German equivalents of heavy cream

16 posts in this topic

Hi! I am planning to do a dessert and it ask for heavy cream, does anyone knows how it is call in German. Is it Butter milch?

Thanks everyone!!

Never heard of heavy cream before. According to Wiki it's an American term. You can use double cream instead (or is it heavy whipping cream you need?).

Probably not buttermilk :)

What is heavy cream exactly?

These are some of the German versions.

Schlagsahne (Schlagobers) enthält mindestens 30 % Fett

Schlagsahne extra oder Konditorsahne hat einen höheren Fettgehalt von bis zu 40 %

Schlagobers, pasteurisiert (Österreich) hat einen Mindestfettgehalt von 36 %

Crème double enthält mindestens 40 % Fett (in der Schweiz mindestens 45 %)

Plus of course there is Rahm - which is exactly the same as Sahne but in a differnet dialect.

Definitely not butter milk. You can buy double cream in Edeka - that works for heavy cream.

Edit - blimey, 3 responses all at 11:05!

Not sure but it may be schmand. usually hangs out near the cream/butter).

Not sure if schlagsahne would be enough.

It depends what you are going to do with it. If it is a recipe from the US then using schlagsahne is safe for substitution of heavy cream.

Schlagsahne is whipping cream and usually no need to add a fixative called sahnesteif. There are other types of cream available for cooking and baking though.

Here is some info on different types of creams available:

Sahne (Wikipedia)

Thanks everyone!! I will be doing some Mandarin Panna Cotta, I really enjoy cooking, is one of my hobbies ;) Here some pictures

post-26767-1242639319.jpg

post-26767-1242639362.jpg

post-26767-1242639437.jpg

Good day everyone!

Schlagsahne would be fine for a panna cotta. It usually comes in 200g and 250g containers. The Hansano brand that we can buy up here also offers a 500g carton with a reclosable lid. I don't know if other companies do that.

Well, there is an Arabic equivalent: Gashta

Can't find any pictures of the can. It is a tin can, the size of a tuna can, and has mostly white paper wrapping. Should be around 0.99 euro. Just ask in some Arab owned store for 'Gashta'. Its consistency is way thicker than that of yoghurt.

Definitely the heavy cream your recipe asks for.

On 18/05/2009, 11:05:20, Steven192 said:

Probably not buttermilk :)

What is heavy cream exactly?

These are some of the German versions.

Schlagsahne (Schlagobers) enthält mindestens 30 % Fett

Schlagsahne extra oder Konditorsahne hat einen höheren Fettgehalt von bis zu 40 %

Schlagobers, pasteurisiert (Österreich) hat einen Mindestfettgehalt von 36 %

Crème double enthält mindestens 40 % Fett (in der Schweiz mindestens 45 %)

Plus of course there is Rahm - which is exactly the same as Sahne but in a differnet dialect.

In cheesecake recipes from the UK. They call for heavy cream with a fat content of at least 40%

Schlagsahne seems to go up to 32% max where I live.

I wonder if schlagsahne combined with sahnateif. (a product used to keep whipped cream stiff) will work as a decent substitute or even a better replacement to UK whipping cream?

Otherwise I'm very interested in these higher fat content creams you mentioned. 

I'm in filderstadt 70794

I see Lidl aldi Rossmann penny rewe and netto.

I've never come across an Edeka 

25 minutes ago, Taffyhereford said:

In cheesecake recipes from the UK. They call for heavy cream with a fat content of at least 40%

Schlagsahne seems to go up to 32% max where I live.

I wonder if schlagsahne combined with sahnateif. (a product used to keep whipped cream stiff) will work as a decent substitute or even a better replacement to UK whipping cream?

Otherwise I'm very interested in these higher fat content creams you mentioned. 

I'm in filderstadt 70794

I see Lidl aldi Rossmann penny rewe and netto.

I've never come across an Edeka 

You could try Konditorsahne. I have seen some at Rewe with 35% fat content. Otherwise you can also add Mascarpone to your Schlagsahne to increase the fat content.

I second adding Mascarpone; alternatively I use Schmand which is less expensive and which I've successfully used in double-cream recipes.