Life in the town of Duisburg

39 posts in this topic

Has anyone been to Duisburg?

Whats it like to live in?

What are the best places?

What is the rent like?

I've just moved to Duisburg!

From what I've seen, it seems to be a fairly good place to live... my rent is reasonable (I pay Pauschalmiete though) and the shopping is pretty good. It's not the most beautiful corner of Germany, but it's not bad either. It's a quiet city - not much seems to happen, mind you, as I said earlier, I've only just moved here!

I lived there in 2001 and 2002 in two different parts of the city. First of all I lived in Neumühl in the north of Duisburg quite far from the centre. I didn't really enjoy living in that area as it was quite rundown and dull. Then I moved to Neudorf which is to the east of the city centre and I enjoyed living there. This was quite a pleasant place to live with good local shops, supermarkets and a nice atmosphere. I think that generally the south of the city is nicer than the north, although Hochfeld and Rheinhausen leave a lot to be desired. I agree totally with the previous comment that Duisburg has good shopping facilities. I recently visited the new Forum shopping centre and was very impressed. The Innenhafen area is now a very nice regenerated waterfront. I found it wasn't the best city for nightlife but Düsseldorf is only 15 minutes away on the train.

As for rents try these websites:

http://www.mwz-duisburg.de/ (has English search option)

http://nrw.immowelt.de/Immobilien/ImmoSuch...?GeoID=10805112

If you just want a small place then €400 a month should find you a nice flat in a good area.

All the best

So do I!

I should have mentioned that I live in the Neudorf area, and, as MJW said, it is a really nice area- good small local shops, supermarkets and the city centre is only a 15min walk away, plus the zoo is only around the corner. I work in the north in the steel plant and I can see that it's not such a pleasant area up there. I still need to visit the Innenhafen though, but I've heard it's really nice.

Hi, I've recently moved to Duisburg myself! (Homberg, north-west ish I guess you could say) I'm a student at Nottingham University and am spending my time being an English-language assistant at the Franz Haniel Gymnasium. This part isn't too bad, a little run-down I suppose, but like the previous posters I was really impressed by Koenigsstrasse when I first encountered that!

James

Hi, I've recently moved to Duisburg myself! (Homberg, north-west ish I guess you could say) I'm a student at Nottingham University and am spending my time being an English-language assistant at the Franz Haniel Gymnasium. This part isn't too bad, a little run-down I suppose, but like the previous posters I was really impressed by Koenigsstrasse when I first encountered that!James

Hiya! I actually work in Homberg (in the TyssenKrupp steel mill) which is definitely not Duisburg's best side! The city centre and around Dellviertel are much more interesting, and Innenhafen is great for a chilled-out evening.

Let me know if you want to meet up for coffee.

I currently work in 'downtown' Duisburg but don't live here. I can say that the city is certainly working hard to restore it's image. There are 2 new shopping centers that have recently opened in the city's Fussgangerzone and further work is going on to cleanup the area in front of the train station.

Coffee would be nice! I have a fairly relaxed schedule :) Don't know, maybe things are more intense at the steel mill? Yes I was definitely pleasantly surprised by the city centre, and Innenhafen does sound appealing in a lot of ways. Not least smart bars!

As trainblog said, Duisburg seems to be in the middle of a lot of change.

Well, feel free to PM me if you want to meet up. Can't do Mondays I'm afraid as I'm at the VHS having belly-dancing lessons :D

I lived in Duisburg for a couple of years and may be moving back. I live in Duissern just across the railway tracks and it is a nicer part of the town. It's fun to see a lot of 'Duisburg' on TT. I am here for the next 10 days, lets meet up. If i get a couple of responses, I will post a separate meet up thread.

Well i never knew that so many Brits lived in Duisburg :huh: . I myself live in Duisburg Trompet, which is a very quiet place next to the Toppersee. Duisburg itself is quite a dump to be truthful, with a lot of places i.e. Marxloh / Hochfeld / Neumühl / Beeckerwerth, that are very run down. On a good note, there are a lot of very nice parts in Duisburg,i can recommend Bergheim or Trompet. It seems like they are trying to loose there industrial town image and have started to revamp some parts of the town very nicely.

I work in Rheinhausen for a very large Logistics Company.

it would be nice to meet up with a few native speakers.

I found the Duiburgers very friendly (esp towards kids) when i lived in Unglesheim many years ago, unlike Dusseldorfers and Berliners who have no time or patience for anything other than themselves, speaking broadly that is.

Hello,

I'm also in Duisburg Duissern. I've been living here for a little over a year now. I work in Duesseldorf and commute everyday. I would love to join any Duisburg meet up, if anything gets planned.

Amanda

Dear friends,

Until the mid-1990s, Duisburg (as well as Mülheim an der Ruhr) had a British Garrison - Glamorgan Barracks in Duisburg and Wrexham Barracks in Mülheim. A number of the soldiers and their (German) wives just stayed in this area. Duisburg/Essen University has students from the UK, the two "Max-Planck-Institutes" in Mülheim have English-speaking scientists from all over the world.

My (English) wife always enjoys visiting both Duisburg and Essen. We find Duisburg even more interesting. Duisburg-Ruhrort (where the Ruhr meets the Rhine) is a very interesting and picturesque suburb. They have a radio museum. (Unfortunately, so far, I've never been able to visit the museum).

Depending on where you live in the town, Duisburg can be very attractive!

(... says someone who, 25 years ago, moved to the center of Mülheim - in 1967 he uttered the famous words, "Never in my life will I ever go to Mülheim again!" - after compeletely getting lost in the town's damned one-way street system ...)

I have just moved to Duisburg from Canada. My rent is 416 Euros for a one bedroom apartment. Although Germans seem to count all the rooms so I guess they would consider it a 3 room apparent as I have a kitchen and a living room. One different thing is that I also have to pay 17,68 Euros for someone to clean the common areas separate from my rent. Germans seem to like really long rental contracts so I was lucky to get a place with no lease. Although you do need to give 3 months notice to leave. Also German places don't come with fridges, stoves and all of that...so you can either buy all that or make and arrangement to buy out the kitchen appliances from the person living there now. I was lucky I moved into a friend's old place so I bought out his kitchen and washing machine.

Hello I just moved to Duisburg from Canada and would enjoy a meet up. I can meet up any day but Tues, as that is when my German lessons are.

Hi guys!

would definitely be keen for a Duisburger's meetup :) anyone got any ideas as to where?

I'm now comfortably settled, also in Neudorf. Loving it!