Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to the Emden/Leer area

11 posts in this topic

I just signed up for this forum and this is my first post. My wife, son (and puppy dog) are looking to move to the Emden/Leer area sometime late summer. I just received a job offer from a German company. I would appreciate any advice people have for moving and finding/renting a house, cost of living info and general local "this is what it's like to live here".

We have just moved to this area from Norway and are getting settled. My husbands company rented a house for us but used a Realtor and it seemed pretty straight forward. There are a lot of houses for rent and the area is relatively inexpensive. Most people speak English, probably because tourism is a large source of income in the area.

Hope you decided to come to Emden!

@kimberlyfr

it seems that you live in a very nice part of emden!

I also live in emden but more to the center of the city and I find it difficult to communicate in english here!

Leer is a very nice old town, whereas Emden is close to the North Sea and has an average harbour. The Dutch border is close to both of them- visiting the Netherlands is no problem. The countryside is very flat, green and has a very typical kind of farmhouse buildings.

Oldenburg is not too far away from Leer/Emden (70km) and offers a bigger variety of culture and shopping tham Emden and Leer. You get a lively cultural scene, bars, theatres and museums. Shopping is rated to be quite good in Oldenburg- all big chain stores (from departmental stores (Galeria Kaufhof, Hema...), DIY(Obi, Max Bahr, toom, Hornbach..) to furniture (Boss,Buss, Poco, Ikea...) clothes (HM,CA,Esprit, Leffers...)and food ( real, famila xxl ...) are either in the centre or in shopping malls.

Hello;

I am going to study i FH Emden and I urgently need to find an accommodation in Emden.I checked Studentenwerk and WG. Gesucht but i couldn t find any suitable place.Do you have any idea about what should i do?

Good morning,

We are seeking an apartment for an employee who has just started a contract in Emden. He is seeking a long term rental of a ground floor apartment for himself, his wife and their two small well trained dogs.

Any information you have on apartments or houses that are available would be greatly appreciated.

His maximum budget is €1750 per month and he would like to find something as soon as possible.

Ideally fully furnished, but could be happy with partly furnished, as long as the kitchen is equipped.

I would be very grateful for any information on availability!

Many thanks,

Guten Morgen,

Wir suchen eine Wohnung für einen Mitarbeiter, der gerade einen Vertrag in Emden begonnen hat. Er sucht nach einer langfristigen Vermietung einer Wohnung im Erdgeschoss für sich, seine Frau und die beiden kleinen, gut ausgebildete Hunde.

Alle Informationen, die Sie auf Wohnungen oder Häuser, die verfügbar sind würde sehr geschätzt werden.

Sein Budget ist maximal 1.750 € pro Monat, und er möchte etwas so schnell wie möglich zu finden.

Im Idealfall komplett eingerichtet, konnte aber mit teilweise möbliert glücklich sein, solange die Küche ausgestattet.

Ich wäre sehr dankbar für jeden Hinweis auf Verfügbarkeit!

Vielen Dank,

Hello everyone.

Is there anyone in the forum living in Emden/Leer? I am moving to Emden very soon to work for at least few years, but have never been to Niedersachsen before. So I would really appreciate your pieces of advice.

How is the life in Emden and Leer? And which city is better for living (for years)? Leer seems nicer according to wikipedia, but I am not sure if the living cost there is higher than Emden, and if it is worth spending more than 2 hours per day just for travelling to/back from work.

I want to take integration courses or German language course, do you have any suggestion for a good place to take these courses in Emden or Leer? I work all day and can only take the course at evening though.

Thanks in advance :)

Hello, just stumbled across this thread and was pleasantly surprsed to see that there are actually are expats living in Ostfriesland (or were at the time this thread was created)! Are any of you still floating about? I often have the feeling I am the only person here who is not an "Ostfriese"!!!! Would love to get in touch with anybody living in the area! Katrina

Hi KatBrown.

I've just stumbled across this thread too. Yes. One British expat living near papenburg! ! Is there anyone else??

We are an English couple who moved to dornum 8 months ago. We would love to meet up with other brits