Penalties for slapping somebody

180 posts in this topic

hi ppl im from indonesia and im here in deutschland for internship. overall my stay is great but im still annoyed by this experience, which occured about a week ago.

i was in a train from paderborn back to bad sassendorf (near soest) (both of them are in Nordrhein-Westfalen) after looking for a wohnung in paderborn. i passed thru a group of teenagers, looked like aged 17 or something. a cute girl of them saw straight into my eyes, said 'Hallo' and offered her hand. i was a bit surprised, but as an Ausländer i dont wanna look rude to locals so i said 'Hi' and tried to shake her hand. but as our fingers touched, she suddenly pulled her hand and her friends laughed at me. i felt humiliated so i quickly walked away before she even waved her dirty hand telling me to go (which is a certainty, no?). the next time i passed thru them (i really didnt want to, but too bad the door was broken) they were quiet.

i'm still quite preoccupied by this thing although not as bad as it just happened. but if the same thing happens next time, im thinking of slapping their face or putting my chewing gum into their clothes to show them we (at least i) Ausländer have some pride too even when we're in their land. and if i do them, will they earn me a jailtime?

thx for replying

er, don't you think that slapping them or putting chewing gum into their clothes would only confirm their prejudices. You did the right thing but walking on by.

Can't you come up with some eloquent, insulting words, rather than physical violence?

1. Slapping & putting chewing gum on people, grow up and act like a man for fuck's sake. According to your profile you are 21 years old, yet you write like a petulant 12 year old.

2. You don't hit women, ever!

Edit: Ah, you're this guy. Do you live every day in fear for your life? Seriously, you need to calm down just a teensy weensy little bit.

selfguard, I'm currently having problems at the Ausländerbehörde, do you mind going with me next time to show them what the alternative is?

1. Slapping & putting chewing gum on people, grow up and act like a man for fuck's sake. According to your profile you are 21 years old, yet you write like a petulant 12 year old.

2. You don't hit women, ever!

yes im 21 years old. i dont and will never hit women, but not on this one. no offence really ok... but do u only warn a guy peeking at ur wife's underwear? cos i feel just the same. i'm trying to be kind by shaking her hand and she offended me instead. i could have just shown myself as a rude and reserved auslaender by just passing thru her when she said 'Hallo'. and previously i was that way so i tried to change and that's what i got

If you feel that she offended you then you can simply say "Fuck you, bitch!", hardly eloquent but certainly effective, and carry on about your business with the added bonus of getting to keep your chewing gum.

The meek shall inherit the earth...my arse they will!

It's definitely a bad thing to be a slapper...don't do it!

Why stop there? Try: f*ck you, stupid ugly NAZI bitch! :P

Or, tell her you hear that German girls like it rough, and would she care to go to your place, where you will tie her up and beat her, in private? :rolleyes:

Because, Mlovett, the use of that particular insult shows weakness and ignorance.

That's why I put the tongue sticking out, because I felt that your post showed the same thing. DUH. Irony: get it, much?

The dude should be able to come up with something more eloquent than the lameness that you suggested. :rolleyes:

It's definitely a bad thing to be a slapper...don't do it!

yes, and i've said earlier that i wont and never. but u know... i've tried to be kind to locals and previously i had been damn reserved that some of them got cold to me when i asked them something. i tried to make some change and i got the shame and i want to prevent one from taking place in the future.

You're letting this incident shame you? Who should be ashamed of their behavior - you or this air-headed girl?

Walk on, stand proud and don't let down your native country by stooping to the shameful behavior of an immature teenager.

If you want a real response it's entirely possible the girl facetiously extended her hand in recognized friendship because you passed through the middle of the group of friends. Oh, hey, great to see you, how've been? Always best to respect group space, especially of teenagers. Don't let them get in your head, dude.

i passed thru a group of teenagers, looked like aged 17 or something. a cute girl of them saw straight into my eyes, said 'Hallo' and offered her hand. i was a bit surprised, but as an Ausländer i dont wanna look rude to locals so i said 'Hi' and tried to shake her hand. but as our fingers touched, she suddenly pulled her hand and her friends laughed at me. i felt humiliated so i quickly walked away before she even waved her dirty hand telling me to go (which is a certainty, no?). the next time i passed thru them (i really didnt want to, but too bad the door was broken) they were quiet.

Teenager in group behaves in immature way? That's never happened before in a Western European nation, has it? Yup, better hit her. That'll teach her.

Maybe all 17 year olds in Indonesia are never immature. But I'm sure a lot of us can remember being on the receiving end of such stuff when we were 17 from our peers, perhaps even doing it.

EDIT - And you have of course posted previously on the Newcomers board about a problem with the German public when you "made a joke" on a train. I knew it sounded familiar. Something of an obsession going down?

Does assault not earn you jailtime at home then?

A child plays a prank on you and you think that physical assault is the best response?

You are 12.

Teenager in group behaves in immature way? That's never happened before in a Western European nation, has it? Yup, better hit her. That'll teach her.

Maybe all 17 year olds in Indonesia are never immature. But I'm sure a lot of us can remember being on the receiving end of such stuff when we were 17 from our peers, perhaps even doing it.

EDIT - And you have of course posted previously on the Newcomers board about a problem with the German public when you "made a joke" on a train. I knew it sounded familiar. Something of an obsession going down?

integration process underway

That's why I put the tongue sticking out, because I felt that your post showed the same thing. DUH. Irony: get it, much?

My humble apologies dear lady, I normally don't pay any attention to the smiley faces that are used as it is often the case that people employ them in order to mask uncertainty in their statements. Such as someone calling someone else a fucktard and adding :ph34r: so that afterwards they can claim they were only joking because they added a smiley. In your case, based on experience, I just thought you were being dumb.

The dude should be able to come up with something more eloquent than the lameness that you suggested.

The dude, as you generously called him, came up with putting chewing gum in their clothing. I suspect that the finer points of English langauge use might be beyond that one.

Oh, and :P

look im THINKING, not really want to DO it. which is why i need ur inputs folk. that's that. i just wanna know how u see it and if it's appropriate to such immature teenagers

i've been in the east for long time and it's been the first time i live in europe and now is about my third month being here. i do have read about german culture but things get harsher when it comes to first hand experiences even to u fellow westerners right? i've seen many anglo-speakers (kiwis, aussies, cans, yankees, SAs, etc.) here having trouble with adapting themselves to german society and i do have one too

Would you have slapped her in Indonesia? I'm guessing no.

I think the "don't invade group space" bit is going to be helpful for you.

do u only warn a guy peeking at ur wife's underwear?

Depends on why my wife is showing the guy her underwear.

And the trouble we have adjusting to German society tends to be with the bad supermarkets and the few shopping hours. Though they're better than they used to be.