Claiming unemployment benefits in Munich

92 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a question from a friend. He is a EU national and he has a fixed 3 year contract in Germany. After that period, the current company might not offer him a new position. Is he eligible for unemployment benefits, as it is a fixed term contract?

Yes, he is.

One thing to keep in mind : You need to inform the Arbeitsamt about your time limited  contract 3 months before this contract ends.

if you have been in an uninterrupted employment relationship at least for the past 12 months, you are entitled to the unemployment pay.It must have been a real job  and the employer must have paid your unemployment insurance for that period of time.

As sosarx writes, you have to be proactive, so if you expect to be unemployed , in this case the contract is exipiring, you should contact them in advance. The first registration as unemployed-to be can be done even online,  but once your termination is evident, you must make an appointment to see them in person.

Hi guys,

So I am likely going to have to apply to receive Arbeitslosengeld as of this summer. I've worked for a good decade so I know what I am entitled to and for how long, etc. One question I have though (as I've never been unemployed in Germany):

After I apply I understand I'll get an invite to go to the Arbeitsamt in person to meet my councilor. Once I do this I'll be able to receive my monthly payment to keep me going and I'll need to continue applying for jobs

Question: How often do you have to physically have to go into the Arbeitsamt to meet up with your councilor?

I understand you can change dates if you have a valid reason, and that if you miss numerous appointments then the payment can be reduced or even withheld, etc, just want to know what obligation you have to physically be at the Arbeitsamt if you're actively applying for jobs anyway?

About once a month or so but I'm sure it changes state to state. They will possibly put you on a course after a while. Sounds dodgy that you are already talking about missing appointments to be honest. They don't just throw out free money. 😉

52 minutes ago, efc78 said:

Hi guys,

So I am likely going to have to apply to receive Arbeitslosengeld as of this summer. I've worked for a good decade so I know what I am entitled to and for how long, etc. One question I have though (as I've never been unemployed in Germany):

After I apply I understand I'll get an invite to go to the Arbeitsamt in person to meet my councilor. Once I do this I'll be able to receive my monthly payment to keep me going and I'll need to continue applying for jobs

Question: How often do you have to physically have to go into the Arbeitsamt to meet up with your councilor?

I understand you can change dates if you have a valid reason, and that if you miss numerous appointments then the payment can be reduced or even withheld, etc, just want to know what obligation you have to physically be at the Arbeitsamt if you're actively applying for jobs anyway?

I was once unemployed in order to do integration course. During that time I had to show up once a month and I would bring emails and agencies of all the places I would be applying. They never showed me their job offers or pressed on taking anything. You have the right but am not sure of 21 days of holiday and I guess sick days as you would normally. 

56 minutes ago, efc78 said:

Just because you only have to occasionally physically go into their offices, does not mean that you can go wherever you please between appointments. One of the conditions to be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits is that you receive permission for Ortsabwesenheit.

5 hours ago, McDee said:

About once a month or so but I'm sure it changes state to state. They will possibly put you on a course after a while. Sounds dodgy that you are already talking about missing appointments to be honest. They don't just throw out free money. 😉

Been employed for a decade in Munich and will be looking around Germany/UK for a new role - not specifically Munich, hence I won't be in the city all of the time. I think I am entitled to unemployment pay given the thousands I have put into the pot over the years.

Immediatly after you receive notice of termination of your employment contract from your employer or if you were the one who gave notice  you must  register at the Arbeitsamt. They get in touch with him and if your contract was terminated by you it can lead to complacations for receiving unemployment benefits.

12 hours ago, efc78 said:

Been employed for a decade in Munich and will be looking around Germany/UK for a new role - not specifically Munich, hence I won't be in the city all of the time.

You have an obligation to inform the Agentur für Arbeit or you could face sanctions. If you have interviews it is really not a problem as long as you notify them in advance. If you start spending weeks at a time in the UK, it could be an issue unless you do it by the books.

If you are committed to looking in the UK; you can apply to have your benefits transferred there for up to 3 months while you look there.  You would have to apply for it beforehand, get it approved and then take your paperwork to the UK and register there.  After 3 months, if you didn't find a job, you can come back to Germany and continue your benefits.