Beware of accommodation scams

66 posts in this topic

So, I'm looking for an apartment at the moment and posted an ad in the 'accommodation sought' pages on Craiglist... boy, am I sorry I did! I've very rapidly received not one, but two e-mails from people who are clearly scammers... way too good to be true. And before anyone protests that I may be wrongly accusing people, I've googled them both and they both appear on previous blogs about accommodation scams. You think they'd at least change their 'name'! After an initial flurry of mails, I've told them both I'm reporting them as scammers... strangely, they've been very silent since!!

Names to watch out for (not that anyone in their right mind would believe their garbage anyway):

Florian Skoruppa (Florian.skoruppa@yahoo.com)

Ronald Kegan (startkick1@ymail.com)

I'm offering a place and I keep getting responses from people who want all my personal info so they can get the place right away and send me a check. At first, I wasn't entirely sure if it was a scammer, as I've had a few people from abroad want my place... but it was a guy, and I said that I would feel better if it was a girl that I would rent it to sight unseen. Next afternoon- almost the same reply under a girls name. *headdesk*

Do these people think we are stupid?

What cracks me up as well is when the messages are all laced with God references in pigeon English and signed off as "Reverand Ken Boon" or something. I had similar experiences looking for an apartment last year. It's so desperately hard to find places that are affordable and suit one's needs, you have my sympathy and I hope you find the place you want very soon. I think CraigsList is a place to avoid though in your search.

also watch out for:

Geb Arndt <gebarndt42@yahoo.com>

with nigerian ip address 196.3.183.73

Von Sivers <ebamasetabisugbon@yahoo.com>

with nigerian ip address 196.3.183.72

geb sent me a picture of "his" passport

I mail a mail at the weekend from somebody called Jhon martin, a US solider in Iraq. Bizarre.

yes, what are the chances of me getting my money with this reply from "Iris Xu" (xu_iris@yahoo.com):

Hello,

Thanks for your mail am not in Berlin right now, am in Amsterdam due to my work load i will like be able to check my email often, so i will like you to send the item to my children in West Africa so kindly calculate the total shipping cost to Africa get back to me with the total shipping cost and your PayPal E-mail, where payment will be sent too...

will be waiting ti hear from you...

Many Thanks

same scam a different variation... honestly it makes one think that 99.9% of the nigerians in nigeria are 419 scammers... and i love it how they put it all in capitalisations or whatnot... ;) you would have though that they would have relized by now the whole western world is on to them...

Hi, I am a prince who has been forced out of power by an unscrupulous rival. Or something. I need someone to look after my marble floored apartment in Berlin (etc) and watch over my vast stocks of champagne and caviar. Oh, you would have to share it (it has 25 rooms) with my harem of supermodels. But in return for this inconvenience you can live rent free and eat and drink all you want. Oh, and I need someone to take the Ferrari out once a week to keep it running.

Of course, all the crystal and gold fittings are expensive, so all l I ask is that you send me a deposit of 1,000,000 Euros to an obscure bank account in a remote country with no financial regulation whatsoever. Then you can move in tomorrow!

I humbly await a reply from my wonderful future tenants who bypassed the common sense shelf in life's bountiful supermarket. May their credit card limits stretch into a glorious eternity of eternal debt, as we say in my internet cafe, er, I mean royal court.

Prince Lee Sum, Nigeria or similar. smile.gif

Pure gold... ha,ha,ha..

What do you reckon]?

This one from an American, 'Van Bommel'

Hello,

The apartment has 2 bedrooms so i am willing to rent it out either

on long or short term. there is parking space no fee on that, firstly

i will like to know how long you want to stay in my apartment,because

i'm not in Berlin now, as i'm in the London England now,Little bout

me, am an American, with a wife and 2 kids, i just started my own

Computer Engineering Business (NGO) here in England but i will be

renting it out for a long time now as long as you want to stay, It

cost €550/month which include the utilities in the apartment.

Public transport (trams and buses) are just a couple of minutes away

furnished with TV,DVD,fridge,internet,chairs,wardrobe,reading

table,AC,Heater,cooker.The apartment is located in a very peaceful and

cool environment, it is 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen,toilet and

bathroom and living room,the whole flat cost €550 all bills included,

with a security deposit of 1000€ which is REFUNDABLE at the end of your stay

if nothing is damaged from my property.

DETAILS ABOUT MY APARTMENT....

ADDRESS:Located in the heart of Kreuzberg 36, Belin

Apartment Size: 850 - 980 sq ft

MY TERMS AND CONDITION ARE:

1.PETS ALLOWED.

2.CLEANINGS AND TIDINESS IS IMPORTANT.

3.MAXIMUM OF 5 PEOPLE ALLOWED

So if you are still interested let me know asap to proceed on the next

step...feel free to ask any question.

Regards

Van Bommel

The following all clearly copied and pasted into a mail.

GREETINGS!!!

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hear from you.I am Pastor Chain Philipp,the owner of the Apartment you are making inquiry of.Actually I resided in the apartment with my family and presently we moved away due to my transfer from my working place and presently my apartment is still available for rent for Eur400/month including the utilities like hydro,washer Wardrobe.Bed·DVD·Furnished·TV·Sofa·Furnished·Washing..Machine·Fridge·Microwave·Plates & cutley·Electric.Hob·Oven·Terrace·Heating·Air Conditioning·Porter.Internet Access ,it is well furnished.More so Now, I went for a Crusade in West Africa and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in Switzerland for more discussion as She is with the keys and the documents to the Apartment.Pls i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and before i left for West Africa,alot of money was spent on the property that i want to give you to occupy,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.I do that once in a while.I want have trust in you as i always stand by my words.Where are you located? let us know how soon you are willing to move in.

ITS EITHER FOR A SHORT OR LONG TERM LEASE DEPENDING ON THE LEASE YOU WANT!!!

So my wife just misplaced her phone and she cannot speak to you on phone pls when you want to email her let the topic of your email to her be Eur400/Month 1br -'A NICE AND WONDERFUL 1 BEDROOM FLAT FOR RENT(PARIS)..Email my wife at (sharon.chain@yahoo.com) she will attend to you better..

Email my wife at (sharon.chain@yahoo.com) she will attend to you better..

How enticing! :D

I'm amazed that you people are even bothering with this thread. When using the internet, it goes without saying that a modicum of common sense is necessary. Posting your scammer emails seems a bit unnecessary, and as though you are proud of yourselves for figuring out these wily scammers...

And most of the 419 scamming is done by organized gangs. A roomful of computers, 10-20 people churning out emails. The idea is that out of every 1000 people they email, there is one dumb enough to go ahead.

Hi maestroscruff,

Yes, some of us do have some common sense and are well aware of this. I added the mails to this sticky thread, dedicated to scam artists, for two reasons:

1. Since the thread is a warning against scammers, I thought it would be good to have concrete examples.
  2. Sheer entertainment value

Your post never bothers to consider this context, nor is it helpful.

To quote from your insightful message:

I'm amazed that you people are even bothering with this thread

It would appear that some of us have more of a need to patronise than others.

To be a hypocrite three times over in a single short post takes some skill. Congratulations.

Two more craigslist scammers to add: Holasova Dagmar and Katharina M Endreb. Both sent me alsmot identical e-mails containing pretty individual pieces of info in my opinion. They then proceeded to ask for a deposit by western union money transfer before I'd even seen the apartment. Good one - these people must think we're stupid!