Kindergarten and other childcare places available

30 posts in this topic

Hello we are looking for a place for our 1 1/2 year old son in a bilingual nursery, starting from August/ September 2014. We are now living in a trilingual environment: German = mother, English= brothers and nursery and Arabic/ English = father and grandma.. so quite funny:), In summer we are going to move back to Berlin, so would love to see him in a multi language nursery. Many thanks in advance

Little Munchkins, a bilingual German and English preschool with a nature-based curriculum, has two spots open.

We are looking for girls born in 2012 with a full day Kita Gutschein (Vollzeit Gutschein) to start with us in August or latest September.

The preschool is located in Pankow. Please have a look at our website for more information, and if interested please contact the director via the contact form (either in German or English) Little Munchkins Website

Thank you and hope to hear from you!

Hi, our bilingual Montessori preschool (1 year and up) in Friedenau (Handjerystraße 46) still has some places available. There is also one last opening at the Montessori preschool in Wannsee. Please e-mail arend(at)montessori-friends.de and refer to Toytown Germany.

hello -

we are looking for a spot for our son (15 months). he is being raised bilingually (American / German native speaking parents). we are located in Kreuzberg 36 and would love to have something close to home, but would be open traveling a bit.

any tips / info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

We are moving to Berlin in December and I am looking for a nursery place for my 2.5 year old son who is trilingual. Ideally I would like to find a (English-German) nursery in Mitte but would also consider the childminder option.

Many thanks!

Hi,

I need to enrol my two daughters aged 2 and 5.5 years in a Kita immediately but do not have a Kita voucher yet. I have been told that it will take at least 6 weeks from now.

Can anyone suggest a Kita where they can accept kids without a voucher or on a provisional basis.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a Kita for my one year old son? in Charlottenburg, Moabit areas?

We are moving to Berlin in June. I'm looking for a kita for our sons aged 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 then. Is there any chance we will find a spot for them in the summer? What are options for care if you can't get into a kita until August/September? Are there summer camps in Berlin for kids 3-5 years old? I'm looking for something in the Prenzlauerberg/Friedrichshein neighborhoods or maybe as far south as Schonenberg.

I'd love any input. Thanks!

Hello friends;

We are new here in Berlin with my family and I have some doubts about sending my kid to kindergarten. I really want my 2 year-old daughter to learn German, so we are thinking to sign her to a German Kindergarten. Yet she can just speak Turkish.

My question is: How kindergartens handle with this situation? I mean, for sure there are plenty of children who does not speak German. Should I write what she means when she asks for water or something else?

Also she just started potty training. I am very concerned that we will have problems if she can not tell when she needs to go toilet.

Thanks in advance...

Secil

Dear Secil, I don't think you need to worry about the language situation. It's probably more common than you know that children start Kindergarten with NO German exposure. You will take part in the Eingewöhnung (integration), which takes place over around 4 weeks. That means you'll be in the Kindergarten with her at the beginning. That will help you to feel more secure about the communication between her and staff members and you can then also translate if needed. Kids adapt so quickly and before you know it, she'll be fluent in German.

On the potty training part: I would expect some regression as going to Kindergarten is a stressful time and she will have a lot of input. Things will fall into place eventually though. Like I said, she will have you there initially to help with the communication and over the integration period you, she and her carer will get used to what words she uses to convey her fundamental needs- they will probably teach her the German terms pretty quickly.

I am no expert- I only know this from my own child, who went to Kita having heard mostly English (from me). In the end, his German was the stronger language.

Good luck!

Hi,

We are planning to be in Berlin July-December 2015. With our daughter (born July 2010, so turning 5 in summer) and our son (born August 2012, so turning 3 in summer).

I have lived in Berlin (2000-2001), but not with kids etc. We are doing sabbatical there, but not totally officially-- i.e. we're going to be traveling in and out + just basically taking time off from university duties (in San Diego). Looking for suggestions for Kita/childcare-- both kids attend Montessori (AMI) here in San Diego (bilingual English-Spanish)-- I'd be fine with them doing an all German-language program... Is there ANY chance we will be able to find them places in a Kita for this time period? How does one even go about doing this? What is a Kita Gutschein and how does one procure such things?

