Bahncard 50 - rail card from Deutsche Bahn

68 posts in this topic

Im planning to take the overnight train for easter to paris and was wondering if i should buy the bahn 50 to get a half price on my ticket. Anyone has been using this card and knows the benefits of it? The site is in german so didnt pick up much from it.

One, if you look, the bahn website has an English button.

Two, if you do a search, you'll find a few conversations about the bahn 50 card.

I think there's a special offer on at the mo, where if you buy this card, you get another card for your partner free! if you don't have a partner, i'd be willing to take it ;)

@showem

one if you look the english button is only for travel timetables and services

two if you search for bahn 50 card...I found no converstations ABOUT BAHN CARDS!!!

@urbanangel

Dont have a partner ;) but i get the students discount (i can buy the card for half the price)so i dont think this offer is valid for me.

Okay, I just noticed that about the bahn site. As for the conversation about bahn cards, read this link:

Deutsche Bahn Prices

The bahn-card system is a bit tricky:

A BC50 costs €200 and gives you 50% discount

A BC25 costs €50 and gives you 25% discount.

With the BC25 and without BC you can get an additional 50% or 25% discount if you book early and they've still got some cheap seats on the train. With this option you are tied to particular trains, i.e. you can't choose to take a later train at short notice etc.

Your choice of bc should include the following thoughts:

1. how often will you need the card? With the BC50 you'll only start saving money once your total without BC exceeds €400, with the BC25 this starts at €67.

2. If you always know well in advance exactly which trains you'll take, you can save up to 67.5% with the BC25 if you get the 25% BC discounts and the 50% early booking discount.

3. If you're travelling abroad, any BC discount will only worl on the section of your journey inside Germany.

Yo!

The discount will only be valid till the german border. No discount once you enter 'cheese-wine and oh, I am so sophisticated' land :P

xargy

<Rustles anorak>

For an extra €15 you can buy "Rail Plus" which is a European extension to the Bahncard and gets you a 20% (I think, I can't remember exactly ) discount on the non-German section.

these percentages all sound mega complicated, do they not.

Piss easy Schotte! :)

EUR 200 for 50% off

EUR 50 for 25% off.

EUR 15 for 20% off on jurneys outside Germany.

Book in advance on fixed trains and get 25% off and you can combine this with the 25% Bahncard to get 50% off on the German section.

I tread last week that Deutsche Bahn now only carries about 15% of its passengers at the standard fares!

Learn the ropes, save a packet! :)

(Note: For Bavarian train journeys off peak you might well be better off using the other deals, Bahncard is best for inter-state inter Inter City jouneys)

i agree schotte...my brain is saturated at the moment with all the calculations. im still confused on what to do. I just called up the service and they told me it costs 94 euros by the night train to paris with a bahn card normally it is 156! i have no clue if i buy the railplus,will i get a further discount? :huh:

[book in advance on fixed trains and get 25% off and you can combine this with the 25% Bahncard to get 50% off on the German section.]

How much in advance do u have to book these tickets to avail the discounts?

i think it all varies again doesnt it. i dont *think* there is a set formula for this. which makes it even worse.

I recommend you drop in to EurAide, tell them about the travelling you plan to do at Easter and in future, and let them sort you out as to whether you need a BahnCard, and if so, what kind. They'll give you a straight and honest answer, and if you decide to go for the BahnCard, they will even sell it to you.

From what you have posted so far, it doesn't seem that buying a BahnCard 50 would be worthwhile for just one trip.

I mentioned earlier on another thread that I got a ticket to Florence at EurAide today for Easter and got 50% off my ticket under the "Sparpreis 50" plan. I don't have a BahnCard. I think the discount was for booking in advance, and there are restrictions on changing my ticket (I would have to pay extra to travel on a different day or train than the one I booked.) The ticket cost a total of 154,20 for

round-trip, two people, day trains.

EurAide is along Track 11 in the main hall of Hauptbahnhof.

i have to second that. Euraide are the experts on international travel and especially sleeper carraiges. I have bought literally dozens of tickets from them over the past 4 years, all international trips to Holland, France, Belgum etc and if there is a cheap fare possible then they will find it for you. The chaps in the Reisebureau have theoretically the very same access to tickets over their computers but are lazy buggers and will only offer you the first thing that comes up on the screen, which is often the fastest or more direct connection, not the cheapest!!

A little tip on the side, if you can bring yourself to travel during the daytime, you could try and book the french and german parts of the journey separately over the web. Strasbourg to paris can be got for as little as 20 euro each way through the french railways leaving you to try and get all the discounts possible on the german leg of the journey as far as strasbourg through Deutsche Bahn. It seems to be that the germans never give the full discounts for france nor the french for travel in germany. They are getting better but often worth a try to book separately.

still and all, if it really really must be a nighttrain then Euraide are the ones to be talking to.

DB have been doing some super super super special deals on night trains that were one-off prices so you MAY, SOMETIMES see a deal that is amazongly cheap but a one off. Eg: they had overnight to Rome in a seat for EUR 29 last year!

IIRC to get the nomral advance booking discount you have to book AT LEAST 3 days in advance, you have to get FIXED trains and the discount is bigger if it is over a weekend I think.

Note: There is a LIMITED contigency of cheap seats on each train. ie If you tried to book a seat at the start of a holiday season just 3 days before: no chance. Same as cheaper flights.