Cycling from Munich to Italy

28 posts in this topic

This is also something I'm looking into and am supposedly in training for it now (he says, taking a another sip of cold beer). I haven't selected a route or got any riding partners so this is also something else you might want to talk about.

I'm aiming to do it off-road as much as possible and ride for about 7 days (pretty standard).

There are a number of companies that do guided tours over the mountains, which is an option (albeit expensive) if, like me, you don't have a great deal of experience of riding in the high Alps. I did a lot of riding in the Karwendel area last year and around Garmisch, but nothing on the scale of a trans-Alp crossing. If nothing else, this site is useful for checking out some of the routes along with difficulty rating.

http://www.joko-biketours.de/index.html

I'm just beginning to look into this and finding the time to do it will actually be my first barrier. My riding plans this year are going to be first taken by RAGBRAI in July and the Roc d'Azur in October, so another week long riding event is likely to get me killed.

But either this or the Trans Atlas in Morocco are to be planned for 2011.

If my registration does not go through for RAGRBAI, then I'll consider a Transalp as a fall back plan for this year -- my current riding is mostly focused on road riding but a long off-road would be great although my experience with riding in the high Alps is much more limited to a few outings.

Thanks for that link!

I am planning to ride Munich -> Riva del Garda. In Riva a break of a few days and then back. I will ride my commuter (used to be a MTB before I converted, now it has slim tires, can do some offroad but better not too rough). I intend to sleep in hotels (too old and lazy for carrying a tent).

Any recent advice on the good routes? I hope to do it in 4-5 days per way (I know this is ambitious, most people do it in 7days).

Well, so far I found only onew route online.

No way I can do in 4-5days, it's got over 13000m elevation gain.

Need more info on what you're planning on doing.  From your first e-mail it sounded like you were planning on staying on roads, ie - going over Brennerpass or such.  That would be less than 1000m, and a total of 370km.

Do you want to do easy "logging" trails instead?  How much vertical?

Thanks for the links.

Distance and elevation gain I can average daily max say 120km and 1500m. Wish I could do more but I live in Hamburg, no chance to train for climbing (used to be good when I was young and lived in a good place).

No need to stay on road, but if going off-road I prefer not too rough ones..

Two options:

1) I can do one go in 5days, so I do 5days to go, stay in Riva a few days, and another 5days coming back.

2) Do it in >5days, say 7 or 8, so do only one way and return with the train. Same average daily distance and gain.