Sorry for the newbie questions... THANKS!!!

Part of my work involves helping families relocating to Berlin to find services like Kitas and to help them file paperwork, including for the Gutschein. The Gutschein is a daycare 'voucher'. It's effectively a subsidy for your daycare. You can apply for a Gutschein once you're resident in Berlin (or once you have a rental contract here). There's a form you fill out, you need to prove your income and produce a few other bits and pieces and then you can sometimes even get the voucher on the spot.

Finding a spot in daycare is notoriously hard (hence why I started offering this service). I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find something, though some institutions might be less tickled by the idea since children being there temporarily isn't conducive to the group dynamic. Where you look depends where you will be living really... PM me if you need any further info or help.

Hello,

I am an American currently living and working in Berlin. I am trying to bring my wife and sons from Kiel down here. The boys ages are 2 and 3 and they need a kindergarten spot in September if possible. They speak German but understand English as well. I live in Kreuzberg near Gölitzer Bahnhof. We are open to any place but obviously the closer the better.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks!

-Chris

Kinderkrippe Limmaland near Forstenrieder Allee U-bahn in Munich had as many as 4 seats available in the middle of the academic year in February 2015, for children less than 3. One of them was offered to my child and he is currently in the middle of his Eingewhonung. I am not sure whether they still have seats, but worth trying for those who are looking in Munich. It is not bilingual but a good facility and is managed by Bayerisches Rotezkreuz.

Hello GeordieRacer,

Do you still help in flagging availability at nurseries and filling out forms for Gutschein? My small family and I are relocating to Berlin this summer and might need your services. Is there an email I can reach you at? Our situation is quite unique and requires a  elaboration.

Best,

Crumb

Part of my work involves helping families relocating to Berlin to find services like Kitas and to help them file paperwork, including for the Gutschein. The Gutschein is a daycare 'voucher'. It's effectively a subsidy for your daycare. You can apply for a Gutschein once you're resident in Berlin (or once you have a rental contract here). There's a form you fill out, you need to prove your income and produce a few other bits and pieces and then you can sometimes even get the voucher on the spot.

Finding a spot in daycare is notoriously hard (hence why I started offering this service). I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find something, though some institutions might be less tickled by the idea since children being there temporarily isn't conducive to the group dynamic. Where you look depends where you will be living really... PM me if you need any further info or help.

Looking for a spot in a bilingual nursery as of August 2015:

We are relocating to Berlin from overseas and need to enroll our 3-year old daughter in a bilingual nursery in Prenzlauer Berg (or Mitte) as of August 2015. Any word on available spots would be appreciated. Our little one has already done a year in nursery. She does not speak Deutsch yet but is already quite verbal in English. 

Thanks

Crumb

Hello all,

We have literally just moved from London to Berlin with work (I work at the same creative agency as OH since my Maternity Leave). I had been desperately trying to contact Kita's for the few weeks before we moved without any success in replies! Our son is 3 and is a very sociable little boy - so would ideally like him in an English/German bilingual kindergarten. 

Does anyone know of any spaces available within any of the bilingual kita's in Prenzlauer Berg (close to Greifswalderstraße)? Or the contact details of any that may have an English speaking staff member, and be able be able to offer us a few days, as I work part time.

Additionally, I'm looking into Nanny's - but as we've never even had a babysitter in the 3 years since having our son, we're pretty clueless as to where to start! Can anyone recommend any agencies or reliable/trustworthy Nanny's living in Berlin, perhaps looking for part time work?

Many thanks!

Claire. 

Hi Judypink,

Our daughter was accepted at Phorms which we are delighted about. The staff have been communicative and prompt in all our dealings. You might want to reach out to them.

All the best

Crumb

German-English Kindergarten in Berlin-Weissensee has available slots for children between the ages of 1- 6. Our Kindergarten has two locations: Komponistenviertel for the minis aged 1- 4 with a playground across the street and Streustrasse for the maxi children aged 4- 6 with a garden in the backyard.

The children have 3 meals, all organic (not vegetarian). Our children have Music once a week and additionally the maxi kids go to a sport lesson once a week.

Opening hours: 8 am - 5 pm

Additional monthly fee: 60 €

www.zillibilliwilli.eu