Astra 2D and BBC/ITV reception in Germany

153 posts in this topic

My german TV technician suggested I try a Kreiselmeyer Cassegrain (it has two reflectors, one in back and one in front) dish to improve reception a couple of years ago.

It improved my reception to take care of Astra 2D signal loss during heavy rain or snowfall. These dishes are hard to find, but you might have luck on eBay.

With the additional reflector, my 90 cm dish (according to the technician), works as efficiently as a traditional 120 cm dish.

My location is in the northern tip of Schwaebisch Hall county, and the dish is focused on Astra 2D only.

Baden Würtenberg only needs a 70cm dish antenna for BBC etc.

A 90cm would ensure that you never lose reception in storms

Your Techie talks tosh...

@SpiderPig: I really WISH that 70 cm would do the job, but we tried it, and were unsuccessful. 80 worked in perfect weather, but zonked out in heavy rain or snow, and I had a couple of hours in the evening in winter where a couple of the weaker 2D transponders fell out.

BTW, we are in the northeast corner of Baden-Wuettemberg.

I followed my techie's recommendation, and reception seemed to improve. Not being a technician, the only indicators I can use to measure are the signal / quality levels, which did improve (on a Topfield TF7700HDPVR).

So, I am wondering (wishing to learn, too) where the tosh was? Can you enlighten me?

Ok.. I semi retract..

80 cm where you are 1m is overkill!

Trust me!!!

Ok.. I semi retract..

- a semi-retracted Piggy? Wow! that I've gotta see :blink:

We have a 90cm dish in Sachsenhausen, Frankfurt. In the past we had an 80cm dish which worked fine on clear days, but when it was very cloudy the signal dropped. Since moving to 90cm we never have any problems.

The dish was clearly poorly adjusted then

FFM only a 75cm dish is needed..

Piggy is dishy! :D Give the bastard a call before the World Cup...not long to go..

The dish was clearly poorly adjusted then

FFM only a 75cm dish is needed..

No, the dish was properly installed. The new dish was located in exactly the same spot, pointing in exactly the same direction. It is not in a difficult spot to adjust, so I could spend quite a bit of time with the original dish to play around with alinement and watch the TV at the same time to see the signal strength. I even had a technician come in with proper tuning kit to see if he could do a better job but couldn't. I have read that even in localized areas like cities, there are sweat spots and bad spots for signal.

There is more to correct installation than simply alignment of the dish. I concur that 70cm or larger is fine for the Frankfurt area, when all the other installation factors are optimal (type and quality of dish, choice of LNB and alignment, cable, receiver, etc).

^^ regarding the installation is correct. High quality LNB with low noise, quality well shielded cables without exceeding the correct length, avoiding splices and connector between LNB and receiver amongst quite a few more. The installation was top notch and a qualified technician couldn't improve the situation. Replacing the dish with a 90cm one solved the problem. Since Astra 2D is narrow beamed to the UK, we are on the fringes here in germany. Being on the fringes adds a pile of other issues which would not be present when being well within the confined beam. There are hot spots and weak spots even within a metropolitan region and althout 70cm may be fine in some installations, it is not enough for all.

No amount of readjusting could improve my situation. I tested it at another location, using my cable, my receiver, my LNB and dish at a friends house who was 6km from where I lived and had no problems. But in my location, despite a direct view to the heavens I need a 90cm dish.

I use the Cheapest LNBs from Real and the dish is a oval 80 dish look here 4488601571_1fc34bc001.jpg

and i get very good reception OK when the blackest of the black clouds turn up i lose reception but they must be real black clouds

and it does not bother me enough to start pratting around with the setup

I live in Karlsbad near Karlsruhe

>Stu

"High quality LNB with low noise"...

Precisely the wrong sort for UK TV...

Interesting comment, considering when I upgraded my LNB it improved my signal quality and strength and was quite noticable. Not enough though which was why I upgraded my dish as well.

Since you are so adamant that I needent have installed a larger dish, what else would you have suggested?

you can't judge the signal strength on BBC by the signal strength and quality gauges on the Sky box as these will simply show the strongest signal coming through which will be the Sky channels, which are on a different satellite to the BBC channels. I have fantastic reception of Sky One, Sky news etc but BBC2 Wales is extremely weak and one of the first channels to break up when bad weather comes along. I can move the dish slightly and the signal strength and quality will improve massively on the sky box but at the same time i can completely lose signal to BBC2 Wales, BBC1, ITV, channel 4 and five.

... and a qualified technician couldn't improve the situation.

Yeah I had one of those come around too. Had a grey lab coat on which apparently qualified him. Spent in all 8 man hours to get no-shit aligned and I just paid 65,-€. "Qualified technicians" in Germany have since sunk in my opinion. Later had a guy come over whos number was here on TT. Watching the guy nudge the dish (mm range) and twist the LNB just right surprised me just how exact it has to be aligned. Mind you during the last winter (which was VERY heavy on the snow side) I never once lost the signal until the LNB arm was under 20cm of snow (pics somewhere I think).

Is there a spaceship parked between you and Astra2d? I dont understand how FFM is supposed to have fringe issues when SpiderPig has probably installed a few dozen in Munich and a lot of us in more remote places in Germany.

Im running on an 80cm in Hamburg and its just your standard Conrad electronic store setup.

you can't judge the signal strength on BBC by the signal strength and quality gauges on the Sky box as these will simply show the strongest signal coming through which will be the Sky channels, which are on a different satellite to the BBC channels. I have fantastic reception of Sky One, Sky news etc but BBC2 Wales is extremely weak and one of the first channels to break up when bad weather comes along. I can move the dish slightly and the signal strength and quality will improve massively on the sky box but at the same time i can completely lose signal to BBC2 Wales, BBC1, ITV, channel 4 and five.

That's because Sky One is on Astra 2A. This satellite is not narrow beamed over the UK and has a wider foot print, meaning in Germany you can get quite strong signals with a smaller dish.

Astra 2A footprint

BBC, ITV, Channel4 and five are broadcasted from Astra 2D. This is narrow beamed over the UK and signal strength is much lower in Germany.

Astra 2D footprint

Note: I don't profess those footprints posted to be guides of what dish sizes are needed. They are just posted as an example of the vastly different footprints between Astra 2A and Astra 2D in which Sky One and the BBC are quite different. By the way, if you are getting weak channels on the BBC, then I suggest you try a larger dish ;O) Sorry, but it worked a treat for me.