German import tax on items bought outside Germany

33 posts in this topic

Claiming an item as a gift only increases the $$$ amount you can import before tax is added, and it only goes up to about $40 or something like that.

Next time have your mom insure it through U-pic and then put a lower price on the customs form. U-pic doesn't care what the customs form says, or so I hear on the Ebay boards...

If you'd bought taht $150 golf club here, you'd have actually paid $174 ($150+16% VAT) but you probably would not have thought about it because the VAT is hidden in the invoice

I would never buy that $150 golf club here - it would cost me 300€. The difference in cost is amazing!!

And it makes me crazy because the rules seem inconsistent.

do you pay duty tax (zoll) on things you buy from china and Hong Kong from ebay?Do <o have to go to the post office for them? is it expensive? i only have to buy things less than 10 euros

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

According to the following you only have to pay for wares >= 22 Euros.

http://www.helpster.de/zoll-fuer-waren-aus-china-darauf-sollten-sie-bei-bestellungen-achten_102165#anleitung

Opening this topic again...is there a way to legally import things from outside EU, such as order them online and pay the import VAT, without having to go to that godforsaken place in Schöneberg where they make you wait for hours and treat you like a criminal? I want to legally import a camera and need to order it online - they just don't sell this stuff in EU. I am fine with paying the tax and can't mark it as a gift or get someone to mule it. Is there a way to do this without spending half my day in that awful waiting room? I also want to import multiple things so I am not going there three times in one week...

thanks for any help!

or should it be in the vent thread ?

Timing belt not available from the manufacturers in europe -- they suggest the replacement belt from USA...

Timing belt  $18 .. .so I ordered 2  = $ 36

UPS                                                   $ 66

UPS knock at the door just now and want a further € 30

based on € 17 import tax and their own brokerage €10 + €2 MwSt.)

That looks like almost 50% import tax to me

So  €123 for 2 belts (albeit delivered within one week) 

How does it go again ?

... sailing is the most expensive way of getting cold and wet by attempting to move from A to B....

May I correct you:

Yachting is like standing in a cold shower and tearing up 100€ bills.

You got want you wanted. No complaints please.

Actually, I am a bit miffed that UPS actually charge me for deducting the German tax. (Brokeragezuschlag)

But you're right - I got what I ordered.

Just a warning post for anyone still thinking they can order from outside the EU and expect to pay only what was on the bill.

What if you have an EU VAT ID? Usually I wouldn't pay VAT on goods bought from another EU state, but how does it work when buying from outside the EU and then getting hit with VAT charges by customs?

2 hours ago, Alex Leonard said:

What if you have an EU VAT ID? Usually I wouldn't pay VAT on goods bought from another EU state, but how does it work when buying from outside the EU and then getting hit with VAT charges by customs?

Does not matter, if you indeed have it, you can claim it later. Local legislation might make you pay upfront, though.

Might need to import something from Canada.   Unless someone here has some spare Bauer skate blades size 15.  Not available here anymore is what we are told.  So, have found some in Canada but they do not ship to EU.  So a friend would have to post them.  Value is about 75 to 100 euros.  What is best way to do this?  Is there a prepaid/zoll way of doing it?  Not trying to avoid any tax. 

If you want to be skating before the ice melts in the spring get your friend to send them asap with value declared, then wait for the notice from the Zoll. If your experience is anything like mine you'll receive a bill in the mail with instructions to go down to an inconveniently located office to pay it and then you can pick up your item. 

2 hours ago, silty1 said:

If you want to be skating before the ice melts in the spring get your friend to send them asap with value declared, then wait for the notice from the Zoll. If your experience is anything like mine you'll receive a bill in the mail with instructions to go down to an inconveniently located office to pay it and then you can pick up your item. 

Ta.  Bloody nuisance though.  Huge teenager, huge feet, huge skates cost huge amount.  Then blade damaged.  "Sorry those blades not made any more".  The skates cost over 300 euros.  Anyway found some replacements in Canada for about 100 euros.  His feet seem to have stopped growing.  Size 50 is enough I hope.