Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy Graham crackers

34 posts in this topic

I'm looking for graham cracker crumbs to make a nice base crust for a dessert I'm planning. I visited the local Edeka and, failing that, made a trip to Kaufhof with high hopes but they were dashed in short order.

Has anyone seen these here?

Nope, but you can take my advice and mash up a bunch of Leibnitz Vollkorn biscuits and you'll get the same effect.

I buy digestive biscuits from Hertie and use them (most fall into my mouth first though - oops).

Leibnitz Vollkorn will also work. Is this for a cheesecake?

It's for a flat sweet square using sweetened condensed milk, grated coconut, nuts and chocolate chips (also a challenge to find, but not impossible). I have friends from Canada visiting at the end of next month...I have enough maple syrup for the year, maybe I'll ask them to bring a couple of boxes of graham crackers instead.

Thanks for the suggestion to use vollkorn crackers. It will be a stopgap solution until I can get the real thing!

Yeah they have Graham Crackers at the German American Grocery Store on Baaderstrasse, UBahn Fraunhoferstr. If you don't know it, the address will be found through the 'search' on here as it's been mentioned a few times.

Good luck!

I just baked a cheesecake this weekend using crushed-up Kölln cookies, worked great. Except that I had to unwrap each cookie individually, as they're Kölln Cakes, Hafer-Snacks. I'm doing the Leibniz thing next time myself. (Leibniz Landkeks look to be similar to the Kölln thingies -- individually wrapped. S'posed to be good for you.)

Subsitute for Vanilla Wafers: ladyfingers. The same cake sticks you use for Tiramisu, not the slimy vegetable okra (which is called ladyfingers in Indian English, maybe even British English for all I know)

Vanilla wafers are eierplatzchen, but without the vanilla flavor and that is easy to fix.

It's for a flat sweet square using sweetened condensed milk, grated coconut, nuts and chocolate chips (also a challenge to find, but not impossible).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds good - whats the full recipe?

Was at the Käfer outlet store in Parsdorf at the weekend and noticed that have a Schnäppchen corner with among things Winnetou Maple Syrup for what seemed like a pretty decent price. Can't remember exactly what it cost but I remember thinking, hey thats pretty reasonable.

Sounds good - whats the full recipe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The recipe's at home. I'll post it tomorrow.

As requested, here's the recipe I need the crumbs for:

Quick Cookie Bars

1/2 cup butter

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 1/3 cup grated coconut

1 1/2 cup graham wafer crumbs

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped nuts

Melt butter in a 13"X9" baking pan. Sprinkle crumbs over butter. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs, then distribute choc. chips, coconut and nuts evenly over the top, and press down lightly.

Bake at 350 deg. F 25-30 minutes until lightly browned. When cold, cup into bars.

Enjoy!

if you want a amazing crust, crush Spekulatius Kekse up and use them. They taste even better than graham cracker crust.

Otherwise the suggestion to use Leibniz is good. But I do it with a twist, go to the Asian store on Leonrodstr. 14 (I posted this two weeks ago in another thread) and buy some brown sugar. Crush the Leibniz, brownsugar, nutmeg and ginger up in a food processer and add melted butter. This makes a crust similar to graham crackers as well.

thanks! i too was wondering about grahm cracker substitutes... i really want to make a cheesecake (good kind not weird ones i find here).

i have grahm crackers i brought back w/ me, but they're the cinnamon ones and i want to eat them! :)

Hi again Mere :)

just a tip about making a cheesecake here: I have noticed lately at Kaufhof and Minimal that they are stocking double cream philadelphia and other flavoured philadelphia but not normal philly. Whatever you do, don't use the double cream. For some reason it becomes to fluid when mixed and results in a grainy cheesecake.

oh thanks! yeah that'd be disgusting (Grainy cheesecake-blah!)

so what kind of cream cheese is reccomended instead of the "doublecream"? i dont know that i have seen the "regular" stuff anywhere.

i am also trying to make an american style cheesecake, and the info here has been very helpful.

have you tried "Schlagsahne"? I don't mean the stuff in the can but the liquid stuff in the pot that you can whip. I suppose it is the same as whipping cream, so must be closer to double cream than normal cream, oder?

I got a box of graham crackers from the american store on baaderstr... I guess it must be G&A Grocery Store. But this was a yr or 2 ago and the box cost like 5€...and it wasn't even honey maid, just a no name brand I think.