Astra 2D and BBC/ITV reception in Germany

153 posts in this topic

I think the quality of coverage and quality of rugby played is better than the magners...plus lions tours, super14, tri nations....

Since there's a lot of debate here about the beam patterns, required dish size etc., it's worth posting an actual coverage map for the present coverage.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/satellite-fleet/interactive-footprint-map/index.php

Regards,

Phil.

Here is an Accurate map of the current Astra2D footprint

post-20684-12637521551725_thumb.gif

Wrong person but he can also read it

Thanks for taking the crap in my name MrNosey :lol:

Thats what happens when you mix up Reinbek and Bad Oldesloe

Sure that maps up to date? Thats an old map SP, Bonn is still the capital of Germany :lol: kidding.

Here is an Accurate map of the current Astra2D footprint

No map can be really accurate. The map shown which is certainly one of the better guides to dish size was originally published in "What Satellite and Digital Television" magazine and can be found online on the very useful Sam Radford satellite pages. Despite that it shows a dish size of 1.2-1.5m for Munich, but as Bavaria Satellites have shown, with the right equipment, correct installation and accurate alignment, dish sizes of 85cm or smaller are perfectly possible.

The Map is as Accurate as it can possibly get...

The example being 60KM east of MUC a 75cm dish will work fine... 60KM west.. then we are heading for q 1.2m dish..

That sort of detail would be hard to show on a map like this..

But in general, Its a good "rule of thumb" map!

Bearing in mind that it is obtainable online now, what's the problem?

I watch TV online (rigged through TV). I watch a mix of UK freeview via a Slingbox and streaming/iplayer/4OD via a UK VPN. It all works fine, but what is missing is the recording/playback ease of functionality that you get with Satellite (sky+ or freesat alternative). Has anyone managed to find a PVR that offers all the Sky+ functionality? Let me know if you have...or else I too will be forced down the satellite route just to get this.

Any ideas?

For the BBC and ITV at least, iPLayer allows you to watch programmes up to 7 days (sometimes more) after their original transmission, or to download the mediafile to your PC. That's very close to PVR functionality...

Yes, I use the iPlayer Download Manager...and it is a help. What is miss though is the Sky+ series link and the ease with which you can tag stuff to record. Then, whenever you sit down you have a feast of TV waiting...you don't have to think of things to download.

So you never found a good PVR for recording Slingbox or streams?

If you really want Sky+ functionality (which is very specific), why not install Sky+ at your Slingbox host? (which is very straightforward to provide the functionality you desire)

Good idea YorkshireLad6 but but unfortunately my Slingbox host is not on for this.

I was planning to go down the satellite option (until I read this scaremongering thread!) using a 120cm dish and a Panasonic DMR-BS850 which does everything Sky+ does (and some) but for no fees.

It's a pricey piece of kit though and my set-up will be in Traunstein kries (near Reit im Winkl) which is already in the 120cm+ dish zone...without any bloody footprint tightening!

.. a Panasonic DMR-BS850 which does everything Sky+ does (and some) but for no fees.

Well, it doesn't do Sky, and it is outrageously expensive, compared to a Humax PVR + Blu-ray recorder (of you really need that function), and of course it can't do iPlayer (Humax can)

I just setup an 80cm dish with a UK Sky box in Nurnberg - Have clear line of sight from 5th floor south facing balcony - Getting 90-95% signal strength - BBC/ITV etc brilliant quality

Very happy :)

Hello Folks, I need a little guidance here. I'm an American now living in Germany for over two years, and I've only become aware of the possibility of having genuine English language TV here in Germany. I've been researching this topic for several days now and I need some proper guidance. I'm quite familiar with UK programming because I've also spent a considerable amount of time there. That said, I've a few queries...

- Is it possible be able to receive both German and English Terrestials on the same dish pointed at 28.2? I probably already know the answer to this one, but can someone please verify.

- Can someone give me a rough idea of that non-UK channels that I would also be able to receive with a dish pointed at 28.2 Astra 2 sat. I do tend to watch the France 24, and Al Jazeera Int'l.

- Can the basic UK Terrestials be seen on a normal FTA reciever, or does it have to be a Skybox or Freesat reciever?

- I've read elsewhere that some people experience "fading out" of the signal, resulting in poor channel quality, at certain times of the day. Are there any comments?

Thanks folks!

• There are predominantly only English channels on 28.2degs. This list lists ALL channels and whether they are free to air or encrypted (which in the main means they belong to Sky). If you want to watch alternative channels from a different satellite, you need 2 or more LNBs (receptors) on the arm of your dish. That makes installation more complicated.
  • You don't need any special equipment to watch the main English terrestrial channels, so long as your dish is large enough and correctly installed. See TT Wiki for detailed information
  • If a dish is correctly installed then there should be no fading problems. Size is everything. People on fringe areas, or who use dishes on the border of being correct size can experience this problem.

@yorkshirelad

I've indeed received an answer from Bav Sat, and the man seemed honest, upfront, and helpful. Of course, I gave the courtesy of acknowledging his answer. In fact, I've already replied to two of his emails so far. Now it's up to me to consider his proposal because it would be rather costly But I must be honest, I did not expect this sort of "luxury" to be cheap anyway.