Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Balcony pots and plants shopping

38 posts in this topic

Thyme is dead easy. Can't kill the stuff off whatever I do.

Mint is pretty hardy too.

I dont want to have to go on the balcony every 3 days to sort out my plants.

Limits your options a bit that does. Just did our balcony this weekend. I've planted herbs and lavender, and they will require watering as the have no deep root options. If you want to go for a riot of colour, I would suggest growing your own annuals from seed. Something like a couple of Trachterwinder (Versuvious variaety spelling please!) in a pot climbing up a frame work of some form is a sight to see. What I do have is a clementis which I hope will do some decent growth this year aswell. But again, you have to water them. I'm thinking of doing along tray of wheat to add a more grass like feel to the floor sections. Oh I could wax lyrical about plants. Sad git that I am.

Thanks for the tips, ok, I am willing to look after the plants a little if I have to. So you reckon a few seeds planted would be fine. How often would I need to water them in the early stages?

So you reckon a few seeds planted would be fine. How often would I need to water them in the early stages?

Daily. They should be kept damp. Follow the seed instructions carefully and don't overplant. A small fist sized pot should have a couple of plants that germiate. Then "pickieren". I would recommend you grow them in a pot inside. I have a book all about such stuff. Will lend you it on the weekend if you're down.

I will be at Touch on Sunday. Will be doing my balcony on Sat though. Ok, I just google and stuff. Will get the German to read the intructions on the back of the packet.

Will get the German to read the intructions on the back of the packet.

Damm handy thing to have around them.

Buy the good quality seeds. Not the standard Obi ones but the more expensive ones in the diamond shaped packets. I've had terrific results with them. A pack should last you a couple of years if stored correctly. I'll still bring the book on sunday anyways, you won't be handeling the seedlings for a couple of days anyway.

Define crap? Cheap packets are a bit of a pig in a poke. You may find the germination to seed ratio is low and the quality of the grown plant not as good. As you're looking for annuals, it's worth the extra 1 euro to know the plant seed is from good stock, germinates well (which saves you costs in the next couple of years) and produces a good number of well formed flowers.

This is a link for you.

What ever you do do not forget to fertilise. Buy the fertiliser sticks which you can insert into the soil and forget about.

Not sure how active this thread still is, but I didn't want to start a new one and incur the wrath of the TT gods. :)

I'm looking for a recommendation for an outdoor shrub type thing. My entire balcony wall is a planter box, its about 4 metres long and maybe 50cm wide. Everyone else's has nice pretty flowering plants, but because I'm on street level I want something like a small shrub to help with a bit of privacy.

Anyone got a recommendation?

colonizethemoon, it depends a lot on what kind of exposure you have. which way does the balcony face? And/or how much direct sun does it get?

you might be able to use Bamboo (great for a screen, but tall) or boxwood or conifers etc...depends on conditions

Oh, thanks lisa13!

Just googled boxwood and they look great. I think my balcony faces north and while its quite bright all day I don't think it gets much direct sunlight.

thanks for the recommendations! :)