Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What type of Uni degree do you have?

What type of Uni degree do you have?   264 votes

1. 1. What type of Uni degree do you have?

• Creative Arts
    • Humanities / Social Sciences
    • Commerce / Business
    • Science
    • Law
    • Engineering
    • Education
    • Medicine
    • Theology
    • Other (Please Specify)
    • No degree

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

160 posts in this topic

Julia, seems to me you've wasted your time. Should have gone to a British Uni, masters by 23 (average) and PhD by 26 at the latest (unless you're really struggling) ... Oh well...

regarding engineering degrees is it a big advantage to have an MEng than a BEng? I have an opinion on it from things I've read but would be interested to know what working engineers think or have experiences of.

I'm of the notion now that a decent work experience and a BEng could get you further than MEng ohne experience, at least initially.

Cheers

I have a MEng in Electronics and Electrical Engineering with Business Studies, I regretted it in my final year as 5 years is waaaayyy to long for one degree. It got me about an extra grand's pay when I started working in Scotland and that's it. I had done 2 internships which prospective employers were much more impressed about than the Masters bit. Another problem is that outside the UK nobody has ever heard of an MEng in my experience. That said it didn't do me any harm and I started uni the year before the grant was abolished so financially I wasn't any worse off. These days it the extra cost would probably outweigh any benefit. Now 5 years down the line experience wise I doubt it would get me much further than a BEng, now it's the experience that counts.

But how many of us actually use any of the degrees we have. I don't, how about you lot?

I got a BA in German. :rolleyes: How much more useless can you get? But it has proven to be a bonus point when I`ve applied for other jobs here. When we were at university somebody in my lecture once asked our professor about the graduate level programs for German. The professor just looked at him and said, "Do you have any idea how many cab drivers have PhDs?" That was the end of that discussion. :unsure:

BSc(Hons) Management Studies.

was worth it just for the uni 'experience' :D

although in germany completely useless. About 4 years ago i stupidly went to the Arbeitsamt with my certificates, the guy looked at them, looked back at me and asked me if i had considered doing 'Abitur' ... that was my first and last visit there!! <_<

BSc (Hons) from the Open University.

Left school at 18 with A-levels in French and German, but didn't see any point in studying languages at Uni. Didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, so took a bit of time out to try living in Germany and France. Learned to type and got an office job in Munich. Often wondered what I had missed by not going to Uni, and thought about going back to UK as a mature student, but never did it. Then in the 1990's the OU made their courses available to all EU residents, so at the tender age of 38 I grabbed my chance and spent a gruelling 6 years getting my head round pure and applied maths and computer science while doing a full-time job. I'm still in the same job I was in before I started, cos I'm doing quite nicely there, thank you, but I don't regret the effort I put into getting my degree. I did it just for myself, just to prove to myself that I could do it. But now, at 51, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :(

Sometimes I wonder how things would have turned out if I'd taken science A-levels instead of languages. I might have gone to Uni, been too immature and disorganised and lacking in confidence to study properly, would have got at best a mediocre science degree and spent the rest of my life in some dull, poorly-paid job in the UK. Or maybe working at the checkout at Sainsbury's. I hear a lot of graduates end up there.

i graduated from the uni of hard cocks that think they had loads of hard knocks...I mean how unoriginal can ya get?...oh yeah sorry...university of life...gimmeabreak...

(and yes, i do use my degree, even though what i learnt while doing it is useless, the paper thing has helped...)

I got thrown out for shaggin' a bird over the Principle's desk. Some people have no sense of adventure. :(

Julia, seems to me you've wasted your time. Should have gone to a British Uni, masters by 23 (average) and PhD by 26 at the latest (unless you're really struggling) ... Oh well...

:lol: Good joke.

You know how it is... either you have money, or if not, at least you have time. Well, I had more time than money... traded time for money...

Hmm, and the British Council was not throwing out scholarships in masses, just like that, and just to anybody, at home...

There are many who speak excellent English in my generation, many of them finish in bilingual or pure English language highschools, some do that from grammar school or kindergarden - and I was not born in the capital, by the way. (thank God..)

Well, yes, the Germans were more generous...

i can't find the option for "10 Masters degrees and a Doctorate in the field of I am so fucking brilliant I have to broadcast it across cyber space for all to see".

They give you degrees??

Does a bollocking count?

That's funny... I like sheep, and goats, too! I can actually talk sheepish and goatish, too!

Do you know how?

My first "job", at the age of 6-10 was to be the assistant of the sheperd in my grandmom's village.

I had the task of collecting all sheep and goats from our street as early as 6 o'clock in the morning, every single day (summer vacation) and guide and attach them to the main herd... sweet childhood memories... :)