Ausländerbehörde refuses proof of income

19 posts in this topic

I have a friend who just messaged me saying that her Artist Visa was denied due to what they considered to be a lack of verifiable funds. She is from here in Seattle, but her bank is in Eugene Oregon, where she went to college.

She pulled the account info off of the page as a printout, but they stated it wasn't credible. Kind of weird. I helped her by putting some cash into her account, so I know that it would be sufficient. It stated there was about $12600.

She mentioned that she offered to login to the account, but would have to go and get the password etc.

I thought having her present a printout from the bank, via web would be sufficient. What would folks recommend, a different printout? Do they ask you to login there to see the amount? This seems sort of strange to me.

There wasn't anything else in the application that couldn't be verified, as she has a large portfolio and several credible showings.

Anyone else experience this or something similar would be helpful.

I helped her by putting some cash into her account,

Hmmm. So, in other words, the Ausländerbehörde is dead right. It's not "credible". She hasn't got enough verifiable cash to support herself. What she has is has an artifically high bank balance, thanks to borrowing a mate's cash. Show a detailed transaction history and it'd have been: "now, what's that big sum that just happened to appear shortly before you needed it".

So sounds like - indeed - she hadn't shown them sufficient evidence / detail that she has her *own* money to support herself. Nothing gets past them, does it? But, then, they've probably seen that old "use mate's cash" trick enough times by now.

I thought having her present a printout from the bank, via web would be sufficient.

And why wouldn't it be sufficient? It's not like anyone can just fake a believable-looking bank website. Oh, wait.

To provide credible evidence that she is financially secure, she could try submitting a copy of her last US tax return.

Well, one thing that they acknowledge is if you get a certified letter from a Steuerberater stating that her quarterly income was [some] amount.

Also, as TK mentioned her tax return should also be acknowledged although you might again need a Steuerberater to attest it.

Hope that helps.

Generally they want a few months as proof - this then shows that there was regular income rather than one lump sum donated by a friend trying to deceive the authorities. I was told they wanted to see 3 months.

I find it helps vastly if you bring a native German speaker with you into the Ausländerbehörde. They do not seem overly patient with anyone whose German is less than perfect, but that could just be the experience of people I've known. I've personally never gone in there without my boyfriend because they terrify me :lol: and because I don't want to waste their time any more than they want it wasted. A friend of mine who has lived here for years was told that her visa was denied on the grounds that her German wasn't good enough. Is that even legal? Well, but I guess there's nothing obligating them to approve you, even if all your shit is in order. At some point you come to realize, this 90-year-old broad who can't even keep her eyes open is deciding my fate. She's not sending my form off to some other office for approval. This regular, normal office worker is the one who decides whether I stay or go.

Make her life as easy as possible and maybe she will do the same for you.

Been there twice to extend my visa and have never been asked to show a bank printout or encountered any of the myriad difficulties others have complained about when going to visit Mrs. Assmann. So tell your friend to bring a native speaker in there with her and see if it doesn't make a difference.

They accepted my internet print off, but I was showing lack of income, vs proof os self sustainability. I imagine they are looking for many red flags in her case. Try to have her get something from the bank, with official letter head. But as states she has to show ongoing consonant income. If you just chucked in 5 grand last week, it is not going to cut it.

I do remember around 2005 , invoices or bank proofs where enough to get the artist or self employed Visa.

