Indian restaurants in Frankfurt

44 posts in this topic

Taj Tandoori - nice ambience, but a real disappointment, the samosas were sad, the paneer tasted bad. overall felt it was a rip off.

Diya, - the new restaurant on Habsburger/wittelsbacherallee - really good food, nice service.

Indian Curry House - good tasty food, Thali works out good in the afternoons, as long as u keep the quantity expectations low, ull be fine! gOOD SERVIce too.

Jewel of India - great ambience, great food! a bit expensive with a couple of drinks naturally. Their service is also pretty nice. Children friendly. They always have a Kinder choco egg for the lil ones, which is kind of sweet.

Tried one pakistani - indian restaurant kind of a thing near the Zeil area, nice spicy food! not a great ambience though, i think it was called Curry house or Spice house or something, generous portions, cheap.

Bombay Palace - good food, decent ambience, nice service.

Looking foward to try Mayuri one of these days, and dying to try good south indian food from someplace soon!

Till then MTR it will be.. (hurray for ready mixes..)

It has a lot to do with the Embassy employees at New-Delhi German Embassy. If a south Indian applies for the visa, they make him fail the cooking test.

Friends of mine have tried two years to get a South Indian cook across. The cook is there, but the restaurant is in Schwäbisch hall, unfortunately for you.

I've been to a few Indian restaurants in FFM and Wiesbaden and not been impressed with any of them really. Although being from the Birmingham area I guess I'm a bit spoilt and my expectations are too high!

The best I've sampled was the India Palace on Darmstädter Landstraße in Sachsenhausen. The only place where it tasted of real spice and not just curry powder out of a jar.

Generally I go to the Thai / Vietnamese places instead which are actually pretty good, and save my Indian food cravings for a good old Balti (in a proper dish with a table size naan bread) whenever I'm back home :-)

I've been to a few Indian restaurants in FFM and Wiesbaden and not been impressed with any of them really. Although being from the Birmingham area I guess I'm a bit spoilt and my expectations are too high!The best I've sampled was the India Palace on Darmstädter Landstraße in Sachsenhausen. The only place where it tasted of real spice and not just curry powder out of a jar.Generally I go to the Thai / Vietnamese places instead which are actually pretty good, and save my Indian food cravings for a good old Balti (in a proper dish with a table size naan bread) whenever I'm back home :-)

I lived in Brum for 9 years or so, and it's true you won't find a decent balti house or be able to tuck into a family naan anywhere around here, but India Palace in Bensheim (www.india-palace-bensheim.de) is still the nicest I've been to in the area. The sauces don't all taste of the same creamy blandness and there's a nice kick (enought to tingle without dominating all the tastes) if you order a spicy dish. Proper naan bread and decent lassis.

Try www.restaurant-ganesha.de in Frankfurt

A typical south Indian restaurant with reasonable prices..

I´ve given up on FF bland versions of Indian curry, and do not understand certain establishments throwing in a coconut heavy bamboo version of a Thai curry on the menu as well. There are some decent Indian shops selling all the basic ingredients and contrary to what I was taught and believed, found making this can be fast fun cheap and healthy. Its on my menu once a week now!

Just a thought. :-)

Have any of you been to the row of restaurants on Weser Strasse, in between Kaiser Str. and Munchener Str. ? I have been to 3 of them now, but keep coming back to the one called Chilli's. They do a lunch buffet for 6.50 €, that we have had 3 times now and been very pleased. Went with some friends today for a birthday lunch and everyone liked it, as the spice was a decent hotness. Service was quick, friendly and the place does a booming lunch business.

While we were waiting today for the rest of my friends to show up, as we had gotten there about 20 min. early, the owner asked if we would mind moving for a bit and then we could have a larger table when my friends arrived. No problem, and then magically 2 delicious mango lassis appeared on our table as a thank you. Now that is service the Germans could take a few notes on.

Try it and if you think it is a good one, maybe we could have another curry night there, though it is fairly small.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

All indian food lovers , please recommend good indian restaurants in Main taunus / frankfurt region

Admin note: All Indian food lovers, please use search box

I went to Diya on Friday night (3.9.10) and it was really good. I especially liked the free condiments (lime pickle, mango chutney and minted yogurt) with papadams and the mango lassi! We had the fish curry, butter chicken, rice and drinks and all together it was 41 Euro. The service was great, the menu was in German and English and the waiter spoke fluent English. I will be going back for sure.

I have been to Ganesha restaurant and will strongly NOT recommend it. We are south Indians, went there on a Saturday full of hopes of munching on delicious masala dosas n sambar. The place was small dark and no customers present when we arrived. The dosas were thick and half cooked, the stuffing of spiced mashed potato tasted mediocre at best.. and both me and wife nursed an upset tummy for the next couple of days. The place is not even Indian, its run by a Sri lankan family, and I guess it caters mainly to the office crowd near Hbf on weekdays.

@Moondancer, I also been to the joints in Weser Str between Munchener and Kaiser str, and one of them serves delicious Chana Bhature. Theres also Indian Spice nearby, run by a Sikh guy who served us a complimentary Gulab Jamun when we dined there for lunch..

Theres also India Palace near Lokalbahnhof serves good food. When we asked if we can get Rotis instead of rice with our dishes, the lady owner graciously agreed, and proceeded to serve us both Roti and Rice.. so it turned out that Rotis were served complimentary. Hows that for service ,compared to german restaurants where I feel they want to charge even for the oxygen which I breathe inside their place..

I went to Indian Chilli in the Weserstrasse for lunch yesterday for the first time, and was impressed. A choice of 4 or 5 dishes were on offer as the buffet, along with basmati rice. You could also get samosas and the like. I had a couple of spoonfuls on a lamb dish, a chicken dish, rice, and a vegetable samosa and diet coke which came to 11 eur in total. I was full after having that, but could have gone back for more had I not been.

I have to say the best curry ive ever had in Frankfurt and the surrounding areas was a Lamb Vindaloo at Diya. This is closely followed by the Chicken Chilli Masala dish at Maharaja Palace 2 in Bad Soden, and a Chicken Vindaloo had at Banjara near Lokalbahnhof. All had in the same day. Not really.

Has anyone seen Phall on offer anywhere?? I imagine the strength would be nearer to that of a hot Madras if anywhere is doing it here though, as the Germans seem unable to take their spices (apart from at Best Worscht of course).

The Jewel of India in Königstein is also fairly decent, should you find yourself that far out in the sticks...

@jatinkumar24 yes it was fairly recently, say 6 weeks ago. it had been forced to shut beforehand as there had been a fire in the loft of the building (nothing to do with the restaurant itself, which is located 4 or 5 floors below on the ground floor).

So you know if Diya also still running? On Google Maps there is an indication that it has closed but the webpage is still there and people seem to suggest it often.