Mailing prescription medicines from US to Germany

33 posts in this topic

Also does it make a difference if I can pick it up on a U.S. Army post? And do you by chance know if the rules for gaining access to those posts are the same as in America?

We regularly get large bottles of milk of magnesia from Canadadrug. It is so cheap. However because this product and similar is only available here in little sachets costing a fortune we have to go to the Zollamt in Stade and every time they phone around for about 45 minutes before we are allowed to have it.

Also does it make a difference if I can pick it up on a U.S. Army post? And do you by chance know if the rules for gaining access to those posts are the same as in America?

You'd be breaking German import law and the military personnel facilitating it would be subject to disciplinary action.

This shit isn't worth my time I've already wasted and hour and a half with no reasonable solution, i'll talk to my Dr. if I can wait 8 months to start the medication thats fine if I can't i'll find one here I guess.

Katzerina, I guess you are aware that Adderall is a "Combination of Dextroamphetamine and Levoamphetamine". I guess sending it via mail might induce severe problems ...

Re obtaining the pill in Germany - you wouldn't have to go to a gynaecologist to get it in Germany, a normal Hausartzt can write you a prescription. It costs around 30 euros for 6 months supply. Got to be easier/cheaper than messing around with shipping it from US pharmacy to German pharmacy, or trying to convince s.o on base to accept delivery. And, it's definitely legal too.

This shit isn't worth my time I've already wasted and hour and a half with no reasonable solution,

Could you not just cross your legs prior to the potential onset of sex? No customs issues, no doctors cost, no need for any insurance, free and totally legal.

You can also take your American prescription to a German Apotheke. If they have the same pills, they'll fill it for you -- once. No refills. Enough time to get a German replacement sorted.

I had to do this when I first arrived for the several meds I take. Got a (roughly) 3 month supply and then visited a German doctor, who made a few changes.

No, no, no! Don't do this. You will just get a huge hassle from the customs officials, along with forms to sign, and threats of fines. They can technically blame and fine the recipient of contraband medication, and any medication that requires a prescription in Germany (i.e. everything stronger than herbal tea) would be treated as contraband. It's easy and cheap to see a doctor in Germany. Just bring a decent amount with you and get more here. They are very unlikely to accept a foreign prescription. As I said, just get one here. Easy.

If you want to import medication into the EU, have them sent to some country with overworked, underpaid customs officials who would rather drink tea and chat with their colleagues than actually check packages. Germany is the last place on earth anything naughty should be sent. They check everything. Thoroughly. All the time. With characteristic German diligence and seriousness.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information here.  I have seen reference several places online (including this thread) about having prescriptions mailed from a US pharmacy to a German one (I am in Berlin Mitte), but I am not able to find a pharmacy here in Berlin that will do it. My local one has been quite friendly and helpful, but insists that this is only legal within the EU.  Could someone possibly share the names of any pharmacies in Berlin that have done this for them, or share the name in German of what this particular provision of the law is called, so that I could find and bring the relevant text of the relevant law to my local pharmacy (who wanted to help me but just does not want to do anything illegal)?  Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I am not trying to obtain any pain medications or anything that would normally be restricted in Germany or the US (other than requiring a prescription).   

18 minutes ago, cwyn said:

Thanks everyone for the helpful information here.  I have seen reference several places online (including this thread) about having prescriptions mailed from a US pharmacy to a German one (I am in Berlin Mitte), but I am not able to find a pharmacy here in Berlin that will do it. My local one has been quite friendly and helpful, but insists that this is only legal within the EU.  Could someone possibly share the names of any pharmacies in Berlin that have done this for them, or share the name in German of what this particular provision of the law is called, so that I could find and bring the relevant text of the relevant law to my local pharmacy (who wanted to help me but just does not want to do anything illegal)?  Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I am not trying to obtain any pain medications or anything that would normally be restricted in Germany or the US (other than requiring a prescription).   

