English phrases you've taught your German friends

62 posts in this topic

I taught my students: Do you have a license to sell sausages? (when their fly is open).

And this might not be as funny as it's necessary: we don't make party (more like parteeh), we HAVE A party (or we host, plan, organize or go to one).

And in order to get their V pronunciation right, I tell them to say: VaVaVum. It's hard work, but I'm getting there.

For some reason my German friends think boneyard (cemetery) and meat wagon (ambulance) are hysterical. Also, the guys at work love the word "dickweed".

I taught my german boyfriend the phrase "the dog's bollocks"! It took him a while to get that the dog's bollocks is a good thing but bollocks on it's own isn't :D

This is a fun thread, so I'll add something even if its late...

My German husband loves the words "stuff" (such a nice all-purpose word) and "pit-stop" (for a bathroom break), and has invented the word "ge-finished up" (to eat the last remaining food at a meal).

The nice guy at our local bakery likes English idioms, so I taught him "more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs" and "busier than a one-armed paper-hanger with an itch" and he liked those :)

I taught one of my classes "That's what she said." It was really funny at first, simply because it took them ages to catch on to when exactly was an appropriate (so to speak) moment to say it.

Later, however, I really ended up regretting teaching it. :)

My students didn't know the tag on "ish" - "I'll meet you at 8-ish."

Ten minutes after explaining it, we were talking about some place and I asked where it was. A student, with a glint in her eye, looked at me and said: "Stuttgart-ish".

Nice when the students are so quick on the uptake that they can make a joke about it.

my wife learned "son of a bitch" from somewhere...but i told her that was bad so now she says "son of a gun"..still aint figured out where she got it from

My boyfriend says 'bloody' a lot. I even heard him slotting it into a client convo recently. 'The bloody soccer', 'that bloody weather' etc...

So cute with his German/Aussie accent!

I once had to teach my BF the word "fold" so he would stop saying that he had to "fondle" his laundry. No clue where he got "fondle" from, but I almost died laughing when he said it.

"Whatever"

"Douchebag"

"Tipsy"

"Beaver" (as in vagina)

"Huge" (he keeps writing and saying Hugh)

I taught my mate the phrase "as useless as tits on a bull" the other day. He also learned "to pull up stumps" as in to call an end to something, but struggles with when to use it sometimes.

I randomly taught 2 German friends the concept of Occkam's Razor, which wasn't easy since I don't actually really understand it myself, but they both independently thanked me later having apparently had it come up in conversation, or a pub quiz or something.

"cheeky beer"

"bunch of bastards" (used in the context of British politics)

"rough as a badger's arse"

I taught my girlfriend, "Nigga pleeease!" Was hilarious for a while, although of course I made sure she only used it with my mates!

As a response to the original poster (even though it was last year) about the guy with the fly not zipped or pants unbuttoned... "Do you have a license to sell hot dogs?"

I have to give Beyonce credit for this, but we made dinner one night and after the meal he leans back and says, "Man, that was bootylicious." :lol:

However I can take credit for teaching some Germans to describe a crazy situation or person, usually in the context of drinking, as a "shit show" or "shit storm". As in, "That party last night after the game was a real shit show" or "That guy George is a total shit storm. He lost his keys, wallet, AND pants last night".

I cannot really remember how this came about but about 10 years ago after too many beers in the Franken Bar (X-Berg)I taught my flatmate "You f@cking b@stard Welsh pimp". I still get the odd bit of mail that begins: Dear Mr F'cking...

i tried to teach my girlfriend "your not as green as your cabbage looking" which is my favorate saying from home but i think it went in one ear and out the other

I've taught my coworkers the fun of adding "...in bed" after everything. Luckily it's a relaxed office.