Astra 2D and BBC/ITV reception in Germany

153 posts in this topic

Nope. ITV HD had massive technical problems with the football last night, especially for people watching it on SkyHD boxes but the general transmissions were found. Sounds like freak weather conditions around you....

Can also confirm the above on Freesat too. HD service was poor however SD ran fine.

Edit- My personal experience is that ITV Hd football often does this, it has improved in the last 6 months, however every now and again it plays up.

Just a update ref ITV HD football, Man U V Leeds 11 mins in and already the same problem as yesterday, SD fine HD no picture just sound. Hope (but doubt) they sort it out for the Arsenal game later.

Aye, freak weather indeed and a teaspoon of snow covering part of the lnb.

Looks like a weather cover is on my shopping list for monday.

could a factory reset for the foxsat HDR be a solution?, tried software update to no avail.

It's not a problem with your system, it's a problem at ITVs end. They have massive problems with their encoders, and splitting the signal between the SD and HD variants on a live feed. It's not impossible, however that their earlier problems have messed up your system, so a reset never hurts and it's pretty straightforward on the Humax (but make sure you restore your recording schedules)

Just a update ref ITV HD football, Man U V Leeds 11 mins in and already the same problem as yesterday, SD fine HD no picture just sound. Hope (but doubt) they sort it out for the Arsenal game later.

Aagh, don't jinx it, I watched the entire glorious first half in HD on my Freesat box, despite having problems yesterday evening - when the picture came back, audio was 5 seconds behind.

Just did factory reset as advised in another forum (and by YL6)....lost all my future recording listing however HD now works perfect. So have to reprogramme german telly and recordings but can now watch footie in HD.

So sort of worth it....

Edit- Watching man u getting dumped out of the F.A cup to Leeds (in HD)makes it well worth anyother draw back!.

I tried today to get the Astra 2D in Frankfurt Seckbach with 72 cm disc, no luck. I will try another day with better weather conditions to see if I can get it. I only got some other channels from the other satellites.

Bad news for ex pat tv in the future. Astra will be launching new satellites as replacements for the current ones in 2012,2013, and 2014. First to be replaced will be Astra 2d. 2d is the satellite for all BBC and ITV as well as Channel 4 programmes.This will be replaced by a satellite with an even tighter spotbeam on the UK. In other words very large dishes will be needed in Western Germany to get the fta channels in the future. If you search ses astra launches new satellites on google you will see that there is much discussion on the future of ex pat tv already given the new satellites technological capabilities to present even narrower spotbeams!!!

It's nice to know we live in a united Europe and the UK is abiding by the new borderless legislation

Agreed. I reckon BBC and ITV will only be attainable online in 2 years, unless your prepared to buy a 3m plus dish!!!

Anyone know how much bigger we are talking about for sattelite dishes. I had thought about going Freesat later this year but may not if it needs Joderell Bank on the rooftop. The current 80cm's are quite acceptable, but > 1 metre???

Wait and see. It is a few years off yet and to cover the whole of the UK the footprint will still overlap into mainland Europe to some degree - only time will tell. Who knows, in 2-4 years German DVB-C, DVB-T and DVB-S will be delivered in German and English, so you can watch and join in with the singalongs at the Fasching parties shown on WDR no problem.

I really would not worry too much at this time. The specifications of the new satellites have not even been announced in detail so the exact footprints are not determinable. The biggest issue is that all the UK viewers have the tiniest dish allowable with the current signal. They must still get enough signal to receive on these small dishes even with the new satellites. That means there is little margin for error. When Astra2D went up the signal was initially so low/tight that many viewers has problems and there as a lot of tweaking done to bring it up to scratch. Remember too that the calculated specifications often bear no relation to reality. Even now the official Astra footprints point to a dish size of 120cm or larger for the Munich area, but we all know that if the correct dish is used, and installed and cabled correctly, then 85cm or even in some cases smaller is perfectly acceptable. Some of the older satellites are dying and must be replaced. Most of these currently transmit the encrypted Sky signal. The replacement satellites will take over transmission of this signal - while Sky would never admit it openly, the would certainly not want to instantly cut off their source of expatriate revenue (estimated at over 100,000 subscriptions, most in the higher tier, representing a revenue (without additional cost, so therefore gross profit) of £5 million a month!). Worst case is likely that those who are not currently receiving BBC/ITV channels because they don't want the larger dish would simply lose their signals. Those still watching these free channels are less likely to be affected. On the upside the restricted beams will open up space for more FTA services, in particular HD variants who are held off at the moment because they can't easily restrict their FTA viewing across the continent.

In short, wait until the facts are known (which may even be when the satellites are up in the sky), but don't worry too much. Or move to TVoIP services.

I just wanted to let people know that this is going to happen, before they fork out hard earned cash on a system they may not realise could be redundant in a few years. The polish spotbeam Astra 1kr is one of the latest models launched and reports suggest that even in Berlin it is difficult to receive on a 1.2m dish and in Vienna a 3.5m dish is necessary. The new spotbeam will be at least as tight as the polish one. My personal belief is that BBC and ITV programme providers are more worried about Spain,France and the Canaries receiving these FTA channels anyway and frequency reuse could be targeted here and Germany may be spared frequency reuse.I personally hope that SKY Germany may start showing BBC and ITV as part of their platform. I have already written to SKy Germany suggesting that they could have a better customer base if they offered these 2 channels. There are after all some 150,000 British ex pats in Germany.