Experiences with dating German women

335 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering what your experience is of dating German women. I've been in a short relationship with a Russian woman but she has lived here for ten years so I think she's culturally German. She was very serious and into everything being perfect. She wanted lots of compliments and I had to do every thing by the book in her apartment or she'd get cross.

I have to admit I've never ever dated a German woman in my whole entire life.

I've been dating one for a year and a half.

She is painfully honest, very straightforward and, though she thinks compliments are bullshit, she's like puddy in my hands when I buy her flowers.

It definitely has been far different from my experiences with American girls, but then again I went from 18-20 year old American girls to a 26-year old German ... quite the transition but the best decision I've ever made in my life.

True, true and true. That is exactly how we are: painfully honest, absolutely straightforward, no beating about the bush, problems with handling compliments (because German men don't pay us a lot) but great great down-to-earth pals as well. And cheap, many women don't have a prob with sharing bills!! It might be that we don't come across as being as feminine as anglo-american women (maybe that is only because of the different clothing style) although I'd say that we just have a different way of being femine. The biggest prob anglo-american guys seem to have with us is the honesty and straightforwardness :-)))

a Russian woman ... has lived here for ten years so I think she's culturally German.

Hmmmm. Will you turn culturally German after living here for 10 years? :unsure:

I dated one and we married. That is nearly 15 years ago. All is well.

PES, join the club. This June would make 16 years for me. I won't say all is well. You have your ups and downs. It definitely takes a lot of work and devotion.

I dated one and we married. That is nearly 15 years ago. All is well.

Ditto, 12.

I have to admit I've never ever dated a German woman in my whole entire life.

You don't know what you are missing! :P

You don't know what you are missing!

Well, after a few more posts, you'll have a decent idea. ;)

She was very serious and into everything being perfect. She wanted lots of compliments and I had to do every thing by the book in her apartment or she'd get cross.

How true!! I dated a german girl for 2 years and was always told if something was wrong (no matter how small!), had to live by her rules (even how to shower!), fished for compliments every 10mins (even repetitive)...I'm an easy going, non-confrontational guy so the relationship just tired me out! I think the English attitude is "not to complain" if so petty that you can ignore a problem, but my girl had to mention EVERY SMALL problem to me?

i´m new to berlin and havent dated one yet but i´m curious now!! the obvious solution to girls that pernickety would be to joke about every small problem they mention though, right?

Quote from Punchbear:

I dated one for a few months last year who used to make me take off my trews in her apartment, as I'd been sitting on public transport or in cafes or in bars and she didn't like that

Are you sure she didnt just want you to take off your trousers for something else??? did she make other guys who came to the house do the same or was it just you? ie: if some of your friends came over for dinner!!! can you picture the dinner table??!

The one thing that would seriously put me off german girls is if they dont shave their armpits (and legs etc). Is that stereotype very common here?

The one thing that would seriously put me off german girls is if they dont shave their armpits (and legs etc). Is that stereotype very common here?

They do.

Every 5 years.

That is not true! German women shave, armpits, legs, the works. But I agree that it depends on their age. Shaving hasn't been a part of German culture, it was totally out of fashion for certain women in t he 80ties and early 90ties but has become more popular lately, especially with younger women and women who have been abroad.

Well, the thing is that dating a person who has a different cultural background is always harder. The outcome totally depends on the two of them being able to cope with the different culture in general, the misunderstandings that will definitely come with language problems and the intercultural skills and last but not least: I think one just needs more patience and more understanding. But I would strongly object to the opinion that it is not worth to date German women: they might not be what you are used to from home ...

I dated one for a few months last year who used to make me take off my trews in her apartment, as I'd been sitting on public transport or in cafes or in bars and she didn't like that.

Needless to say, she turned out to be as mad as a sleeping bag full of badgers who've been sniffing petrol.

I dated a sum total of 2 German chics in my life , one was human , the other one was as you describe - absolutely certifiable - clear danger to other people - hated men passionately and venomously as did all of her friends.

Yep, concur with the opinion that German women are mad. So mad in fact that they make Blackadder's Scottish cousin, Mad Jack Mcmad- the winner of last years mister madman competition, look like a sane angel on a fluffy white cloud...

Well there's Germans and then one can get a little confused with the, 'Others'. I ended up with an Austrian girl living in Berlin who insisted on having our, 'special time', to the accompaniment of traditional music. It was like a very bad film.