Outdoor lighting - do solar lights really work?

47 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with outdoor solar lighting? Does it give off much light? I'm asking because I've seen solar lights before and they don't seem to produce much light.

I am trying to be both green and economical by investing in solar lighting (plus you don't have the hassle of outdoor plugs) but am not so convinced that they would emit enough light.

We currently have no lighting outside.

post-750-1238082623.jpg

The ones I've seen are a bit rubbish, but then again, they were in a garden that was north facing, and got little sun. More like candles than torches if you like.

I've got a couple similar to the ones in your photo in my garden and really they're just decorative, they don't give of enough light read by. They've only got a couple of rechargable AA bateries in them so it's not really surprising and if it isn't very sunny for a while they don't charge up properly.

We bought 8 of these last year for my partners mum to light the way to the firewood store in her back garden and they do the job, they dont give off too much light but enough to see the path and where your feet are going, she´s happy we bought them for her. We bought them at the Bauhaus in Biesdorf Berlin think it was €20 for the 2pkts of 4.

One corner of my U.S. garden (redwood deck) at dusk, all electric. ;) I recommend "uplighting" into trees; the effect is pretty cool.

post-33917-1238083348_thumb.jpg

We have two, and they really are vey dim. I'll be getting a proper motion sensor light that is hard wired soon. I'm tired of stumbling up to my front door in the dark before I can manually turn on the outside door light. But for a romantic drink after dark on the terrace in summer they'll be fine.

thanks, UA. Our lights are made of copper, so they age gracefully, as well. I ache for my garden. Apologies to the Don if that's too poetic/ gay. ;)

I considered solar, but the contractor talked me out of it. For entertaining purposes (read: BBQ/ drunk fests on that deck), electric is better. Solar would have been too dim. The brighter lighting seen on the deck is coming from a huge arbor overhead with my Cecile Brunner roses growing over it. sigh.

Ok, I'll stop now. Gardening is a huge hobby for me that I have been sorely missing. :)

I really hate the solar lights my neighbour has in his garden. Their dull light looks depressing and unromantic, but maybe it is just because they are the cheap and crappy ones.

Mlovett - no wonder you can't wait to get back home. Your garden is absolutely beautiful.

Mlovett - no wonder you can't wait to get back home. Your garden is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for understanding. :) I have a "garden magazine" garden... years of dreaming, practicing and designing (myself), and finally got it just how I wanted, only ONE month before we left. That was a mistake... (that contractor had a year waiting list, and our time was up!) I went into a tailspin because I then no longer wanted to leave for Europe. It's still in decent shape because we have a professional gardener partially taking care of it; can't trust renters. Wanna see pictures of the big side? ;)

OK... had to dig up some old pics. Here is the main flower bed, just after planting (my bench in background, with lighting!).

post-33917-1238363209_thumb.jpg

pic from a few weeks ago... can see that we "fixed" fence color, and plants are big now!

post-33917-1238363559_thumb.jpg

Surveying my kingdom... copper lights (electric, on timer) can be seen here.

post-33917-1238363801.jpg