Wiring up lights in a German apartment

79 posts in this topic

Makes me glad I insisted on the the company supporting my relocation fit at least basic light fittings everywhere the previous tenants / landlord had left wires hanging out of the walls. At least that way if I want to change something I will be able to reverse engineer the wiring (checking with a meter first!)

Am I right in thinking (from the content of some of the posts above) that some people even remove the switches?!?

I just fixed my halogen standing lamp with dimmer. Every time I've had one stop working it was thankfully easily enough to repair. It seems that typically when the bulb goes, so too does the tiny fuse cartridge inside the dimmer slider switch. Replace both and you've got yourself a working lamp again.

So glad I could fix it. The hassle of having to buy a new one and organize an elektro sperrmuell to get rid of the old one...

Paulwork: if that happens, often there is an issue with the supply.

Halogen bulbs often short circuit briefly before they fail. That's why the fuse is there in the first place.

Hoping someone can help, we just moved in to our new place and (as usual) the previous tenant took everything with them, including the ceiling light attachments, so I have been trying to wire up a couple of lights to the wires sticking out of the ceiling. In all rooms there are black, red and yellow wires, I have attached the wires on our lamps, blue to red, and brown to black, leaving the yellow wire unconnected, and cannot get the bloody lightbulb to turn on, in the kitchen, living room, or either of the bedrooms. All the switches in the fuse box are up, so I'm wondering if a fuse has blown..

Before 1965 the red cable was an earthing cable and the grey is a neutral...

I would be tempted to try black and yellow...    

Or call a sparkie to do the job if you are unsure....

Good evening everyone,

I have been through this old thread and others online but I can't seem to find anything similar. My wife and I have just moved to Hamburg and in to our first German apartment and of course, there are no light fittings. The kitchen/bathroom/hallway lights are simple two wire fittings which i am sure we will work out. However, the living room and bedroom have three wires hanging from the ceiling...in a colour combination I am not familiar with and can't find online: 1 brown wire, 1 grey wire, 1 black wire. Can anyone tell me what each of these is? 

The kitchen, hallway and bathroom each have two wires (1 grey, 1 black), so is the brown one in the bedroom/living room possible an earth? i Find this strange as with most other wiring systems brown is live!

Thanks!

Welcome to Germany where in the old days.. Red was an earthing cable..

Do yourself a small favour...  Please gat a quallified electrician to assist to avoid death or simmilar!

SP

I have a blue wire and another one brown covered with a tape with yellow/green stripes, I don't know how to connect a lamp, as anyone any idea? See image attached.

Thanks!

electricidad.jpg

Switch off the power. Connect the two wires to the two terminals in your lamp, either way around. Stand well back. Switch on again.

44 minutes ago, deadsoul said:

Switch off the power. Connect the two wires to the two terminals in your lamp, either way around. Stand well back. Switch on again.

I always suggest to switch the power off at the fuse box and then CHECK that the power if really off by using a testing device.

Once I went to install a light in the kitchen of our new apartment, I turned off the power to the kitchen at the fuse box, started to wire up the light and got an electric shock!  It turned out that the wires for this light were on a different circuit to everything else in the kitchen and I hadn't checked after turning the power off!

4 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I always suggest to switch the power off at the fuse box and then CHECK that the power if really off by using a testing device.

Once I went to install a light in the kitchen of our new apartment, I turned off the power to the kitchen at the fuse box, started to wire up the light and got an electric shock!  It turned out that the wires for this light were on a different circuit to everything else in the kitchen and I hadn't checked after turning the power off!

That's quite normal to have power plugs and lights on a different circuit. Good advise Turn off and check every time. 

8 hours ago, Lordoftheladillas said:

I have a blue wire and another one brown covered with a tape with yellow/green stripes, I don't know how to connect a lamp, as anyone any idea? See image attached.

Thanks!

electricidad.jpg

That is a mess Black in older places would normally be the active with Green yellow or red the earth. It looks like they only had Green yellow tape when they extended the wire? scrape of the white paint and see what colour it is? Power off first also the earth wire is missing. Are you renting this place?

The brown could be the active with blue neutral again you need to test. 

12 minutes ago, GoBike said:

That is a mess Black in older places would normally be the active with Green yellow or red the earth. It looks like they only had Green yellow tape when they extended the wire? scrape of the white paint and see what colour it is? Power off first also the earth wire is missing. Are you renting this place?

Yes, I'm renting this place. It's a mess indeed.

Thanks for the advice here, when people ask me to switch the power off, but of course that's the minimum one should do, specially when not being into this topic at all. I'm rather confused by the color system used by Germans.

10 minutes ago, GoBike said:

If you know enough about electricity to know how to test which is live and which is neutral, you for sure know that for a light bulb connection it makes not a jot of difference.

4 minutes ago, deadsoul said:

If you know enough about electricity to know how to test which is live and which is neutral, you for sure know that for a light bulb connection it makes not a jot of difference.

Except people may be dumb enough to grab the outside with power on but not many stick their finger in the hole. Huge difference also on fused led power supply's.