Astra 2D and BBC/ITV reception in Germany

153 posts in this topic

It does not need to be a luxury, nor does it need to be expensive. A basic digital receiver, dish, mounting bracket and cable should cost €150 or less (but if you want to spend more than you can consider HD services, better usability and a comprehensive EPG) - look for special offers of complete packages in DIY or electronic stores. If you are technically minded then consider installation yourself or employ a professional for a couple of hours - depending, of course on how (or even if) it can be installed on your property. The dish in the Stuttgart area need not be so large - 70-80cm should be fine, depending on your actual location.

@yorkshirelad

"Luxury" would be the purchase of a Skybox with a proper Sky UK subscription service. Otherwise, a simple FTA receiver for UK terrestial access would suffice. I'm have really only an interest to receive channels like FOUR, FIVE, ITV, and the BBC's, but all having any additional English language senders would be a definite plus.

About the cost... Bav Sat gave me a rough figure of about 600 EUROS for the cost of the equipment - including a Skybox - for UK services alone. Naturally, I would like a second LNB for the German services and this would cost an additional undisclosed amount for this part of the installation. He also quoted me 180 EUROS for the travel alone. This "luxury" is probably too expensive for me at the moment.

I am a technically minded person... and a rather apt one... so I'm considering purchasing the materials and doing this myself. Honestly, it doesn't seem at all like rocket science at all. However, my biggest disadvantage is my lack of proper tools necessary to complete the task. That said, I will probably end up hiring a local firm to do this for me. My thoughts for the setup would be...

- 85 cm dish (overkill, but better to be safer than sorry)

- Two LNB's - one for UK and one for German access. With two separate recievers for each of the services. At least, this is what I understood from all of my fact finding. If anyone has any recommendation for LNB type, then please let me know.

Thanks, yorkshirelad! It's a please to discuss this with you.

use a diseqc switch. You can then switch between the two lnbs automatically with just one receiver.

@kaetzchen

Thanks for the tip! I read about some type of switch for the dual LNB/single receiver application, but also read something about some sort of difficulty. I've looked up this device and it doesn't seem so difficult at all. I dare ask... once a DiSeqC is installed, is it the receiver that will do the actual switching between both LNBs? I've seen a picture of one and it looks to be a passive splitter, so then I would assume the answer to my question is probably yes.

Anyway, thanks for giving me another piece of the puzzle. I've learned so much about Satellite setup in the last few days. In the USA, we have Direct TV and they pretty much take care of everything for you. It's similar to Sky in the UK.

A DiSEqC ("Digital Satellite Equipment Control") switch is an intelligent relay controlled by the receiver which, among other things can switch 2 or more LNB outputs onto the single receiver input. Each channel you programme on the receiver includes a setting for the switch to automatically feed the relevant LNB input (e.g. Astra 19degs (German) or Astra 28degs (UK)) into the satelite tuner.

Be aware - the alignment for 2 LNBs on the same dish is far more difficult than for a single configuration as you have 2 additional degrees of freedom to consider and a more complicated technical setup, notwithstanding being sure the individual components will actually work together. It's situations like this where professional support such as that offered by Bavaria Satellite can save you a lot of time, and maybe even money.

Pardon the questions, but I've read more on the DiSeqC switch and motor. Is it necessary to have both together? Or, can I just use the switch without the motor.

If I operate a separate LNB for both German and UK programming, with the dish pointed at 28.2, will I be able to receive the German programming without having to turn the dish in another direction?

Sorry for the redundancy here, but the DiSeqC motor thing has added a bit of confusion.

No. The DiSEqC protocol can control all manner of devices including a motor which can be used to drive a dish. In your case you are using it as a simple discrete relay to switch between 2 LNBs. The receiver sends a DiSEqC control signal to the switch to select the relevant LNB (= satellite signal). The dish is fixed, but has the two LNBs mounted on the end of the arm to receive the signals from adjacent satellites.

Good. So just to verify that I understand you correctly, yorkshirelad...

I can indeed operate 2 LNBs with a stationary dish (28.2) receiving both satellites. Furthermore, I will be able to toggle between using just the DiSeqC.

Cheers, good man!

yup, that is correct. Be sure to mount the weakest satellite´s LNB in the most central position (i.e. 28,2°).

I managed 28,2° and 19,2° on a 60cm dish here in Heidelberg without much of a problem. Doing this means you also only need to run one wire into the house.

... Two LNB's - one for UK and one for German access. With two separate recievers for each of the services ...

use a diseqc switch. You can then switch between the two lnbs automatically with just one receiver.

If you're into recording programmes you'd otherwise miss, you'd be better off with 2 LNBs and 2 receivers. We had such a setup in the UK before coming here, i.e. 1 dish, 2 LNBs and 2 receivers for UK FTA and German FTA transmissions: we could simultaneously watch stuff from either LNB and record from the other, or record UK & German stuff simultaneously.

Just buy a twin reciever with harddisk

http://www.testberichte.de/p/techno-trend-tests/tt-select-s550-pvr-testbericht.html

two LNBs and a dish get someone too nip round set up the Sat for you

your local german TV man would do it and it would not cost as much as I have been reading about on here AND he will be from your town so no horrendous travel costs .mine was set up for I think 70 euros the dish was already up there

Stu

Yes...

In Munich a call out to align a dish is 75€ plus travel costs...

Dont forget that installing your own dish on a roof also has its issues too!!

Lets not forget insurances that need to be covered by a profi...

SP

@kaetzchen

Thanks for that little bit of info!

Thank you to everyone else for the advice! You've all been polite and helpful whereas the simple reply on a public forum would be simply to GOOGLE IT!. Anyway, on Tuesday, I will set out to figure out exactly how this is going to transpire.

In the US, we have a saying "There's more than one way to skin a cat". Why a cat, you ask? I don't know. Anyway, I'm sure that you can understand it's implication.

Please keep the info coming... if you have more to share! :)

We've only got a smallish size dish (800mm circa) here in the west Harz but it works fine until we get really bad weather, then we can only get Sky News and some of the more obscure channels.

To all concerned: ITV HD is now available from freesat.

You might need to do a new channel search to find it. Been on for a few days now.

Carry on.