Chimney sweep access to your house

55 posts in this topic

Is there something like a required service/inspection schedule posted somewhere? How do I know what's a required check for my heating system? Our house was converted to a gas heater from oil and I don't know if the chimney sweep needs to adjust their visits. They're coming by soon to clean, inspect, and measure exhaust.

10 minutes ago, AlexCLE said:

Is there something like a required service/inspection schedule posted somewhere? How do I know what's a required check for my heating system? Our house was converted to a gas heater from oil and I don't know if the chimney sweep needs to adjust their visits. They're coming by soon to clean, inspect, and measure exhaust.

Here you´ll find the district chimney sweeper in charge of your district. Click on "

BEVOLLMÄCHTIGTER BEZIRKSSCHORNSTEINFEGER " and enter your postcode. He´ll be able to answer your questions.

Jeba... He didnt ask who is Official sweeper is.. He asked about cleaning requirements... You really need to read what people ask... 

@AlexCLE  I beleive that the chimney sweep scam continues as normal for you... they need to ensure that your heating system can breath and fart correctly...

Its all about the money!

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Here you´ll find the district chimney sweeper in charge of your district. Click on "

BEVOLLMÄCHTIGTER BEZIRKSSCHORNSTEINFEGER " and enter your postcode. He´ll be able to answer your questions.

I thought since 2013 you are allowed to choose any chimney sweeper and their fares were freed to the free markets (except a couple of fares, including inspection of new chimneys).

I

Yes.. thats very true... 

But to inspect and certificate the chimney only the official Sweep for your region can do it...

As I live right on the border of RLP and Hessen... My Sweep is one of my Hessen Buddies where as the official oversee-er of my chimney live in RLP... 

Look up to a rooftop among the houses throughout Upper Bavaria, Germany, and you might find 18-year-old Luisa Tonetto doing one of the daily tasks of her job, such as building a chimney. Tonetto is a chimney sweep apprentice – a hands-on job that dates back to the Middle Ages in Germany.The 18 year old chimney sweep...

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p06w35c1/the-18-year-old-chimney-sweep

11 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Yes.. thats very true... 

But to inspect and certificate the chimney only the official Sweep for your region can do it...

As I live right on the border of RLP and Hessen... My Sweep is one of my Hessen Buddies where as the official oversee-er of my chimney live in RLP... 

That's confusing, so you pay one guy to come and sweep it and then another guy to come and check it?   Are you sure that's the way it is required?  I thought only when the chimney is new you have to call the "official" one.

We continued using the same guy after 2013 but from that year he became extremely friendly, like super friendly and he actually helped me finding a second hand part to fix our boiler a couple of years ago.   I can clearly see a change of attitude pre- and post- 2013.

My official designated chimney sweep is in it for the money... He choses to do an official check-ip every 34-5 years and charged 30€ for each sweep 4x per year...

My chosen Sweep, prefers a beer and a Pizza when he sweeps the thing for me... 

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

My official designated chimney sweep is in it for the money... He choses to do an official check-ip every 34-5 years and charged 30€ for each sweep 4x per year...

So after 4 years he decides to come and sweep 4 times in the same year? 

That's really weird.

Our guy comes twice per year, once around October and he sweeps.  Then he comes again in February and check the emissions from the boiler.  Then he passes us a bill of around 90 EUR for the whole thing (both visits).

No.. you clown..:lol:.

He comes every 4-5 years to do the official check up... before I chose to go elsewhere, he came 4x per year!!

Now that I have my chimley swept by my buddy... It only costs Pizza and Beer... ( My buddy does need to send a statement anually that says he has swept... I then need to send that to my official bod.

Still, those 4x a year look excessive.  Ours only sweeps once a year.

And actually I don't understand why ours has to come twice, once to sweep and one to read emissions.   My untrained self would assume you could do those two tasks in one visit.   It is like they want to check emissions when the crap is dirty again.

My chimney is used for a woodburning stove... 

4 times is a bit excessive... but I my chimney is clean and my Sweep is full and happy!

56 minutes ago, Tallicame said:

Look up to a rooftop among the houses throughout Upper Bavaria, Germany, and you might find 18-year-old Luisa Tonetto doing one of the daily tasks of her job, such as building a chimney. Tonetto is a chimney sweep apprentice – a hands-on job that dates back to the Middle Ages in Germany.The 18 year old chimney sweep...

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p06w35c1/the-18-year-old-chimney-sweep

I already posted that somewhere... "Things that need sharing" or sommat like that

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

Our guy comes twice per year, once around October and he sweeps.  Then he comes again in February and check the emissions from the boiler.  Then he passes us a bill of around 90 EUR for the whole thing (both visits).

Almost identical to us. Ours send an underling (who is kind of weird) for the sweeping, and comes himself for the emissions. Which is fine. Ours seem to be on a cycle of testing, as well - this year was a cheap one, and I think if memory serves, there's a more expensive one every few years. We have gas central heating as well as the wood stove, and that probably makes a difference too.

On 16.2.2019, 09:25:07, SpiderPig said:

My friendly sweep says that the complete industry is becoming a scam and an utter pain in the arse...

But that industry has brilliant marketing - they have convinced every German that they bring good luck (Silvester, weddings) and thus all are happy to pay up!