Pet sitters in Nuremberg

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any recommendations for pet sitters in Nuremberg? We are looking for someone to drop in on the cats during a trip to Italy next week.

Thanks,

Erik

Hi Erik

Sorry I can't help you on this one as I am not around this week but I did find some info for you (if it is too late sorry, hope you got sorted)

http://bayern.kijiji.de/c-Tiere-Tierbetreu...QAdIdZ131976579 (person in Erlangen either her place or yours, email for info)

http://www.haustiere.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=42672 (this Michelle lass sounded fine but you'd need to join the forum to pm her)

okay *this* is the best website to look at...

http://tsv-noris.selzer-web.de/

it's a local animal protection group and they have a list of 33 petsitters (they recruit on-line so no guarantees as to quality of petsitting but there seems to be a few that do this for a living) Don't know how good your German is. Click on Tierbetreuung then Betreuungstellen. Scroll down the list looking for Katzen!

Hopefully you will strike lucky and find one near you that doesn't fleece you. You didn't say whereabouts in Nürnberg you are - if near the Altstadt/city centre I may be able to help you out on another occasion. Enjoy Italy!

Thanks for the reply, PCDonkey.

We have a friend coming to check in on the cats, so we're all set this time, but the leads you gave will come in handy in the future. We do live in the Altstadt.

--ErikZ

Hi Erik,

I'm not in the Altstadt but am not too, too far away (Maxfeld). We're "newly-moved" and are going on vacation for two weeks at the end of Aug / beg September and are looking for someone to stop in daily and look after our cat. I'd be open to discussing sort of a cat-care exchange. If you're interested send me a message.

And for anyone else who lands on this topic I'm actively looking for:

• cat sitters who will come to our apartment
  • pet owners who'd like to trade pet-sitting
  • Also any recommendations for professional services, cat hotels, etc. We've never boarded our tom cat before and have no idea what to look out for. I'm reluctant about the whole idea and would appreciate any feedback that would help us make the best decision for fuzzy guy. He's pretty important to us.

Thanks,

Megan

Greetings,

I now need help finding someone to care for my cat during week's vacation. ideally 1x per day visit to feed her. i live in nuremberg. did any of you have success? any suggestions? appreciate any help! Lynn

Hello Lynn

Could help you out if it's a week which falls between 18th August - 7th Sept (if you are near the Altstadt) otherwise not able to but the post above (Megan) might be worth PMing or some of the links I gave Erik. There was a cat-hotel in the area too but I would need to regoogle it (and I'm out in a min) but if the above dates coincide with your week away then PM me.

We're also looking for someone to watch our 2 American Dobermans (very friendly) for a week in September. If anyone has any first hand recommendations, that would be great. Our friend just accepted a new job and sort of left us in the lurch at the last minute. =/

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!

Hi there everyone,

Well I am back after vacation and saw there was some activity on the topic, so for anyone else dealing with this issue, here's what happened with us.

I was unsuccessful in finding anyone in time to come to the apartment and feed our cat Fergus. This was no surprise as we're new in town (and here). We looked for a freelance catsitter, a house-sitter and into housecleaning services that also provide vacation service for plants and pets. The first two couldn't be found and the last we finally rejected because of the length of time we would be gone.

Our reasoning was that if someone does a half-ass job for four days, there's no long term danger to the cat, but without even really knowing our neighbors, we just couldn't risk coming home to a cat who hadn't been looked after properly for over two weeks.

That left the dreaded cat hotel. We'd heard some stories and were not thrilled at this being our only option. Fergus is an indoor cat, used to a quiet life (and a bit of a chickenshit for no good reason), so we knew this would be a challenge. With some research and following some recommendations we ended up choosing the "Catotel" cat hotel outside of Nberg (http://catotel.de). We visited it beforehand and decided to try it despite the distance (40 min from our home) with a weekend test run, which went ok.

After picking Fergus up from the longer two week stay, I can give this positive feedback:

The cat hotel is a renovated cottage/shed on a small farm in the country. The place is clean, with plenty of indoor and outdoor spaces for cats to run around, cat boxes, water fountains, cushy sleep nooks, etc. All the cats run free but there is again tons of space for the antisocials. The lady who runs it is clearly a cat lover, professional, and very nice. When she walks into the secure enclosure they all run to her. All the cats we saw there were healthy, most were friendly, all apparently content. She's also really flexible with drop off and pick-up times. I think we paid 8 euros a day, which included food.

If we have to, we will consider using the Catotel again (http://catotel.de/)

Contact info:

Fr. Poehlmann

info@catotel.de

http://catotel.de/

Another place we will investigate as a reserve (and closer) option was recommended by our vet: Katzenhotel Tinka (www.katzenhotel-tinka.de). We have not seen this one yet, but will as several people have suggested it.

