How to enter the American Consulate in Frankfurt

61 posts in this topic

I don't know, as soon as I saw this first post I thought, why in the world would anyone go to the consulate to get photos taken? Are you a masochist? There is always a HUGE line outside, you have to know you need to go through security, similar to the airport. Why would you go through that hassle if you didn't have to? The whole thing makes no sense at all. There ARE signs out front that say exactly what you cannot bring inside, so why try and get around whatever rules are in place.

The Ponds guards are just doing their jobs and if you stood there and listened to all the crap they have to take from people day after day, it is amazing that they stay as pleasant as they are.

You remind me of those people that show up at security at the airport and are oh, so surprised they cannot bring their bottle of whatever through security and that they have to take off their shoes and big Western belt. I sometimes think you all live in a cave somewhere and never read the news or watch tv.

Crikey, easy everybody. I'm being villified here.

Septon, I am not actually English so no-one gets shot in the underground were I'm from. Plus, I never said that the security guy was American (he was German), nor was I inferring anything about gun crime in America!

I was not being difficult with the security people, in fact, the very last thing I said to the security lady was a polite and sincere "thank you" as I could see that she thought the situation was ridiculous as well.

Moondancer, there was no queue outside the consulate (but there was at the kiosk funnily enough), I guess everyone else had given up and gone home. And, I would say that the security guy was anything but pleasant. You are correct though: I don't read the news (well apart from the odd catch-up on the Guardian), nor do I have a TV, I gave up ages ago as it was all doom, gloom and scaremongering (or sometimes it is pink fluffy news about a celebrity who has fabulous new shoes or something inane like that).

Hello. I have a question for anyone who might be able to help me:

I have an appointment scheduled at the American Consulate next Tuesday--does anyone know how much time I should allow to get through security, and to the correct offices for my appointment, so I am not LATE for my appointment??? My appointment is at 08:30. I am NOT going for passport services--I am going for "notorial/other services" (I need to get a marriage affidavit that says I'm not currently married and I am legally allowed to marry).

Thank you for any advice on this!

Wow! Seems like the U.S. Embassy in Munich is a bit more organized. You have to stop at the gate where a security guy looks at your passport or other identification and then you are allowed into the little stand-alone building that has another guy who takes all of your stuff and sends it through an Xray machine (like airport security). He also asks you if you have a cellphone, camera, or car keys - or anything electronic with you. If you do, he holds that stuff for you in a box and gives you a ticket to collect your stuff on the way out. They were all smiles and very friendly and I have seen both Americans and other nationalities working security too.

Hi All,

I have a general question about getting an affidavit for marriage in Frankfurt. Does anyone know what paperwork and documents are required, how long it takes to receive the affidavit and how much it costs? I have an appointment to get one tomorrow and the consulate has not been very communicative in this matter.

Thanks,

Pat

Wow! Seems like the U.S. Embassy in Munich is a bit more organized. You have to stop at the gate where a security guy looks at your passport or other identification and then you are allowed into the little stand-alone building that has another guy who takes all of your stuff and sends it through an Xray machine (like airport security). He also asks you if you have a cellphone, camera, or car keys - or anything electronic with you. If you do, he holds that stuff for you in a box and gives you a ticket to collect your stuff on the way out. They were all smiles and very friendly and I have seen both Americans and other nationalities working security too.

It's that way in Vienna as well. (Yes, I know Vienna is not in Germany.)

I have a general question about getting an affidavit for marriage in Frankfurt. Does anyone know what paperwork and documents are required, how long it takes to receive the affidavit and how much it costs? I have an appointment to get one tomorrow and the consulate has not been very communicative in this matter.

Sorry, but this is the "How to enter the American Consulate in Frankfurt" thread, not the "I have a general question" thread.. Please start a new topic, of search for a prev. thread which covers your question.

Well, this teaches everyone a very important lesson. Do your research first, especially when a consulate is concerned. All over their website it says that no electronics/bags/anything other than freedom fries are allowed inside.

It didn't say that on the pages I looked at on Saturday for my appointment in Munich. Now it does, after I complained this morning, on pages that are listed as having changed today. Still no mention on the Contact page or the pages listing how to get there, which is where I'd looked for such info...

Same procedure here except one guy was extremely unfriendly and rude and insisted I should not even have my bike helmet and bike lights (I was on my bike!) and a cell phone. Odd as it all fit into the little tray which is provided for exactly that purpose.

Just out of curiosity, are these security policies SOP in all US embassies/consulates/missions abroad?

Probably. But some of them actually have lockers for your stuff, see Berlin mentioned above. In Munich at least there's the Haus der Kunst next door that you could leave stuff at.

actually I went to the munich one and it was very nice, I just went in left my phone and my juice with the guards in my own little locker which they gave me a key to,did what I had to do and then left. I was in and out in less than 15mins, I was definately impressed and it was good to get good customer service again, I really miss that.

If the people are friendly, it's fine. But when they bitch you out for having a phone with you, it's not so nice.

I'll emphasize that the people INSIDE the consulate were totally fine. It's this one security guard who was causing trouble.

medic82, you found an actual locker in Munich? In the little building in front of the consulate?

How to enter the US Consulate in Frankfurt.

1. Go to their webpage

2. Make an appointment on Infopass.

3 Read the available info so you know what to expect.

Correct me if I am wrong but are not cell phones excellent detonators?? :ph34r:

Correct me if I am wrong but are not cell phones excellent detonators??

But strangely enough you'd also need an actual bomb to detonate... They're more likely banned because (a) you cna take photos/film with them and ( b ) just for the sake of security theatre...

I was surprised that they didn't have any facilities to put it in

I was actually surprised to hear that the Berlin consulate has lockers to check things in! I think the general assumption should be that consulates, embassies, and criminal courts are places you shouldn't be carrying electrical appliances. Heads up for tourists to London's criminal courts: You don't get to bring your camera in the courts there, either. You have to pay at the kiosk down the street to store your stuff. So, life's tough on tourists and even locals on foot.

To follow up on my visit -- they very courteously answered my email complaining of the rude guard and said they'd take it up with the security company. And they had my passport done in just a week.

Osiyo,

Been in Germany since 1971 and to the American Consulate in Frankfurt and in Berlin, plus the one in Moscow and a few others during travels here and there. I learned to take only that which one must have with you, i.e the cloths on your back, and please nothing else, and I mean nothing else. As I have learned over the years they(American Consulates)have many rules for their protection and ours when we are visiting, and for reasons that do make since, sometimes, but the best way to do things at the American Consulate is "their" way, or you might be left standing out in the cold no matter what you might think it.

And I also learned that being nice and polite no matter what they throw at you sometimes has great rewards when someone that is not important thinks we think, they are important. Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Wado,

quarterbloodcherokee

google => osiyo & wado and smile!it is Cherokee for Hello, and thanks! I do no longer take scalps