Case 1: The medication is not approved in Germany

The medication is only available outside of Germany and no other treatment exists in Germany for it. A doctor in Germany/EU can write a prescription for it and only in this case can it be imported by the pharmacy. Whether insurance covers it or not, is another story. It requires paperwork and is probably assessed case by case. From the pharmacy point of view, it requires a lot of documentation and this must be stored at least 5 years. Most staff don't even know how to do the documentation plus it is time-consuming and unpaid from a business perspective. So you may find difficulties if you are in this situation. 

Für den Fall, dass Patienten mit nur im Ausland verfügbaren Arzneimitteln versorgt werden müssen, gibt es im Arzneimittelgesetz (AMG) eine Ausnahmeregelung: die Einzeleinfuhr nach § 73 Absatz 3 AMG.

§ 73 Absatz 3 AMG

„...Fertigarzneimittel, die zur Anwendung bei Menschen bestimmt sind und nicht zum Verkehr im Geltungsbereich dieses Gesetzes zugelassen, registriert oder von der Zulassung oder Registrierung freigestellt sind, (dürfen) in den Geltungsbereich dieses Gesetzes verbracht werden, wenn

1. sie von Apotheken auf vorliegende Bestellung einzelner Personen in geringer Menge bestellt und von diesen Apotheken im Rahmen der bestehenden Apothekenbetriebserlaubnis abgegeben werden,

2. sie in dem Staat rechtmäßig in Verkehr gebracht werden dürfen, aus dem sie in den Geltungsbereich dieses Gesetzes verbracht werden, und

3. für sie hinsichtlich des Wirkstoffs identische und hinsichtlich der Wirkstärke vergleichbare Arzneimittel für das betreffende Anwendungsgebiet im Geltungsbereich des Gesetzes nicht zur Verfügung stehen."

Case 2: Medication is approved in Germany (albeit different brand(s))

The problem here is that the AMG regulates the import of non approved meds and not approved meds from third countries. However unlike case 1, paragraph 10 of the AMG now applies in terms of clinical studies as well as packing and such. There is no clear law/rule. In an article by the Deutsche Apotheker Zeitung they mention that they have tried to get clarification for this case, but there is no clear rule. Hence a pharmacy inspector, should they search through these papers can interpret as they please which quite frankly, as a pharmacist is terrifying (could mean losing license, fines, jail time). I for one, as a non German who worked her ass off to get my license here would not risk it. Perhaps others are willing to go for it. See a doctor in Germany and get whatever you need prescribed here. If the exact med is not available I am sure there is something similar. From what I know importing approved meds is only allowed within the EU and it has to be sent from either a drug company or pharmacy or other approved institution NOT a private person. 

§ 73 Absatz 3 AMG regelt jedoch nur den Einzelimport in Deutschland nicht zugelassener Fertigarzneimittel.

Das Arzneimittelgesetz enthält zahlreiche und detaillierte Vorgben. So erklärt der Gesetzgeber in § 10 AMG  die Kennzeichnung von Arzneimitteln, und dass Fertigarzneimittel, die weder der klinischen Prüfung dienen noch von der Zulassungspflicht freigestellt sind „im Geltungsbereich dieses Gesetzes nur in den Verkehr gebracht werden (dürfen), wenn auf den Behältnissen und, soweit verwendet, auf den äußeren Umhüllungen in gut lesbarer Schrift, allgemeinverständlich in deutscher Sprache und auf dauerhafte Weise" bestimmte Angaben gemacht sind. Gleiches gilt für die Packungsbeilage nach § 11 AMG.

https://www.deutsche-apotheker-zeitung.de/news/artikel/2019/06/13/zoely-zentral-zugelassen-ist-ein-import-nach-73-abs-3-ueberhaupt-moeglich/chapter:3

Thanks, Narjiz, for the incredibly detailed and informative response.  This is very helpful! 

Sorry for the delay in replying--I had drafted this reply and thought that it had posted, but apparently my internet got bogged down before it went and then my login timed out, so it never went.