legs have been chewed up by my bike chain. Luckily I now ride a super-gay old lady bike with a chain-guard the size of Texas, problem solved.
  • shopping baskets: dang, i like food and spontaneous shopping. Nothing better than realizing that not everything will fit in your backpack and remembering that extra cargo hold on your ride. Also ideal for when you're out without a backpack and want to bring something home. My basket was a birthday gift and has single handedly made my life easier than has any other aquisition of the year.
  • wing mirrors: totally ghey. no argument there.

i would pay a lot of money to see you riding a skateboard with a sparkler sticking out yr arse LOL

Furor, you seem to be under the impression that someone riding fixed is a criminal, according to you a courier, a highly experienced rider is the same as a drug dealer. Who do you think makes deliveries in Berlin?

The only issue with fixies is when people don't know how to ride them and must have a brakeless fixie as a fashion statement. Given you can't enforce common sense, this maybe a necessary evil so long as the police demonstrate some restraint when they should enforce it. In the case of an experienced cyclists who can safely ride fixed, let them do so.

In terms of whether people need to have bells, lights, mudguards... why not be individuals? let those who want nothing have nothing, and those who want more have more. I am tired of discussions which are geared to some kind of cyclo-normativism. I enjoy diversity, lets all do our thing and stop lecturing each other on what to do (ironically prescriptive, I know).

I wouldn't equate the two but are fixies illegal or are they not? Is there a law that says you need to have all this crap on your bike or no? If the answer to both of these questions is yes, even if it's a totally stupid law, you can't really argue with it if you are stopped and fined for it. If the answer is no and there is no such law, tell the cops to jump and you'll see them in court.

We can do the same with cars, let the people individual and decide if they need lights, horn, blinking lights, safety belts, etc. Then we can enjoy even more diversity.

Have you ever noticed 95% of the people riding these bikes are complete fuckwits. No brakes, no brains, no responsibility. I hope to see them soon dragged under the wheels of a bin lorry with no steering. A bright orange gay bin lorry mind you with the number 69 printed on the side.

I have to agree a basket for my bike was one of the best purchases I have ever made. Means I only have to cycle to Lidl once a week instead of twice

I am planning on moving to Berlin in August/September, and I will be bringing my fixie with me.

I have a front break and lights on the bike, so, should I have some worries?

Also, where is the best place to get your self a bicycle courier job?

I speak a little Deutsch, but that improves everyday I am here.

Perhaps you should have worries if you have the complete inability to read a thread about something that is important to you? Would you like a tip about how you can find someone to clean your arse as well? That would be in the family section. Non German speaking Cycle couriers in the capital of Germany tend to be well down the lists of wants or needs these days. There is a cull however each Saturday close to the river Spree which can be a good laugh if nothing else.

Ok, let me make a few things absolutely clear. Bells on bikes are gay, reflectors on bikes are gay, shopping baskets are gay, mudguards, chain guards, wing mirrors are all gay. I know Germans like their bikes 'fully loaded', but you will be more likely to see me naked, painted blue, with sparklers sticking out of my arse, on a skateboard; than being forced to put all that crap on my bike.

Extra weight just slows you down.

Then again, I've been eyeing off a 120dB air horn for my bike... Is that "gay" as well?

:-D

To HAL9000:

"Perhaps you should have worries if you have the complete inability to read a thread about something that is important to you? Would you like a tip about how you can find someone to clean your arse as well? That would be in the family section. Non German speaking Cycle couriers in the capital of Germany tend to be well down the lists of wants or needs these days. There is a cull however each Saturday close to the river Spree which can be a good laugh if nothing else."

Was soll man sagen zu so einem Kommentar, der nicht nur nicht hilfreich, sondern auch völlig am Thema vorbei ist?!

Mit Sicherheit ganz unten auf der Liste der "wants or needs" eines jeden Berliners stehen engstirnige, aggressive und von sich selbst überzeugte Mitbürger jedweder Nation, die aus vollkommen suspekten Gründen annehmen ihre wenig konstruktive Meinung sei erbeten oder erwünscht.

Schade, dass du nichts besseres mit deiner Zeit anzufangen weisst, als solch dämliche Kommentare zu schreiben.

Sorry, aber das geht echt gar nicht!

A bit unrelated to the discussion at hand, but I saw some cool fixies on my trip to Indianapolis last week. We sat and chatted with these guys for a bit. The friend I was with is from Austin, Texass and is a big roadie and had a lot of questions for these guys. I'm not sure how a lot of these guys afforded these bikes with their McJobs - or the couple of Mac laptops they had sitting around. Yes, the hipster, mac-loving, ill-informed enviro weenie stereotype about fixie riders holds true in the midwestern US. They'd fit in well in San Francisco. Did you know that 85% of Germany's energy comes from Nuclear Power? I didn't either until these guys all filled me in :rolleyes: Apparently, Europe is an environmental utopia and I'm very, very lucky to live here. Well, the lucky to live here part may be true... Don't mean to rag on these guys too hard, but they had some interesting thoughts/opinions. Fun to talk with though and they were good on their bikes. Very nice bikes they were, too.

post-18118-1247469623_thumb.jpg

post-18118-1247469641_thumb.jpg

Really don't get this subject at all.

Those bikes look like something I made when I was a kid from parts off the scrappie.

No brakes, no gears, no mud guards, cheapo paint job and odd sized wheels/tyres - yep exactly the sort of thing we used to make.

Bet they cost an arm and a leg though? They saw you coming :)

I am planning on moving to Berlin in August/September, and I will be bringing my fixie with me.

I have a front break and lights on the bike, so, should I have some worries?

Also, where is the best place to get your self a bicycle courier job?

I speak a little Deutsch, but that improves everyday I am here.

You need 2 brakes.

Really don't get this subject at all.

Those bikes look like something I made when I was a kid from parts off the scrappie.

No brakes, no gears, no mud guards, cheapo paint job and odd sized wheels/tyres - yep exactly the sort of thing we used to make.

Bet they cost an arm and a leg though? They saw you coming

Yep!! Those who did this back when were happy to have a bike. But, now it is some type of phenom there is someone making money off of those who want to have the newest. And those who are stupid enough to spend their money on something that is really not so spectacular.

That's not true Keepingtime. Most of these are old road frames that no one wants anymore with similarly aged parts on them. The most expensive thing is probably the high-flanged track hub and cog, if they even go this route. These are pretty much the same DIY bikes we had as kids.

That's not the impression I get from reading The Beavers post and from others who post on this same subject.

It always seems as if they pay a lot of money for their fad bikes which is why I don't get the point of paying for something any 13 yearold kid could make for you from scrap.