Astra 2D and BBC/ITV reception in Germany

153 posts in this topic

Well, I get asked so Often what size dish do I need for BBC etc in Dresden, Berlin,Insbruck,Darmstadt etc and it has occured to me that there is so much poor info out there.

So, I will start

I know Astra 2d in...

Munich/ Munich West we need a 90cm Dish.

Rosenheim... 1m dish is minimum

Salzburg we need 1.25m

Passau/ cz border 1.25m

Frankfurt 75cm

Stutgart.. 75cm

Geneva 65cm

Please cut and Paste this list and add your location and tell us on what size dish you get the BBC/ITV

Many thanks

BavSat

Salzburg we need 1.25m

Passau/ cz border 1.25m

Frankfurt 75cm

Stutgart.. 75cm

Geneva 65cm

Heidelberg 67cm (Triax TD64) Signal strength & quality around 70% (No rain fade)

There's a very useful list here of observation reports for Astra2D reception Germany as well as a coverage map built from user experience here. Remember that observational experience is useful for "worst case" scenarios as the minimum size will depend on the equipment used and how well it is installed. The former link gives more detail on dish, receiver and LNB type which are equally relevant to quality and reliability of reception.

According to that map you need a 100cm dish to get the BBC around Munich, which is not the case, a 90cm is sufficient. I presume that Bavaria Satellite are looking for actual real life experience, rather than some map plucked off the internet.

According to that list there is someone in munich who uses a 100 cm dish, but who knows what dish size is sufficient. I use a 85 cm dish, I can only post that a 85 cm dish works well in Paderborn. Would a smaller size be enough? I guess so. How much smaller? I wouldn't know.

That's really my point. Observational reports only tell you what has been shown to work and not necessarilly the minimum required. It's not just dish size either as so many other factors need to be taken into account for optimum reception (dish make and quality, LNB, cabling, receiver and possibly most importantly skill of the installer). SES, the satellite operator who launch and manage the Astra satellites are so conservative on this topic that Munich is outside even the 120cm dish-size band. 90cm (or even smaller in some circumstances) is fine for Munich area and if size is important (!) then that's the best to go for, but a larger dish certainly won't hurt and gives more reliable reception in poor weather conditions.

Just wanted to get some clarification on BBC services.

Are they rebroadcast over Sky and if so would this mean I could get by with using a smaller dish? I live in Dresden and would need an pretty large dish for these channels but was advised that I would not need as large for other channels off the same satelite. Also does it matter dish size for HDTV?

Thanks,

Along the Dutch border a 60 cm dish might be enough. I have installed antennas in Düsseldorf at this quite sufficient size. (So it would be ok for campers) But there is no reserve for bad weather. And some not so powerful transponders were easily dropping out. So usually you have to change for a 80 cm one - but this will then be ok all over the Ruhrgebiet.

There's one more list of channels here !

By the way: I am going to Dresden at the end of May and will also do some tests there. I will post the results here later on.

SP wanted us to copy and paste!

Salzburg we need 1.25m

Passau/ cz border 1.25m

Frankfurt 75cm

Stutgart.. 75cm

Geneva 65cm

Hamburg (NE) 80cm

Klein Meckelsen/Sittensen, midway between HB and HH 75cm

Salzburg we need 1.25m

Passau/ cz border 1.25m

Frankfurt 75cm

Stutgart.. 75cm

Geneva 65cm

Hamburg (NE) 80cm

Klein Meckelsen/Sittensen, midway between HB and HH 75cm

Reinbek (SE) of HH 80

What about different quality of dishes.

Does it make that much of a difference. I see Technosat, Katherein are more expensive but can they receive better?

I would pay more for a better dish if it really did make a difference in size.

... By the way: I am going to Dresden at the end of May and will also do some tests there. I will post the results here later on.

So, itv5, what results did you obtain?

Hi,

Please could you tell me what size dish i need to get BBC East of Munich I am in Eggenfelden.

Thanks

TJ

Another report, since noone else posted from this area:

Koblenz (50.34 N, 7.6E)

good reception on all Astra2D (BBC/ITV) on 45cm digidish with multytenne (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000KPWH4M/).

Hi,

Please could you tell me what size dish i need to get BBC East of Munich I am in Eggenfelden.

Thanks

TJ

1m, Minimum!

SP

Mornin folks, anyone else have a complete signal loss in 2d last night? all other channels fine except beeb and itv, back this morning though?

were fine for me during the evening :-)