Roma refugees from Romania

631 posts in this topic

I'd suggest rather than segreagated schools for Roma children they should be in standard schools.

Has anyone here denied the fact that some Roma engage in anto social behaviour.

I think that knuts like Zumwinkel ex boss of Deutsche Post is a bigger thief, but I don't blame all ethnic Germans for that.

hilarious that Bell condemns the church but wants to give these folks another chance despite the bazillion chances they have been given in every country they've blighted.

If a Roma organisation had run orphanages in Ireland and had covered up and protected abusers in those orphanages I would be the first person to condemn that organisation.

You have a girlfriend who had a bad experience of living next to a Roma encampment and you condemn a whole race of people out of hand.

Monks , I meant ...we are the guests

Nope.

I am not a fucking "guest".

I live here and an part of the society here, it's MY home too.

:o you're agressive , Monks ...ok ..maybe is my fault ( couldn't explain in a proper manner what I had in mind - happens ) .I was referring ( strictly ) to their and my situation( no referral to yours or anyone else ). :)

Bell ... to compare the Catholic church which does countless amounts of good (and did for me personally) with the Roma is beneath even your daft hate.

To correct you:

I have a wife who had a bad 17 years living next several Roma families who were provided with free accommodation by the State as well as her Aunt who continues to have MISERABLE experiences with Roma. Her parents continue to suffer abuse at their hands - the local law enforcement is simply exhausted with them.

Furthermore when I volunteered as a steward for the Roskilde festival in Copenhagen I witnessed first hand Roma families rifling through tents of festival goers in broad daylight. Having worked with Danish people for six years I have never known such a nation of liberal minded lefties who , to use an Irish phrase , "wouldn't say 'boo' to a goose" and STILL even they hate the Roma.

Sometimes things are just they way they are and all of this bullshit handwringing you bourgeois muppets do is just that.

Roma are moving west becasue they can, and life is better for them (in their eyes) here away from the ghetto slums of eastern Europe.

That is the direct result of socio-economic-political changes over the last 20 years a lot of you obstensibly suppoted.

ie the colapse of Stalinism and the ontroduction of market capitalism in the eastern states and European integration.

Give it a smug "ra-ra-ra" at the collapse of the Berlin Wall, bitte schön, but be prepared to deal with the consequences too.

Best post of the day! I suppose freeloading Fred Goodwin and the MPs currently in the limelight in GB are totally different to the "Roma freeloaders".

Wrong as usual , The Roma are originally not European in origin. They are originally of Asian origin - India actually - but they fled there because - guess what - they felt persecuted there.

the dude from Romania is dead right - a bunch of middle-class liberals here telling people with first hand experience of the human rights abuses that these people visit on anyone who crosses their path.

hilarious that Bell condemns the church but wants to give these folks another chance despite the bazillion chances they have been given in every country they've blighted.

Any idea of the origins of the "Celtic" Irish? Have the spirits of Pentecost brought on a degree of ranting in tongues?

I am not agressive, I'm a nice guy really. ;)

I just object to on the one hand be expected to play an integrated role in a whole society but then be denied to be allowed to do the "postive" things.

ie express an opinion on the society I am part of.

I am not here to play a "good little ausländer" who works his arse off in society but keeps his mouth shut and has the decency to die a week after reaching pensionable age.

Wrong as usual , The Roma are originally not European in origin. They are originally of Asian origin - India actually - but they fled there because - guess what - they felt persecuted there

The Roma came from the area of Pakistan and north west India to Europe in the 11th century - ie they arrived in Europe long before the Jewish populations came to most countries. But it would appear that 900 years in Europe just isn't enough for you. Do you have the same views on the descendents of Africans and Asians of Commonwealth countries in Ireland and the UK? Oh and by the way, they didn't flea persecution as such. Mahmud of Ghazni waged war on the indigenous populations of the Indus and the Rome/Sinti were just more mobile than most to just move on. But the existence of Dom, Gujahr and Banjari peole in akistan and NorthWest India to this day shows that the vast majority stayed put and are very much a part of the societies of the region to this day.

I am not agressive, I'm a nice guy really.

Is such a relief ...

I am not here to play a "good little ausländer" who works his arse off in society but keeps his mouth shut and has the decency to die a week after reaching pensionable age.

Understand / agreed .

