Astra 2D and BBC/ITV reception in Germany

153 posts in this topic

Scare- mongering...

Dont buy a car because we will run out of fosil fuels..

Dont buy Gas heating as we will run out of gas...

Dont buy an i-phone coz DK says so!

where on earth will it end??

No not scare mongering just a very polite warning to people about to spend a lot of money that they could have a redundant system in a few years time. After all what is the point of posting on these forums other than to give people advice in a timely and friendly way. If you think its scare mongering then dont read it.

A tighter beam will not make a system redundant. Just get a slightly larger dish "if" the beam will truly be tighter. This is all bull anyhow, only once the signals are handed over to the new satellite will you know if your setup will need some modification.

Gas and fossil fuels will probably run out, but not in our lifetime, so they are not reasons in the near future to put off buying cars and gas heating. While I listen to DKs rants on iPhones and the like, they are pure speculation.

The fact remains that new satellites will be launched in the next 2 years and they might have an effect on expatriate viewing, which is not really scaremongering, but simply a consideration to take into account if considering a serious investment in new equipment or services.

Thanks Yorkshirelad this was my point. i spent nearly 1200 euros on getting everything set up at my home... for most people a significant investment.

Can't say i like all this talk about "narrower beams", etc. Lived for the first 5 years with no English telly here, had it for the last 3, and to be openly honest would not like to live without it again.

Appreciate the heads up though, "forewarned is forearmed" and all that.

Thanks Yorkshirelad this was my point. i spent nearly 1200 euros on getting everything set up at my home... for most people a significant investment.

€1200 ?!?!

Yes - I was quite surprised how cheap it was. A dual feed system to multiple outlets in a home, with reasonable receivers correctly installed and cabled could easily be twice that.

1200 is nothing in the satellite installation business. 300 euro labour cost , 199 euros for a sky hd box, quad lnb and satellite dish 150cms about 500, cabling in the house including installing a skydigidialer to have pay per view 200 euros. This comes in at a 1200 euro cost, then there is the subscription on top....

150cm dish? are you grabbing some middle east satellites on the way?

Concerning SKY, I did the math to and decided it wasn't worth the effort. For the money spent I could BUY all the movies I'd watch and I have no interest in girls soccer (oh Davids a guy?!).

150cm I'm not surprised if he is East of Munich or in former East Germany. As for your situation, you wouldn't need to spend more than €300 to get a large selection of free UK TV.

Since there's a lot of debate here about the beam patterns, required dish size etc., it's worth posting an actual coverage map for the present coverage.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/satellite-fleet/interactive-footprint-map/index.php

Regards,

Phil.

How does weather come into it?

I live in Ulm and have a dish (definitely not 90 cm or bigger and have about 4 satellites on it (one of these all-inclusive things). reception from the BBC is crap with us having no signal a lot of the time when the weather's bad. Could this be resolved with a bigger dish?

It depends on a lot of things. If the prime focus of the dish is not at 28.2E but on one of the other satellites, that won't help with BBC reception. Heavy rain/snow reduces signal strength so that will have an effect as does any other obstructions, such as snow or moss or such on your dish surface or any other things like leaves/branches blocking out part of the dish from the sat signal. Roughly speaking, the bigger the dish area available to collect signal the better - though you need to have better alignment with a bigger dish and also still need a decent LNB and cable to the receiver.

150cm dish? are you grabbing some middle east satellites on the way?

Concerning SKY, I did the math to and decided it wasn't worth the effort. For the money spent I could BUY all the movies I'd watch and I have no interest in girls soccer (oh Davids a guy?!).

Mr Nosey I am actually in Limburg, Hessen. I decided on a 150cm dish as I knew , 2 years ago when it was installed, that in about 2012 the new satellites would start to arrive, therefore I have tried to future proof as far as possible. We are lucky to own a large detached house with a 100 square meter garden , where the satellite is installed. We never lose the signal for 2d even when it rains heavily.Its a difficult choice to make at the moment given the uncertainty(see www.digitalspy.co.uk for the lively debates about the new breed of satellites) about the new 2d relacement. Why dont you use the internet and get a vp for 5 quid a month and watch tv online, and then decide about satellite installation in 2 years when more will be known about the future of ex pat tv in europe. For me Sky was the choice because I must see Premiership and Heineken cup rugby which is on now as a matter of fact in glorious HD. As for German TV we use digital terrestrial with a small outside antenna.

Sorry thats what happens when you watch tv and use the laptop at the same time...