Cycling tours around Munich

7,671 posts in this topic

This week it falls to me to lead you through the rolling countryside of Oberbayern again. We start riding at the end of the S2 in Petershausen and ride off to Kranzberg where we stop for a drink and maybe a snack. We then set off to Freising, the long way, until we reach the Brewery at Weihenstephan. After satisfying our thirst and hunger, it's just a short ride to the S-bahn station in Freising. Due to the weather being a bit crappy this is a relatively short ride, only a little over 40km. It does have a few hills though!

I will meet you at the Marienplatz, in the area just before the escalators down to the S-bahn, close to the ticket machines at 9:25.

I will organise partner tickets for the S-Bahn but you are responsible for buying your own Fahrradkarte, costing €2,60, for your bikes.

It will be cool for the time of year  and it may rain at some point, so bring appropriate clothing.

This is a map of the approximate route: Map

As I will be also putting this ride on meet-up, the sign up will be limited to 10 people on here.

Petershausen to Freising

Meetup: Sunday 12th June, 9:25 a.m. by the ticket machines near the escalators to the S-bahn, in the middle floor at Munich Marienplatz

Bring: sunscreen, sunglasses, water, raingear, money, bike (with both brakes working, gears and tyres in good condition)

Tickets: You need to buy a MVV Fahrradkarte (€2.60) for your bike. I will buy Partner Tickets and collect the money later..

Signup:

1. Allershausen

Limit 10 people.

Petershausen to Freising

Meetup: Sunday 12th June, 9:25 a.m. by the ticket machines near the escalators to the S-bahn, in the middle floor at Munich Marienplatz

Bring: sunscreen, sunglasses, water, raingear, money, bike (with both brakes working, gears and tyres in good condition)

Tickets: You need to buy a MVV Fahrradkarte (€2.60) for your bike. I will buy Partner Tickets and collect the money later..

Signup:

1. Allershausen

2. Traveler

Limit 10 people.

Petershausen to Freising

Signup:

1. Allershausen

2. Traveler

3. kreanu (Join you in Petershausen if I manage to get up early enough)

Limit 10 people.

Thanks for the tip, Robert. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it. Sorry for the last minute cancellation.

Petershausen to Freising

Signup:

1. Allershausen

2. Traveler

Limit 10 people.

Petershausen to Freising

Meetup: Sunday 12th June, 9:25 a.m. by the ticket machines near the escalators to the S-bahn, in the middle floor at Munich Marienplatz

Bring: sunscreen, sunglasses, water, raingear, money, bike (with both brakes working, gears and tyres in good condition)

Tickets: You need to buy a MVV Fahrradkarte (€2.60) for your bike. I will buy Partner Tickets and collect the money later..

Signup:

1. Allershausen
2. Traveler
3. NewChris

Buchenau to Andechs

This week we will ride on Saturday to take advantage of better weather while taking advantage of a couple of great stops. The 50 km journey starts from Marienplatz on the S4 to Buchenau. From there we ride over beautiful country side with a few gentle hills on our way to Schloß Kaltenberg. After a beverage and/or nourishment we will continue on to the Amersee where we can stop for a refreshing swim and some more refreshing refreshments. The journey continues over a modest hill perfectly designed to produce the appropriate level of thirst for Kloster Andechs. There we will enjoy the famous Andechser beer, the delicious Barvarian food, and the view of the beautiful Bavarian countryside all while refraining from singing or making loud noises!

I will meet you at the Marienplatz, in the area just before the escalators down to the S-bahn, close to the ticket machines at 9:25.

I will organize partner tickets for the S-Bahn but you are responsible for buying your own Fahrradkarte, costing €2,60, for your bikes.

This is a map of the approximate route: map

The signup will all be on meetup and limited to 15. I will update this post as people signup.

This Sunday is going to be hot, so naturally we will need a refreshing ride with lots of drinking...errr...swimming...OK, maybe both!