I went there in 2008 to renew and they send me back home with no visa ): ... they demanded a Steuerberatung statement of my income , the said the law changed and they cant trust invoices or bank statements anymore ,makes sense , everyone can fake invoices or dump geld into a bank account temporarily...

once i provided this document she gave me my visa in a second.

tell your friend she needs to contact a steuer berater or tax acc, if she is not able to provide this documents to the amt things might get complicated even be imposible for her to get her visa.

laws seem to change every year and its getting harder to get visas as easy as before..

hope it helps

Yep, proof of income means showing that money is continuing to come into the account. A snapshot of the account balance at a particular moment isn't proof of income, but rather proof of funds available at that particular time. Two minutes later you could decide to pay off your student loan/home mortgage/whatever and suddenly the account is down to 1 euro. So of course they won't accept a simple bank statement showing a hefty balance as proof of income. Because it isn't. They want to see a history of money coming into the account, preferably on a fairly regular basis. Much easier for regular employees who can show a few months worth of standard income statements or paycheck stubs. Now freelancers and artists are being held to similar standards. Obviously they won't be getting identical amounts of money every month, but they should be able to show that money is coming in from external sources and in a regular enough way that basic living costs are covered.

I do remember around 2005 , invoices or bank proofs where enough to get the artist or self employed Visa.

I went there in 2008 to renew and they send me back home with no visa ): ... they demanded a Steuerberatung statement of my income , the said the law changed and they cant trust invoices or bank statements anymore ,makes sense , everyone can fake invoices or dump geld into a bank account temporarily...

once i provided this document she gave me my visa in a second.

tell your friend she needs to contact a steuer berater or tax acc, if she is not able to provide this documents to the amt things might get complicated even be imposible for her to get her visa.

laws seem to change every year and its getting harder to get visas as easy as before..

hope it helps

Yeah that should be no problem. Thanks for the advice, she definitely has the ability to demonstrate this income. We just thought that there was some magic account balance number. People have mentioned that it is somewhere around $12-$13k, so that's why she needed the cash to get the balance. It's good to know what documents you need...I'll tell her to submit her Tax docs from this year and get a printout from the bank, on their paper. It's just unfortunate cuz it isn't a local bank here in Seattle.

Thanks for the help.

I only loaned her $2000, so it really isn't that much of an artificial inflation.

Hello,

I'm about to apply for an extension of my freelance visa.

Does anyone know of the minimum amount of profit that I need to make in order to qualify for an extension?

My living expenses are farely low so I'm not worried about that part.

Thank you

You are supposed to earn over what you could (theoretically) receive in welfare benefits, i.e. rent + health insurance + 382€/month + Werbeskostenpauschale.

On 1/15/2014, 10:52:55, engelchen said:

You are supposed to earn over what you could (theoretically) receive in welfare benefits, i.e. rent + health insurance + 382€/month + Werbeskostenpauschale.

Is there somewhere I could find this updated amount for 2020?

Hi, I have helped some friends with their visa applications, what I always did is:

- for all the required documents you have an official one, no print outs, if it is a bank statement they are asking for I go to the bank and ask for it.

- for all the required documents, always present more than requested, if they ask for 2 months I get 3 months.

- I guess what is the "spirit" or need behind and prepare an "extra documents" folder adding any extra document I can think of supporting the required document.

- all required documents are translated into German

- for all documents I included copies as well as originals, even if not asked

hope it helps

Thanks! I've renewed successfully once already (each issuance in 2-year increments), and this will be my third renewal (I'll be eligible for permanent residency next year, assuming my visa this year is renewed). I was just wondering if @engelchen knew the updated amounts expected for visa renewal in 2020. 

I don't know how to calculate how much you could get from Harz IV. I do know that it's only a way of estimating it though. It's not a fixed amount like it is for some other permits. It's up to the discretion of the immigration officer at your interview. I'm sure they have formulas etc. they go by, and they look at your specific rent and health insurance costs. I think it's probably in the ballpark of €1300/month, at least in Berlin, but don't take my word for it. I've got my permit renewed before even though I earned less than that.

I imagine they'd be more strict, or maybe want to see somewhat more than that, for a permanent permit.

2 hours ago, sumguy said:

I don't know how to calculate how much you could get from Harz IV.

€ 432 for a single + rent + heating (not hot water though) + health insurance (I guess capped at the cost of public health insurance) should give you a good idea.

Thank you, jeba! I should have no problem with that sans the months of April and May.