Republican anti-Obama 'tea party' protests

252 posts in this topic

Critics of President Barack Obama marked national tax day with "tea party" protests that Republicans called the birth of a grassroots opposition, but Democrats dismissed as a fraud.

...Protests featured tea bags, iced tea and other tea-related props, complete with a planned re-enactment of the original dumping of tea into Boston harbor.

But despite the catchy theme, there were questions about whether the scattered, mostly Republican forces could achieve a significant turnout. The Republican party has been in disarray since Senator John McCain lost the White House to Obama last year and support from senior figures to the tea parties appeared lukewarm.

Love the last bit:

...liberals mocked the protests as a flop, even poking fun at Republicans' seemingly innocent vow to go "teabagging," which in slang means a sex act.

Source

The news mainly showed people with signs. Basically they say the gov't takes too much money in taxes and that many of the people's "kids and grandchildren" will be paying lots in tax to pay back what's going on now.

The news mainly showed people with signs. Basically they say the gov't takes too much money in taxes and that many of the people's "kids and grandchildren" will be paying lots in tax to pay back what's going on now.

Or paying back for what went on for the last eight ;)

Yups... that's what the WI governor/democrats said last night on the news :)

I was merely saying what I hear while half asleep last night (not giving my own opinion that I find all rather ridiculous and you can't blame only the present people).

god americans love shifting blame and having short memories.

why don't you band together and overthrow the government (2nd amendment), shut the fuck up, or get on board, namely, try to see WHY this government spending was done?

no. you'll fry your fish no matter what it does because it's wearing the wrong gang colour. Too many bailouts or not enough bailouts resulting in economic collapse. One way or the other, somebody would be calling for blood. Please tell me what could be done in the eyes of the Republicans to make this administration's performance acceptable and effective?

Oops. I think I just exposed the pettiness of it all. It's not about moving the country forward - it's just a big power grab. Lust after power by a socio-economic layer of idiots.

Canadian politics are no better, but at least we have many parties that have to learn how to cooperate.

Here is another view of the "tea parties":

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123984928625323721.html

Here's your favourite word: RUBBISH

This is an important development. In 2008, voters were less worried about taxes than they had been in previous elections. Why? Because the 15 years between President Bill Clinton's 1993 tax hike and Barack Obama's increase in cigarette taxes in February was the longest stretch in U.S. history without a federal tax increase.

Um... because the financial crisis wasn't really made all that public until Obama came to office? Remember the word BAILOUT? Tax money pays for that.

Please take the blinders off. Your field of vision will be much wider.

god americans love shifting blame and having short memories.

So protestors are now indictive of American's political beliefs? Or is it just when the right wing nutjobs come out? Because there were shitloads of anti-war protestors when Bush was in office and I am fairly sure you didn't say "god americans are against the war".

Most of the pictures I saw yesterday were toothless rednecks anyway. There were some amusing signs though, a bunch likening Obama to hitler and then a bunch of religious signs telling us to stop abortions or keep America christian (apparently they didn't get the memo of what they were protesting).

Also, tea bag. hehehehehe.

/juvenile laugh

Here's your favourite word: RUBBISH

Um... because the financial crisis wasn't really made all that public until Obama came to office? Remember the word BAILOUT? Tax money pays for that.

Please take the blinders off. Your field of vision will be much wider.

Not sure which rock you were hiding under last fall, but evidently it sure kept you from seeing and hearing what was going on with TARP, Lehman Brothers, AIG, the nationalization of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, severe drops in the stock market, etc. FYI, deficit spending seems to be paying for the bailout.

I wonder what sex act will be the mascot of the next round of protests... Cleveland steamer? Dirty Sanchez? Cincinnati Bowtie?

I believe all Republicans should be teabagged.

I would love to see more MSM people use the term. It shows how "impartial" they are.

The hardball questions about enchantment are enchanting...

Obama

Now im worried! Teabagging, to me, is a diving expression* so will have to look up this new meaning...

*as in flapping about with BC's full to bursting at the surface before submerging... (going down... ok, stop now)

Re US fiscal policy:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_...us_obama_budget

In twin strokes, President Barack Obama is calling on Congress to reward generous budget increases to domestic programs while proposing relatively modest cuts to wasteful or obsolete programs that just won't seem to die.

A 3.4 trillion USD budget with an expected budget deficit of over 1.5 trillion USD next fiscal year. :ph34r:

That is almost 1%! The man is a fiscal conservative.

Two questions:

1) What was the percentage cut to the budget of the US military proposed by Obama that Republicans claimed would gut our military?

2) What was the percentage of the budget cut by the previous administration?

(and yes, I'd actually like an answer)

Not sure, but I know the cuts stopped a lot of advanced R&D programs. That will kill some hi-tech jobs in the US and make the US less able militarily in the long run.

And they killed additional F22 production, which I head will kill another 100,000 jobs for something that was "shovel ready".

Remember, they play games. Some call it a cut if you cut the rate of increase (but the budget still goes up).

1) What was the percentage cut to the budget of the US military proposed by Obama that Republicans claimed would gut our military?

Listen here commie, if we dont spend as much as the rest of the world combined on the military, the terrorists win.