Bavarian is the most favoured accent in Germany

64 posts in this topic

The Bavarian dialect is Germany's best-loved accent, according to a new poll from monthly magazine Daheim in Deutschland.

The lilting southern Bayerisch German accent was favoured by 44 percent of those surveyed.

The mushy-sounding Palatine German, spoken in the Pfalz region, was the least-liked accent of the survey's 14 general dialects.

Clipped and dry Plattdeutsch, or Low German, spoken in the northeast of the country, took second place. The brusque Berlin accent was third most popular, followed by the unmistakable Swabian dialect from the German state of Baden-Württemberg.

Some 62 percent of those polled agreed that dialects enrich the German language, though only 32 percent said that the countries myriad accent strains don't cause communication problems though more than half of these were younger than 30.

99 words remaining. Click to read the full article.

Cripes, seriously. They just sound like buffoons. Swabian always makes me laugh -- it was perfect that the Abominable Snowman in Monsters Inc. was given that accent. Hessisch = haesslich. I like Badisch -- it has some of the sing song of Bavaria but is more pointed and understandable. Berlinerisch just makes me think of pudwackers.

According to a poll in Daheim in Deutschland here is the line up:

1. Bavarian, 44 percent

2. Low German, 32 percent

3. Berliner, 29 percent

4. Swabian, 25 percent

5. Saxonian, 20 percent

6. Rhine Franconian, 19 percent

7. Hessian, 16 percent

8. Ruhr German, 13 percent

9. Franconian, 12 percent

10. Westphalian, 9 percent

11 Badisch, 9 percent

12. Palatine German, 7 percent

13. prefers no dialect, 4 percent

Though most of my non-Bavarian mates find the Bavarian accent laughable. What's your fave? I like the German they speak up in Hannover, I still can't get the hang of Bavarian!

See more info in Die Welt.

Related topic: What is your favorite German dialect?

I like the German they speak up in Hannover

So do I, although I don't think its considered a dialect. (I see miwild lurking - he will fill us in) Living up here does have its good points. :D

I still can't get the hang of Bavarian!

Hard to believe that it was picked as most popular. I don't care for it at all. I find it makes people sound somehow less intelligent no matter what their status. I can understand it most of the time but I'd never be able to produce it in a consistant manner.

How Swabian could be forth is beyond me. Everytime I hear this accent on TV (which is almost every time I turn it on, how are there so many of them with their faces shoved in the camera) I have to change the channel. It is like everyone from this region has inherited a lisp.

Favoured German accent? *sigh*

C'mon, lets start a real poll, what nationality does the sweetest smelling shit.

Ooh, disagree don_r! I have no idea what accent was used, but German had me from the first time I was on an airport escalator, and was told to stay on the right hand side! And everything reads sexier in German, too. French may be the language of love for some, but not for me!

And everything reads sexier in German, too.

Hee, that's a good one. German is a lot of things, sexy is NOT one of them. Go look up "Brustwarzen" for example. Love is blind, eh?

Okay, Brustwarzen is bad, given. But Ich liebe dich, immer noch. Can "still" beat "immer noch" for making your heart beat faster?

neither slang nor accent - Bavarian is a dialect of German that is closer to Austrian German than it is to Hoch Deutsch (proper German)

Austro-Bavarian

Austro-Bavarian or Bavarian is a major group of Upper German varieties. Like standard German, Austro-Bavarian is a High German language, but they are not the same language ...

Austrian German

As German is a pluricentric language, Austrian German is another standard variety in addition to the German spoken in Germany. Much like the relationship between American and British English, Austrian German is simply another standard form of the German language ...

For more in-depth information read the German versions on Bairische Dialekte and Österreichisches Deutsch ...

ok, i am confused. Bavaria is a slang or an accent?

Neither. Bavarian is a language and can stand on its own. Its specific pronounciation can be traced when a Bavarian is speaking Hochdeutsch (rolling 'r', dark 'a', throaty 'ch'), but once a true Bavarian lets loose with his down-home way of talking he's using completely different grammar, vocabulary and constructions from your run-of-the-mill German speaker.

Take the articles: "da", "d" and "s" - da Bua (der Bub), d Irxn (die Schulter), s Pottschamperl (der Nachttopf). "D" can also mutate to other consonants such a "b" (bFrau = die Frau) or become silent (d Tia = die Tür, pronounced Tia as in "Mach dTia zua!"), "s" can also become "as" if your noun starts with a vowel or "gsch" as in Gschpusi (lover). If you think German gender rules with their changing articles are difficult, try learning Bavarian.

Way off topic: I've seen them doing that to English speakers on Brit TV as well, depending on the thickness of the accent.

I've never seen that, but maybe I've been away too long.

The other side of the coin is that I find it weird when they subtitle Schwiezerdeutsch (or Austrian dialect) on 3Sat where I have no problem following it but my North-German wife doesn't understand a word!