Life in the town of Oldenburg

23 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm going to study in Oldenburg later this year as a university student, just wondering in terms of accommodation, aside from all those hostels and WG-Gesucht, any other ways I can find accommodation in Oldenburg near the university? I heard it can be quite difficult in looking for places to stay, and so far I can confirm it is really hard XD. Thanks a lot.

P.S I'm also still not in Germany, so that does make things harder :P.

On 7/13/2017, 9:59:58, Darude said:

Hi all, I'm going to study in Oldenburg later this year as a university student, just wondering in terms of accommodation, aside from all those hostels and WG-Gesucht, any other ways I can find accommodation in Oldenburg near the university? I heard it can be quite difficult in looking for places to stay, and so far I can confirm it is really hard XD. Thanks a lot.

P.S I'm also still not in Germany, so that does make things harder :P.

Are you coming in as  PhD student or bachelor/masters?  There is some University housing close available to visiting researchers but in general, your best bet is to look for accommodation on WG-Gesucht.  Email/call the flat you're interested in and they'll invite you for an interview.  It's hard to do if you're not physically in Oldenburg... in my experience most aren't that into doing Skype interviews although it doesn't hurt to ask.  The sooner you can do it, the better.  Come September/October, there will be a lot of new students looking for housing and as Uni Oldenburg overenrolled last year, there might still be a housing crunch.  I live in Bremen and commute so don't know too much about the current situation here.

Oldenburg is small, so don't worry about living too close to the university.  Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Oldenburg has no Straßenbahn, just a bus system (which is still pretty good, just dependent on the variables of traffic, plus there has been a lot of local road work the past year). The Hbf is a little farther from the university than perfect walking distance, but it would be easy to bus or bike from if you end up in an outlying area. Give Bremen some serious thought. Good luck. Housing is very difficult right now everywhere, especially in college cities with the influx of people in general and the change in the Abitur system in particular. Be firm about what you absolutely must have in a living space, because it's really important to be able to have a place to retreat to during the first stressful months at university.