Roma refugees from Romania

631 posts in this topic

Monks , I really don't pretend anything about the reality ...I just know what it is ...

I do not say that there are not exceptions ( there always are - just to confirm ) but I am saying that I am more than sure that the group of rromes we are talking about are not exceptions .

would you support "repatriating" Irish Gael criminals back to Asia Minor and Spain?

You clearly don't read the Irish newspapers since some fleeing Irish criminals were recently found in the foundations of new buildings in Spain... I won't shed any tears for them either - or any other criminals.

There's a difference between saying some ethnic Roma engage in anti social behaviour and that the majority are anti socal.

Yes , there is a difference and the reality is that while MAJORITY are engaged in anti social behaviour, only SOME are integrated ( unfortunatelly , they are sooooooooo few ).

Short Tagesschau article about Roma in Romania. Yes, there is a self-proclaimed Roma king, Florin Cioaba, and he might be wealthy, and he himself says that in Sibiu the situation of the Roma has improved very much. But in other regions Roma have to cope with very adverse circumstances. It is only logical that out of 4 million Roma in Romania, there are some who are doing well, some who are thugs, but a large part lives in bad conditions. I guess the Roma are affected by the economic crisis as well as menial jobs are more scarce.

It certainly isn't a one-way issue. For example Cioaba has been reported to have married his very young daughter to another youth, probably in an arranged marriage. Such traditions IMO shouldn't fall under minority rights protection.

Yes , there is a difference and the reality is that while MAJORITY are anti social , only SOME are integrated .

That's a subjective opinion.

Given that Roma have been in Europe for 900 odd years, it gets to the point where sooner or later they ARE part of society, whatever the level of "integration" (big can of worms there :) )

The fact is that Roma are moving westwards and western Europe has got to face the issues around that.

Western Europe can't pick and choose.

There are cheaply build Volkswagen from Bratislava, vegetables from Hungary and weekend trips to Krakow.

But along with that come the negative aspects too, like the position and role of Roma in society.

Yes , there is a difference and the reality is that while MAJORITY are engaged in anti social behaviour, only SOME are integrated ( unfortunatelly , they are sooooooooo few ).

how would you know? Given the societal prejudie against them most "integrated" Roma or Sinti don't draw attention to their ethnicity.

Uh bullshit MT... you don't HAVE to put up with abuse from anyone.

As I said before if they had done well in ANY country there might be a certain amount of hope but they haven't.

the group of rromes we are talking about are not exceptions .

Since you're trying to write in English, could you please drop the "rromes" bit and use "Roma" instead?

Thank you.

how would you know? Given the societal prejudie against them most "integrated" Roma or Sinti don't draw attention to their ethnicity.

I imagine he'd have a far better idea than a middle-class Cambridge-educated Scottish homosexual Quaker living in Munich coming from where he has don't you think?

Uh bullshit MT... you don't HAVE to put up with abuse from anyone.

Where's the bullshit?

I am saying that society has to take the rough with the smooth.

Dealing with the social issues surrounding some (or even many) Roma requires a better response than "deport them to a ghetto in Romania".

Hey Mr P, leave the personal digs out hey.

You have the ability to make your case based on substantiated argument. :)

The line of argument you are using ("I / he has personal / local exprerience) there I have most heard in my life from defendents of Apartheid in South Africa and Unionist bigots from Northern Ireland and it does not hold water.

@parnell

he is expressing his opinion fro the standpoint of a nation that has institutionalised the persecution of Roma over the centuries. Do you also trust Turks to make unbiassed declarations about Kurds? Do you also trust loyalists to make unbiassed declarations about Northern Irish Catholics?

@ MT

Who's response was deportation?

As I said before no one should get a free ticket anywhere.

If people coming into a society damage that society then they should first be made to pay for that damage before being allowed to move elsewhere.

It certainly isn't a one-way issue. For example Cioaba has been reported to have married his very young daughter to another youth, probably in an arranged marriage. Such traditions IMO shouldn't fall under minority rights protection.

I call them rromes becuse in romanian they are RRom - with double r

And in English they are called Roma, with one 'r'. Thank you.

Since you're trying to write in English, could you please drop the "rromes" bit and use "Roma" instead?

Thank you.

I explained why i write " rromes " ( they are named rromi in romanian , with duble r ),although I will confirm with writing it like you sugested : " roma "

Sorry for making a ...mistake ( not sure if was quite a mistak , maybe just a writing habbit ) and sorry for my non native language - i am a romanian ( although ...I thought I could be understood well enough ). Am agree to learn ...we all learn , our entire life .

@parnell

he is expressing his opinion fro the standpoint of a nation that has institutionalised the persecution of Roma over the centuries. Do you also trust Turks to make unbiassed declarations about Kurds? Do you also trust loyalists to make unbiassed declarations about Northern Irish Catholics?

Considering that you have brought about the persecution of Catholic priests on this forum to an almost institutionalised form I consider that rather funny...

Moving on - I have witnessed, heard testimony of many many people who have been persecuted by these people.

Again they have been a blight on EVERY nation they are a part of - speak to any family living in close proximity and you will get a swift answer - if he had said "sure they're grand folks altogether" then you'd be all for him - but bottom line is he has a lot more knowledge than you or even I.

As to Kurds and Turks - I see two sides persecuting the other - and contrary to what MT said about bollocked Austrians it wasn't his idea - he said "No one will remember the Armenians" and he was right (about that one).

Good point about loyalists - truth be told I think they have plenty to complain about - although Myers again writes a stonking piece about the murder of Kevin McDaid which well meaning fools like you should read:

How a bunch of do gooders managed to fuck up NI

And in English they are called Roma, with one 'r'. Thank you.

Kindly correct your punctuation , as we are writing in "English" here.

For example :

Do not begin sentences with "And".

When referring to a race please use inverted commas etc.

Your fellow grammar Nazi.

I imagine he'd have a far better idea than a middle-class Cambridge-educated Scottish homosexual Quaker living in Munich coming from where he has don't you think?

phew!...and this coming from a self confessed Dublin uneducated Irish priest/paedophile supporting heterosexual Catholic living in Munich...

I like your writing style Parnell, so I've taken the liberty of plagiarising it.