Making friends in Germany

151 posts in this topic

I never thought that I would go thru...but its not easy to make friends in this area. I moved from the states here and have found that people are not so friendly when you come from another place.

i miss home..New York is crazy but people are more willing to talk. :(

She is not exactly alone:

... i just got married

You just joined - have you gone through the many threads (SEARCH) where the subjects of learning the language & various activities here have been discussed at length... If you sports of have some hobbies thats a good way to make friends.

It worked for me - I got involved with a local flying club, learnt the language, learnt how to fly gliders, made many friends & 28 years on I'm still involved...

yea i did go to learn german but the whole class was turkish and sadly the teacher spent so much time putting down americans and treating the other like we are all idiots..so i left the class.

i have to search and see what there is in this area..but honeslty even the paperwork here and asking information has been very difficult. i guess this happens when one country thinks its superior than another. i have learned my lesson. i will be more careful with those who come from a different place.

Great teacher... must be a member of TT. :rolleyes:

I does get easier as you learn to speak German better. You are vile simply by virtue of being American. Try to get used to it, life will also get easier when you can accept this. ;)

Just to be clear - I learnt the lingo not by going to formal classes but by getting involved in an activity outside of work where no-one (except one - he who got me involved there) knew me and no-one spoke English (or let on that they did). Many of these people are still friends - one was the witness at our wedding several years later (& I at his)...

i hope so...im learning at home and lets see. but honestly im ready to pack and leave...but have to give this a chance...

yea i did go to learn german but the whole class was turkish and sadly the teacher spent so much time putting down americans and treating the other like we are all idiots..so i left the class.

i have to search and see what there is in this area..but honeslty even the paperwork here and asking information has been very difficult. i guess this happens when one country thinks its superior than another. i have learned my lesson. i will be more careful with those who come from a different place.

Just to be clear - I learnt the lingo not by going to formal classes but by getting involved in an activity outside of work where no-one (except one - he who got me involved there) knew me and no-one spoke English (or let on that they did). Many of these people are still friends - one was the witness at our wedding several years later (& I at his)...

mari0228 It seems that you are taking things rather personal. Things do get easier as time goes on and you can learn the language without taking formal classes. You might be surprised at how many are willing to help.

its not easy mario especially since you are coming from a not so cosmopolitan state like coburg, Beliners, Hmbugers, Munichers, Frankfuters,lol find it easier. But dont give up! over something like this

As adviced earlier join a club, gym or maybE you can post on *TT anyone living in coburg area-meetup* then you might meet english speaking TT guys, then get introduced to their German friends and your network will grow:-)

yes your right ofcourse im taking it personal..it is about what occurred to me. actually in the class from 16 were left with 7 other than that i have to learn and give this more time...i hope its the language and not the people. thanks for your reply.

thanks im so glad you guys are answering...feelin much better. gosh i hope that eventually i find a nice friend in the area. :unsure:

HEM's idea is the way to go. Also getting a dog. Dog owners love to talk to each other about their dogs when you meet them on the path or whatnot. I met lots of people that way in my town and I'm friends with some I've met. Seems this is an ice breaker for a lot of people. Germany is the land of clubs so you should be able to find something that interests you once you get some basic German down.

hey thats an idea...i love pets...i will look around for a club lets see. this is so weird to me and all new. even when you go to the stores its a challenge..got to learn this language and hopefully this changes.

Hey mari, I had a similar experience in another country, that if I name, makes others here break out in rashes. ;-) However, sad to say, you aren't going to get that Anglo friendliness on the Continent. It takes FOREVER for people to give you the time of day. For one, they think that you aren't putting down roots, so they wonder why they should make the effort. That said, having a pet you take for a walk helps. If you are really desperate for some effort from the locals, pretend that you ARE a tourist. They will be nice if they think they will make a sale. Deceptive, but sometimes helps if you just want some friendliness thrown in your direction. It can take awhile, and take having a thick skin, before you find folks willing to give you the time of day, if you are on your own. So, yes, join some groups! And...Spring will come, which will help to make the locals more friendly. Inquire about someone's football team or the like...you just have to keep trying, even when it feels sucky. Good luck!

You can check out the animal shelter and see if you can be a foster owner for a week or two to see if it suites you. Some people get dogs and then realize its not for them. Not fair for the dog as IMO they like a stable pack.