'Several dozens of Roma have come from Romania, as tourists (as members of the EU, there is no limitation on travelling as tourists). They have settled in Goerlitzer Park, and when evacuated from there, they took over a planned Kita in the Bethanien complex. From there, the (German) Bathanien squatters have sent them off to a church in Kreuzberg, where they have squatted. Touriststs, right? Well, they claim that the have been discriminated and persecuted in Romania; their houses burnt down, they are afraid to get back home. They want to stay in Germany.'

I think you should get your facts straight! Where on earth did you get your information from?

Firstly, the Roma did not 'take over' some of the Bethanien. They were invited to stay there by the people who live there. Secondly, the Bethanien occupied the church together with the Roma as there is a tradition in northern europe of churches being charitable to Roma people. However, as this church proved to be very racist and facist, they only stayed there one night.

The Roma have not come here as toursits. Tourists, pretty much like yourself, have the money and the leisure to enjoy a city, eat out and get annoyed by children 'pestering them' for money with 'bad english'. They are classified as toursists by law due to their passports but actually they should be allowed to seek asylum as they are fleeing persecution in Romania and have a variety of problems that I will not go into here. It is the law that is at fault for their status not them.

Currently, Roma people are being severly persecuted in Eastern Europe, to the extend of some being shot at in a village in Hungary. I think you should think twice before being annoyed by children asking you for money.

Bell The Cat

Unlike you I have the same views on EVERYONE - if you are not here to make a positive contribution to society and obey its laws then you should not stay or be allowed to profit from that society.

That's a fundamental question at the heart of human civilisation Mr P.

Do you have to make a positive contribution to society to be part of it?

How do human soceties deal with people who continually don't make appositive contribution?

Unlike you I have the same views on EVERYONE - if you are not here to make a positive contribution to society and obey its laws then you should not stay or be allowed to profit from that society.

so given your reasoning that 900 years is not enough to make the Roma/Sinti as European as you and I - would you support "repatriating" Irish Gael criminals back to Asia Minor and Spain?

I think Mr MT (and I do appreciate sincerely your ability to have a rational discussion) that groups should be treated as individuals.

As with any new employee , a period of assessment is allowed - but resources are limited - there must always be a consideration of cost to the incumbent society.

My dear mother ,who is a Godess to the entire wider family cared for the poor her entire life , they stole from her and often laughed at her behind her back but she kept on at it. In my mind it was not just but it gave her happiness.

I think that to condemn the Roma as a whole does an injustice to some within it's ranks who are undoubtedly good people - but society as a whole must look after it's own interests and from what I have witnessed , in general , these people are a plague.

actually they should be allowed to seek asylum as they are fleeing persecution in Romania and have a variety of problems that I will not go into here. It is the law that is at fault for their status not them.

Frappe , they ARE NOT persecuted in Romania! Can you understand that I lived untill March ( this year ) surrounded by them?! They are everywhere ...and they start to be more each day passing by ..

Do you know what there are TOWNS in Romania that can not deal anymore with them? Craiova ...for instance is such a town ( over 400.000 people ) - the police can not deal with them and their mafia anymore ...it was a big thing copple monh ago when one of the mafia leader ( rrome / gipsy ) was shot .

They are the persecutors ...but to understand this and manyother thing connected to them you have to LIVE actually for a while in Ro.( hing that sincerely - I don't reccomend you to do - exactly because of this . They are indeed a great issue in Romania ) .Oh ...you can visit , though ..is a very nice country :)

so given your reasoning that 900 years is not enough to make the Roma/Sinti as European as you and I - would you support "repatriating" Irish Gael criminals back to Asia Minor and Spain?

Did I say repatriate anyone?

I don't think anyone should get a free ticket anywhere.

ASN, I'd suggest you look at statistics regarding education, housing, income , health care, life expectancy etc in Romnia or a string of other new EU members comparing Roma with society as a whole.

The notion that there is no discrimination of Roma in these countries is optomistic rose tinted spectacles at best.

@ ASN, you can't pretend that people here know nothing about the new EU countries and reality.

A young Roma lad was casing up our compartment on the night train from Sighet Marmaiei to Arad last time I took it, looking to rob us.

But his acomplices and his "Fagan" handler were white Romanians.

When I was hitching across southern Romania and got stuck in the middle of nowhere near Calarasi I had some of the nicest interation with local people I have had in 20 years of backpacking through eastern Europe. People who offered me food and a fire and information about how to continue my journey - and they were Roma.