We start at the giant blue propeller on the Museuminsel at Ludwigsbrüke at 9:45 AM. We will then proceed through the beautiful English Garden to the Lerchenauer See where the refreshing will begin and, of course, Weißwurst will be on offer. After consuming the proper amount of sausages and beverages we will proceed to the Karlsfeldersee to bask in the sun, cool off in the lake, and enjoy some more beer garden atmosphere. We then proceed to Schloß Schleißheim to do a little sight seeing and enjoy the beer garden. Then it's on to our last lake stop including a beer garden at the Feringasee.

Map to the approximate route: map

Please signup on meetup here: Leisurely lake tour for a hot day

This week's ride is a relatively short and flat one along the Amper, Moosach and Isar river valleys. Link to map of route.

Meeting time is 10 a.m. at Munich-Moosach train station (U3 or S1). Buy a Gesamtnetz-Tageskarte for yourself and an MVV bike ticket for your bike.

From Moosach we meander through the 'burbs before heading out into the countryside and to our first break at the beer garden of Schloss Schleissheim. We then head over to the River Amper, before soon leaving it via the only notable hill of the day. From there we roughly follow the course of the Moosach river, up the next only notable hill of the day for a break at a lake-side beer garden. From there it's down to the Isar to the end of the ride at Besucherpark, from where you can return to Munich with either the S1 or S8, depending on whether you're an East End Boy or a West End Girl.

Total cycling distance is 45km with a very manageable 80 metres of ascent. Bring cash, a bike in good working order, a spare inner tube and rainwear.

To join please sign up on M****p.

This week it falls to me to lead you through the rolling countryside of Oberbayern. We start riding at the end of the S2 in Petershausen and ride off to Allershausen, the place not me, where we will take in the delights of the famous annual Volksfest, which just happens to be on this weekend. After a quick Maß, or a go on the dodgems, or both, we continue on for lunch in one of Bavarias finest beer gardens in Haag an der Amper. After satisfying our hunger and thirst we ride on to the Isar and continue along it's banks to Freising where we can enjoy some refreshments before you take the S1 back to Munich. 

I will meet you at Marienplatz S-Bahn, in the area by the ticket Machines near the escalators  down to the S-bahn,  at 9:30.

I will organise partner tickets for the S-Bahn and divide the cost amongst you, but you are responsible for buying your own Fahrradkarte, costing €2,60, for your bikes.

The weather forecast is good but it may rain at some point, so bring appropriate clothing. The route is fairly flat, except when we ride from the Ampertal over to the Isartal after lunch, but it is not too taxing. Total distance should be about 53km.

This is a map of the approximate route: Map

Meetup: Sunday 31st July, 9:25 a.m. by the ticket machines near the escalators to the S-bahn, in Marienplatz S-Bahn

Signup: Please sign up on our Meet-up page

A summery ride this Sunday with a mix of river valleys, cool forests, and lakes as we cycle from the Lech Valley across to Ammersee. Although I've tried to keep them to a minimum, there are undeniably some hills on this ride. Total cycling distance is 58 km with around 300 metres of height gain, about half of which you won't notice.

Meeting time on Sunday is 9.00 a.m. at the BOB ticket office of Munich Hbf (platforms 27-36). It's a 35-minute train ride to Kaufering, from where we head off south alongside the Lech, eventually climbing out of the valley to lunch (18 km). From there we strike off through meadows and forests, mostly gentle but with one climb, before stopping for beer and cake at a suspiciously idyllic beer garden (22 km). From there it's around and along the lake of Ammersee to the end of the ride in Herrsching (18 km), from where the S-Bahn heads back to Munich.

I will arrange group Bayern Tickets (approx. €10 per person) but you need to buy your own *Bayern* bike ticket (Fahrradkarte, €5) from any DB ticket machine. Please do this before arriving at the meeting point, which has an inversely proportional number of ticket machines versus people needing tickets.

Please sign up on Meetup to join.

Link to map

In an attempt to get new members we started advertising our rides on meet up. After a slow start it began to get results and more people started to sign up there instead of here. It only served to confuse people having two places to sign up, so we decided recently to have the sign up on meet up, but continue to advertise the rides here.