Life in the town of Oldenburg

23 posts in this topic

Hello! My hubby and I are moving to Oldenburg May 1st from Stuttgart. Just wondering if anyone has opinions on things to do and/or things to avoid, life in Oldenburg or surrounding area, places to visit, etc. We'll be there for 2 months and want to make the best of it!

I'm also interested in finding a German Sprach partner/in. I'm a native English speaker who is looking to continue improving my German. Any suggestions/advice would be great!

Cheers,

Erin

Hi Erin!

Oldenburg is a lovely place to live. I am here now for 10 years and really love life here. Places to go around Oldenburg are easy to find - whatever you like: biggish city life in Bremen which is close, relaxing countryside (including 30 minutes drive by car to the Northsea) and so on. Oldenburg has a vivid streetlife due to its students and its quite relaxed people. You'll greet everyone with a "Moin" instead of "Guten Tag" or "Guten Abend". The theatre (Staatstheater) has a good reputation and there are several museums. The shopping district is quite large for only 160.000 inhabitans and offers a lot of variety as well as cafes, restaurants, bistros... There will be "Kultursommer" soon, which will include a lot of cultural events...

There is not a real area you should avoid. The best and beloved places to live are Oldenburg-Mitte/Gerichtsviertel, Ziegelhofviertel, Ehnernviertel, Dammtorviertel. Osternburg,Eversten, Marschwegviertel and Donnerschwee are also very nice. Bigger shopping centres are: Homepark by Ikea with an Ikea store , Obi diy and a kitchen store, Einkaufsland Wechloy in Oldenburg Wechloy with a mall of clothing, furniture, flower, and so on-shops, a market square with restaurants and a huge famila hypermarket. Outside the actual mall you'll find Media Markt, Max Bahr diy, BOC, and many other clothes or shoe shops. Einkaufsland Wechloy is Oldenburg biggest "shopping centre".

Saturday mornings in the city centre are a must! Great market and wonderful atmosphere. Olantis Huntebad offers everything for Wellness-swimming, massages, sauna...

There is a small harbour in the city centre on the river Hunte with some relaxing places for a hot coffee or a cool beer :). Plenty of ways to go by bike or walk within green fields full of sheep ...

Bad Zwischenahn is also very near, which is a popular, bit snobby "Kurort" on a lake. It's also easy to visit the Netherlands (Winschoten/Groningen) within an hour by car or train...

I could write so much more...

Feel free to email me- appreciate any contact with a native speaker :)!

I had been living in Berlin for years when my then girlfriend got a job offer in Oldenburg. I flat out refused after seeing the place, It's boring boring boring boring boring. We broke up over it and I have never regretted it. I can't think of a more uninteresting place. At least you're only there for 2 months.

Well - I think this comparison lacks. You cannot compare Berlin with Oldenburg. If you are used to places like Berlin smaller towns are of course boring at first sight. It's even more boring to see a place and judge about it without having experienced it. As far as I understood Erins question information and not only an opinion was asked for...

I lived there for six months and I really loved it- it's one of my favourite cities! It's fairly small and quiet but not in a middle-of-nowhere kind of way. It's still got all the shops and markets you need, and plenty of museums and things to see. I'd live there again if I could.

Hello,

I need your help. I am trying to find Magdolna Csiha who used to play handball for Oldenburg. She was a great player for Hungary and later moved to the Oldenburg area. I am a great fan of her and like to say hello to her. Any ideas how I can find her? Please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Gyfgyf

Hello,

My wife and I just moved to Jaderberg, just north of Oldenburg. We are in our early 40s. Any english speakers interested in meeting up?

I would be interested in any sort of conversation -German-English, just English if this would be alright?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes would be interested. I'm fluent in German but would be niceto meet fellow natives in around OL. Is there a place where you meet usually... assuming you're not the only one of course.

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this wonderful Forum. I'll be moving to Oldenburg, in 1 month's time, from Georgia, and was hoping to meet up with TTers in Oldenburg, as and when time permits. I hope that would be possible.

kind regards..

Hello everyone,

Amazing to find out there is a rather big community of English speakers in Oldenburg! :)

In a couple of months I am going to move to Oldenburg to join my boyfriend - I know the town very well. As my German is okish (B1) but not good enough - I am originally Italian - I was just curious to find out how the integration process went for you guys.. Did you have difficulties learning the language and integrating with the culture?

I am just a bit worried of the non-internationality of the town..Having said that, do you have any tips to share on the job front, considering I don't speak the language very well yet?

Cheers,

Greta

I am visiting Oldenburg tomorrow just for the day. I'm currently living in Vechta and looking to just have a relaxing day in Oldenburg. Does anyone have any suggestions on where is the best place to park, for the least amount of money?

