Are intelligent people happier?

64 posts in this topic

A friend of mine insists smart people are generally more content with their lot in life. I'm not so sure; there are plenty of miserable geniuses out there...

Who knows?

Interesting, 53 views so far, and only 3 replies...

Dumb and happy is the norm. Fat, dumb, and happy for the 'mericans. Oh yeah, forgot poor, too! ;)

Fat, dumb, and happy for the 'mericans.

You forgot 'gun-toting'. ;)

The more intelligent a person is, the more complex their thoughts, the more wrong they see in the world, the more they realise they do not know, the more they ponder existential questions.

The simpler the person, the less they need to be satisfied.

An intelligent person would know that is because nobody gives a monkeys about this thread.

Strange comment, considering you were the first person to respond to it.

Are intelligent people happier?

Off course we are happier. I hope that answers your question.

Ignorance is bliss, I wish I could fool myself into believing in magical afterlives and meanings of life - would make reality less depressing.

I think average people are happier - anybody with a less than average IQ will suffer - they'll be duped, abused and/or ignored; anybody with a higher than average I.Q. will suffer -they'll feel extremely isolated and lonely as they can find precious few who understand them

btw- when I say 'average', I mean it in a broad sense - i.e. IQ score 90 - 150

Dumb people don't know they are dumb and that is why they are happier. Intelligent people would be much happier if it were allowed to point out how dumb dumb people are and give them a smack up side the head for being dumb. Actually forget that, just smacking them would make me happier!!!

25% are below 90.

So around 74% of us must be happy!!!

(assuming I sneak above the 90 limit - otherwise 74% of YOU must be happy, and I'm in the "so-thick-I-dont-realise-Im-unhappy group)

It depends on what your definition of happiness is?! Feeling content and comfortable in your situation? Well, then dumb=happier. The less you have to compare to, the less you seek change, the less you know about injustices in the world, the happier you can be with your own life. Intelligent people are quite often seeking to become more intelligent and are not content unless they feel they have a grasp on everything, understand everything, know everything etc... and this is never the case. So they struggle always wanting more...

As an ex-pat, not unhappy, but never quite feeling like I have found what there is to be found, I have often been very jealous of some small town Americans who grow up in their little town, marry jimmy Bob next door, and have three little rug-rats running around the yard. They have never left their little Dorf and see no reason to. They have what they need and are just content. Sounds kind of nice on one hand...

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential”, great words said by Winston Churchill...its all about how you perceive your intelligence...in the end a degree is just a piece of paper...I have seen average people successful and happy...I guess their hard work and street smarts helped!!

I don't put much stock in IQ test either which is why I said average is between 90 and 150. It's not too hard to find a person at either end of that scale