However: Our cat is not one that enjoys this kind of thing. He came home in good spirits - very happy to see us - and pretty clean (no parasites = most important). But he's a picky, slow eater, and as we feared, lost a lot of weight. We are still looking for better options. Anyone living near Maxfeld who would like to exchange pet sitting services or would like to audition as our cat sitter is invited to contact me.

Hello,

if anyone is still in need of pet-sitting, I am available! I have all weekends free and mornings and days until 16.00 (Mo-Thu).

Our family has a dog kennel (in Finland) and I have been raising dogs since I was little, so I have a lot of experience. We have also cats. Feel free to contact if you need a petsitter :)

Greetings,

I moved to nuremberg last April and have found the PERFECT pet sitter! Her name is Kate. It's such a releif to know Jerry's well taken care of when i travel. I work long hours so Kate also comes over daily to play with her. Kate takes wonderful care of Jerry, who just loves her. One time when i was in the US Jerry got sick and Kate even took her to the vet for me. She's helped me change Jerry's diet and work through her diagnosis of kidney disease. Kate knows alot about animals and truly cares about them! If you live within walking distance of Schweppermannstrasse (just north of the castle), and would like to speak with Kate to see if she can help you, the best way to contact her would be email at ekhalt@yahoo.de. tell her "lynn" sent you. regards, Lynn

hi, just for future pet - sitting needs, i do pet sitting. i have lots of experience with cats and dogs (and a hermit crab), have done a lot of pet sitting and dog walking in the states. i now live part time in nürnberg, and would be happy to do some pet sitting here as well. plese contact me for more info and references if you are interested. greetings, martina

Hi There,

If anyone needs any type of pet assistance in the nuremberg area, please consider contacting Canicare! Kate Halt, the owner, offers many pet services, including pet grooming, pet sitting and relocation services. Kate speaks English very well and can help you and your pet adjust to GMy linkerman life by finding food and services that meet your needs. below is her website, where i have posted a detailed referral. Additionally, please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions! Kate can really make your life easier! Lynn

http://canincare.de/?lang=en

We are new to Nuremberg and are currently looking for a pet-sitter for our six year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Right now we need care for him over the Thanksgiving holiday (November 21-December 2). We prefer to drop him off with the pet-sitter. We speak English and a little German. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

AVOID THIS PLACE!!! Katzenhotel Tinka (www.katzenhotel-tinka.de) - I have been there, and it was awful...

I have two Somali cats, and when I was going back to the UK for a few days, I took my cats to this place a couple of hours before my flight was due to leave... let's just say I missed my flight because of this idiot, and had to leave the cats unattended at home, otherwise cancel the trip altogether (which was not an option).

I pre-arranged a time to be there. It's difficult to find, it's behind a busy "Werkstatt" (very loud construction zone with heavy machinery)- when I got there, he wasn't there...I waited 20 minutes for him, then he casually drove up, without even an apology, said he'd gone out for lunch, "a man needs to eat, you know". He took me through to the back of the property. At first glance it seemed very nice. But then it turned out that actually, the cats would get dumped into a common room of 10+ cats... (so infections can be spread, and fighting can cause injuries).

He reached into the cat carriers, grabbed them hard by the scruff of their necks, and literally threw them into the room of cats - where they sat, terrified, growling and wailing, being stalked by the other cats... (this upset me that it would be so stressful for my cats, he had not told me this on the phone)

Then he took me up to another room, and it turned out that actually the price he gave me on the phone was wrong, it wasn't 30€/day, it was over 60€/day, outright robbery! So I said I wanted my cats back, and said I felt he'd been dishonest, and I was not happy about my indoor cats being thrown into a room of 10+ cats (I was worried about injuries and vets bills)...and he refused to give my cats back unless I paid him 120€ for their release (the full invoice amount)...I said no, and it turned into an argument, he became abusive and shouted at me "go back to England, Germany doesn't need stupid people like you"...I had to call police to get my cats back - I was badly shaken, and couldn't believe it, and missed my flight (which cost me more money to rebook). He made me a pay 12€ in the end to have them back...I got them, put them in their carriers and left, very, very shocked at what happened there.

It looks OK on the website...but it's not in real life!

AVOID!!!

Anyone have any tips on a daily hunde pet hotel?  Both for intermittent 1/2 days and occassional overnights.  Someone I know recommended this one, which sounds good, but it 45 minutes from Nuremberg, making it a little tough to get to.

If anyone has experience with one closer to Nuremberg and preferably on the way to Ehrlangen, that would be great.  

Because she is so young, I actually do not want a pet walker and to leave her alone or put her in someone elses apartment.  

http://www.peggy-bell.com/preise.htm

I'm currently living in Nuremberg's Altstadt and am available for pet-sitting, either hosting them in my flat or going to your flat -- I'm flexible.  Just send me a private message and we can talk details!

Cheers!