Also, any suggestions on nice things to do? I think we mostly plan to stroll around for the afternoon and have dinner but I do horseback ride and am interested in seeing if there are any museums about the origination of Oldenburg horses. Thanks!

hey greta,

I studied in oldenburg, and now some years later have a job in bremen.

Oldenburg actually has a reasonable number of international students. There is an international student group that shows films, aranges language exchanges, and festivals etc. Quite a lively place, and I found it a lot of fun to study there

The request in the first message in this thread, the one which started the thread, is great.  This thread should periodically be updated.  If someone from Berlin is visiting Oldenburg for two months, and knows German so poorly that he asks about Oldeburg in an English language forum, what opinions would you have about what to do and to avoid?
Before I give my own opinions, I will comment on the opinions already posted.
The city theater was suggested.  I think that the theater would not be appreciated much by someone who knows German poorly.
Someone mentioned horseback riding.  I do not know if Oldenburg has a stable which rents horses.
Someone mentioned the North Sea.  The Sea is north of Oldenburg.  There are nice beaches there.
At least one person mentioned museums.  Oldenburg's museums are neither outstanding nor pathetic.  Before I continue, I need to mention two things:  lighting, and visiting method.  Some museum rooms have room lighting.  In room lighting:  an entire room is well lit.  Room lighting is expensive.  In exhibit lighting, there is enough lighting by each exhibit to permit that exhibit to be seen well by someone close to that exhibit.  A museum's electricity bill is much lower with exhibit lighting.  There are at least two ways to visit museums:  thorough visiting and glance visiting.  Thorough visitors examine each exhibit.  Glance visitos take one or two steps into a room, glance at the exhibits in that room, then look closely only at those exhibits, if any, which seemed interesting at the glance.  Glance visiting is possible only in museums with room lighting.  One cannot do glance visiting.in a museum with exhibit lighting.  At least once, I saw each exhibit in each Oldenburg museum.  I am certain that at least one Oldenburg museum has exhibit lighting.  I think, but am not certain, that more Oldenburg museums have exhibit lighting.  The people who recommended Oldenburg museums did not recommend any specific exhibit or museum.  Neither do I.  Oldenburg is near the Netherlands.  There is an art museum on an island in a river in Groningen, the Netherlands.  That museum's eclectic, art collection is much better than all the art in all of Oldenburg's museums.  For example, the island museum has many Warhols.  Some of that museum's best pieces are small objects in display cases in the basement.  The island museum has a men's toilet room-  That room has toilet stalls.  The interiors of the stalls are nice.  They are visually interesting to someone sitting on a toilet.  Every other men's toilet stall interior I've seen anywhere, was drab.  It is fitting that what is possibly the world's only visually interesting, men's toilet stall interior, is in an art museum.
At least one person praised Oldenburg's shopping.  Recall that the advice is being given to people visiting from Berlin, which has great shopping opportunities.  Before I comment on Oldenburg shopping, I shall briefly describe Oldenburg.   I  saw cows grazing, and a farmer's corn filed, in Oldenburg.  I think that the cows and corn field were in Oldenburg.  If not, they were extremely close.  I saw a goat in the side yard of a one-family house in Oldeburg.  While on a sidewalk of a residential street in Oldenburg, I heard a rooster crow.  The rooster was very close although I could not see it.  Once, while going somewhere in Oldenburg, I encountered a flock of sheep in my way.   Gently, I nudged my way through the flock.  One day at home in Oldenburg, I heard much mooing.  I left to find the cow.  It was in a field a block away.
This is the city whose shopping is touted above on this page.  Oldenburg has a department store.  Because of Oldenburg's low population, it lacks many specialized retailers found in larger cities.  For example, Oldenburg does not have an army surplus store.
If I wanted to buy a computer, I would try to buy directly from its non-German manufacturer,  regardless of what is available in local stores.
If I wanted to ask a local hospital to treat me for cancer, the Evangelical hospital would not be at the top of my list.
In general, if a visitor from Berlin can't find what he wants in Oldenburg, he should wait until he returns to Berlin.  If he can't wait, he should shop in Bremen, which is close to Oldenburg.
One poster mentioned Oldeburg's supposedly, vibrant street life.  Oldeburg streets are used to park cars.  They are vast parking lots.  Also, the streets are used for transportation.  I was told that there had been polite begging in the past.  The poster who referred to vibrant street life did not write where and when to see it, or w.t it consists of.  I haven't even seen sedate street life in Oldenburg.
Above, I comment on others' posts.  Below, I make my own suggestion.
A visitor to Oldenburg may have heard of dikes and levees but never seen one.  There is a levee in Cloppenburg, or possibly it's in south Oldenburg.  There are dikes at the North Sea.  When visiting a levee or dike, it is common to climb to the top, then briefly walk along the top.