Woman invades polar bear enclosure at Berlin Zoo

86 posts in this topic

Why didn't they just leave her in there? Free meal for the bear and it would also have stopped this stupid bitch from ever breeding again and introducing offspring to the world

maybe if they had tranquilized the lady, it would have been easier to pull her fat ass out of the moat.

Hardly, I'd doubt they have that much tranq in their darts. Maybe if they hit twice.

Knut fan, but I hope that you all are just ranting about not shooting a bear to save a woman. Yes, the zoo would have to spend thousands on new bears and so on, but hopefully you aren't doing too many cost benefit analyses on fellow human beings? She was a mother and a school teacher with, hopefully, a passing mental illness. Yes, this is TT I am addressing, I know, but aren't you guys glad that you aren't in charge? What if your nearest and dearest went mental after giving birth, etc. No, I don't want to look at the replies here. I DO know this is TT. I just hope you guys are glad that you aren't hugely represented in the general population, imo.

That post surely deserves some kind of prize. White fleece for self righteous puritan git of the week? God I'm glad you don't work at the zoo.

funf, sorry but... god forbid a woman like that ever teaches my offspring. I don't think people with mental illness are good role models for kids.

And really... is her life that much more important than a family of polar bears? I am no animal rights fanatic, but I mean come on... it's bad enough that we round them up and put them in zoos, then just to shoot them because some nutcase in need of attention decides to go on a suicidal swim with them? Nope... she chose to jump in there, she can face the consequences [without zookeepers having to kill the bears].

i couldnt agree more with you there i dont want mentaly ill people teaching anyones kids ( i dont have any ) and i think she should suffered more for her actions too you cant expect to go for a swim with polar bears and not get worse injuries than a bit bum she is so lucky not to be dead the dumb eejit ( or twat )

I don't care what she suffered from, people had to risk their lives to save her. She is a stupid cow.

What are they supposed to do, shoot all the animals of the off chance she comes back - what next,pop into the lion enclosure?

@funf - I think as far as not shooting the bear you may find that a lot of people over in the general populace would agree the bear should not have been shot.

The zoo is already pissed off at her for making them look bad. I think they would have had to shoot the bear not only to save the woman but for PR. As much as they may care more for the bears than for the woman, if a visitor (as much of a dumbfuck as she may have been) gets killed by animals, that destroys your reputation.

While this woman was sicker than most, I daresay that if you say no one who is mentally ill should be teaching, you'd have a severe lack of teachers. "Mental illness" includes anyone who has been depressed, which in this day and age is not as uncommon as you may think.

Hmm, this post reminds me of what happened back in the Singapore Zoo just a few months back, where a guy jumped into the White Tiger Enclosure with a pail to cover his head while the Tigers mauled him to death. Well he was suicidal, probably not so for this lady who wanted to swim with the bears. Scary thing was, the mauling was actually filmed by the tourists who happened to be there with video cameras. On a positive note, the tigers were not killed...

funf. Ever thought of becoming a zookeeper? You could have jumped in after her to try and save the poor, selfish bitch.

Knut fan, but I hope that you all are just ranting about not shooting a bear to save a woman. Yes, the zoo would have to spend thousands on new bears and so on, but hopefully you aren't doing too many cost benefit analyses on fellow human beings?

On this logic, if your neighbour had just spent $2000 on vets fees to save his beloved dog after being run over by a car, you'de ask him how could he waste so much money on a dog when the money could have been used to save 100s of starving children in Africa. Oh and we should eliminate wild elephants in India because they're attacking villagers who are destroying their forests for farmland.

After reading this and seeing the appalling Human Rights issues in Saudi Arabia, floggins, stonings and beheadings etc. etc. I am surprised that they don't have daily 'throwing of criminals' into the Tigers enclosure at any of the Saudi zoos...imagine the queues for the afternoon matinee.

The guy was actually a cleaner who fell into the moat and then was pounced on. He put the bucket over his head as protection. I think I am going to be ill.

Just saw a video of the tiger mauling and it turned my stomach.

Come on Ruthie...we expect a link so we can feast our eyes on a bloody good mauling.