Fencing clubs in Berlin

10 posts in this topic

Obscure sports ahoy!

Seeing as it didn't didn't weigh much and I was already bringing a long package over with me, I took some of my fencing gear over as well; I've been told it's quite popular here. I started fencing back in New Zealand at a university club a few years back - I'm pretty bad at it, but it's a lot of fun and good exercise. I'm looking for a club that's of a similar nature: not too competition-focused but hopefully with some good training sessions that I can learn from.

On the off-chance that anyone knows a club or someone that fences, please drop me a message here. I'm just about over the jet lag and should be ready to get back into it soon...

I know this is a 4 year old thread but think it deserves an update.

Is there any fencing club in Berlin where a non-german speaking, beginner level ( only had about 4-5 lessons back home ) could go? I tried contacting one that I found on google, but the guy said that even though he does speak english, his course will be in german. Are there any other people interested in trying this out? I assume if we get 5-6 people interested, the guy might do a special lesson in english. There's already three of us, any other interested people?

I'd actually be interested provided that the scheduling will fit with my German courses. I fenced with foil in college for a couple years back in college and would love to get back into it!

Hi there! I know this post is quite old, but I am exactly in the same situation as you and I was wondering if you did find a solution, or if you are still interested in putting together a small team of english speaking fencers. I'd be really interested in joininj you. Thanks.

Hey, for once I feel qualified to answer a post. I'm an Englishman, Berlin resident for the last three years and qualified fencing coach. The most useful resource I found when I moved here was the Berliner Fechterbund's List of Vereine. It shows the geographical spread of fencing clubs across the city and you can see certain areas are well served with fencing clubs, whereas others such as Treptow-Köpenick are a fencing wasteland.

Since I'm living in the north, I joined TSV Wittenau, where as far as I know I'm the sole native Englishman. When receiving lessons, I don't find the language barrier an issue, as you're still doing the same thing - and the sword is doing most of the talking right? You may want to look at investing something like the "Translation of Fencing Terms in Four Languages" available here. Personally I bought a copy of "Fechttraining" by Barth + Beck in the original German, but I like a challenge.

A couple of points to note:

• A lot of clubs tend to be single weapon only - or predominantly one weapon. (e.g. TSV is mainly Epee)
  • The predonimate equipment manufacturer here is Allstar. Useful to check your weaponry and connectors are compatible in case you need to borrow a bodywire or somthing.
  • Germans take sport is rather seriously - expect a club to offer training 2-3 times a week (plus individual lessons if your pockets are deep enough)
  • Clubs will shut in the summer months (mine is closed between 8 July and 25th August).

A group of my former pupils from the UK the will be turning up for a Berlin visit at the start of the new season, so I'm sure we could guarantee English speaking opponents for a few days.

I can echo what Jason said about TSV Wittenau. Fencers start out learning to fence with foil, as do the juniors in Wittenau, so the club does do foil. However it is a centre of excellence for Epee and has two current German champions in the youth catagories. It has a about 7 coaches* - who vary their times at the club. Apart from about 2 - all speak excellent english (but then I don't fence myself, so if they are trying to correct your footwork perhaps they might struggle to find the word instep for instance.)

While most start out fencing early in life, the club also offers courses for adults who are interested in trying out the sport.

*BTW one of the coaches is my husband who is German but has also taught fencing in Ireland and England for many years - and knows the word for instep :-)

OSC Berlin would possibly be more suitable for more experienced foilists, but all coaches can coach the basics of all weapons to a certain extent.

Go along to your local club and ask. If they are not the right one for your weapon, I'm sure they will tell you which one concentrates on what. The only thing is I don't think there is much in the way of sabre fencing in Berlin. (Open to correction...)

Hello,

We are moving to Wiesbaden in August. My son is 12 and is fencing epee and would like to stay with epee. Do any of you from the Berlin area know of any clubs he could join in the Wiesbaden area? He really loves the sport and I don't want him to loose the momentum.

Is there any advise you could offer on getting involved in a club? He has been fencing epee for one year.

thank you in advance!

All you need to know is that the German for Epee is Degen, and a club is a Verein then you can easily find the information online.

I just made a quick web search for "degen wiesbaden fechten verein" and the first two links look interesting:

Alternatively there is at least one club I could recommend for a visit in Berlin. ;)

Reviving this topic in 2017...

Any recommendations for a saber fencing club in Berlin or near Berlin?  My son will be studying in Berlin from September to December this year. He is a collegiate fencer with a quite extensive fencing experience. Thank you.