Wiring up lights in a German apartment

79 posts in this topic

I am going to finally connect my lamps today. In the past, it was simple for me as, they already had connection boxes with the previous lamps already conncetd, and I only had to exchange the wires. Now I have live wires hanging out of my ceiling. What do I need minimum to buy, and how do I conncect the lamps to the wires. I know that in Germany Live wires are Brown, Neutral are Blue, and Ground are Green/Yellow. Some old house may have L-Black, N- Gray, G-Red. So, is there are prefered order or which wires I should connect first? I plan on purchasing the little patic boxes where you can connect all of the wires together. Where does one buy these? So I connect Live to Neutral, after connecting Ground to Ground? I also have a three way switch?? Two switches in different locations, for one lamp. Do I connect two lives to two Neutrals? Or is it simply one live to one neutral , a switch router to a switch router, and a ground to a ground? There are too many wires!!! And finally, are thes plastic boxes safe? Should I also wrap them up with electrical tape?

Be careful brokenm, when I first got here, being your typical English DIY sucker I tried myself.

230V hurts and it throws you off the ladder!

It helps if you take out the fuses before you start. :rolleyes:

Had a couple of 240v kicks myself!

That's funny 3 Lions, that's exactly what I was thinking as I danced around the room going "WHA! WHA! WHA!" and shaking my elbows.

I forgot to say that as well...you should find the switchbox in your house before you begin...there should be a master switch which just puts everything off. Its usually on its own and a different colour (red)...needless to say but I will anyway...turn it to the off positon. an if you cant identify the master, i'd put them all off or it'll be a case of amatuer acobatics off the ladder jus like Sin!!!

Yes, I do that always, as I learned the hard way as well that just because you turn off the bathroom switch doesn't mean that the bathrrom light is not connected to the kitchen source.

I suggest that you get a Profesional in to sort out your lights..

I am a fully time served Sparky in the UK, But I shat myself when I saw how many cables (black, blue and green) were shoved into the ceiling recess..

Good luck

G

Green = Ground

Black = Negitive

Blue = Positive

If you are wiring a light (Not Socket) then +/- doesn't matter (as i've seen and been told)

Be very careful in germany with new and old wiring.

Old stuff can be very hard to identify which is which. Always turn everything off. In some german flats the complete isolater is actually in the basement.

Be very very careful!

If in doubt get an electrician

Poots

I recall my old flat in Schwabing. The cables poking out of the ceiling were grey, grey and grey (with some white paint over them just to make things easier - NOT). The real problem was that I was up and down the ladder like a vibro in a nymphomaniacs bed, turning the fuses on and off to check out which cable was which. In the up-down's I got things the wrong way and switched the bloody fuse on before checking...

...but I did find the live wire :blink:

someone also gave me an insulated screwdriver which turns a light on if you hit a live wire. But no instructions!! Has anyone used one? Do I only touch the live wire, or do I make a circuit by touching the live with the neutral (to me this sends up danger signs and red flags)!

Those screwdrivers normally have a metal plate at the end of the handle, make sure you touch that (say in your palm), and then touch the tip of the screwdriver on the wire... if the driver lights you found a hot one.

KT

You can pick up a simple volt/am/ohm-meter for about €5 from Conrad. Excellent investment and it only requires a couple of brain cells to use one.

someone also gave me an insulated screwdriver which turns a light on if you hit a live wire. But no instructions!! Has anyone used one? Do I only touch the live wire, or do I make a circuit by touching the live with the neutral (to me this sends up danger signs and red flags)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DON"T MAKE A CIRCUIT!!! You'll be thrown on your ass...

Only touch the SD to ONE WIRE, if it's hot it will light up...

Turn of the power, match the colour cables together ...connect them ,

turn on power and flick the switch. If it does not work, TURN the main power off again and swap the connections.

But then again if you value your life , get someone who knows!!

No problem whatsoever. No shock, everything was sorted out without a probelm, except it took me a while to figure out a pair of wires were actuall the same wire which the previous owner had twisted around a metal hook (deep inside the ceiling) to use as a support.

First of all, thanks to everyone on TT --- it really is an extremely useful resource!

In my apartment, the light circuits all have only two wires (no earth) sticking out of the walls/ceilings. This is fine if I'm just connecting one of those cheap plastic hanging bulb-holders, but almost all of the other light fittings that I've found require an earth connection, rather than being double-insulated (Schutzklasse II). I figure it's a bad idea just to leave the earth unconnected, as the casing could end up live if there's a fault (and I've heard that electricians should refuse to fit something like this). Am I just unlucky that the wiring in my apartment isn't very good, or am I missing something? Do they set things up differently in Germany?

It's even harder to find something appropriate as I'm also looking for lights that are rated for use in a bathroom, and apparently I need IPx4 water protection (Spritzwasserschutz). I can't seem to find much that is both IPx4 Spritzwasserschutz and Schutzklasse II. So far I've looked in Hornbach, Hertie, Lutz, and Ikea.

Thanks in advance for any help!