Flowers as a wedding gift

20 posts in this topic

Title says it all. Wedding is in the US if that matters at all and the bride is a business contact rather than a relative or personal friend. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would do a mixed white, or pastel bouquet. Lilies are really beautiful and look great in mixed bouquets.

White roses would be pretty but a bit too personal I would think.

Yeah, I thought lilies were for funerals? I wouldn't send those... I second the cheerful colors.

Send whatever you fancy, as I'm guessing they are being sent to her office or home, they aren't going to clash with anything related to the wedding.

I had white lilies in my wedding bouquet?!?

liles apparently stand for purity hence their traditional association with weddings. Nearly all women like them and they smell beautiful so they seem like a safe bet

"As the flowers most often associated with funerals, lilies symbolize that the soul of the departed has received restored innocence after death." Source.

In Germany, carnations are often seen as the typical funeral flower.

Friend of mine had a single white lily in a big glass bowl up at the altar at her wedding in memory of her brother who'd died earlier that year.

Tiger lilies or daylilies are probably not associated with funerals though? UA's link has what looks like a daylily to me, not the jack-in-the-pulpit type that I think of as the funeral white lily.

white lilies symbolize chastity and virtue – and were the symbol of the Virgin Mary’s purity and her role of Queen of the Angels

from your own source UA. I'm not going to argue about the 'meaning' of lilies - clearly they're appropriate for both weddings and funerals

Yes, then read on.. "restored innocence after death". I am not saying that they do not symbolise innocence/chastity/virtue. Some readers here did not know the significance of lilies at funerals so I posted some info about the meaning behind it. Who is the one arguing here?

My own personal opinion is that white scented lilies are gorgeous, as are roses of any colour, even carnations. I like most flowers. I am not one to shy away from doing something just because society or traditional customs dictate otherwise. One should, however, be aware of possible repercussions.

Who is the one arguing here?

I didn't mean to imply that you are arguing - I wanted to say 'this is not worth arguing over so please don't read my post as continuing/starting an argument on this'.

We seem to be in agreement. Let's leave it at that. :)

The one thing I'd make sure is that the flowers have either a vase or other way to stay watered.

If they are being delivered on the wedding day itself (or even the day before), the last thing the bride or groom will want to do is arrange flowers.

The choice sounds lovely in any case.

EDIT: But be careful of lilies as the pollen can stain easily - a spoilt wedding dress would be a disaster.

why not get them a gift online of flowers being delivered for the next 6 months. they recieve diff. flowers every month.

another option is send them the flowers in season for the month of the wedding. usually people love that. what flower is for what month?? you can find it on line.

april are tulips

may and june roses in pastel

that can help ya.

Sent a mixed bouquet of flowers to her place. Thanks once again for all of the advice provided.