Comparing the German and British beer cultures

112 posts in this topic

'British pub culture', well, thats a strange one. As a Brit I'd say there is no such thing as British pub culture anymore.

Yes, there is sttill a South Western Pub Culture, a Northern Pub Culture, a Southern pub culture (and despite friends trying, I can't include London in that) and a 'real ale' pub culture, but the only drinking culture I have seen that exists all over the Isles is the 'get smashed on fri/sat night, pull some slaaags and have a scrap' culture.

As for British Beers the recommendations on this thread have a worryingly Southern/Welsh tilt, how can you people recommend crap like Brains, London Pride and (shudder) Greene King? A Boddies , Tetleys or a pint of smooth is far better, but if you want a real pint of bitter locate the tap marked 'Leeds Pale' ;)

Also do any other Brits find the way the Germans call Broon 'Newcastle' rather amusing?

Oh, and re: German beers, how come no mention of the (vom fass only)beauty that is Kellerbier?

Disclaimer: In the US I am referred to as a beer snob.

To begin with people who say German beer is crap know as little about beer as those that say Guinness is too heavy. Both are completely false. Augustineer and Tegernseer Spezial are two of the best lagers I have ever had and are perfect on a warm day. That being said, in Munich beer selection is incredibly limited. Helles, Weiss, Dunkle and Pilsner is as varried a selection I have found. German (or maybe Barvarians) are good at their craft but they lack imagination. Small craft breweries from the Netherlands, Belgium, the US and many other countries brew with the same dedication and quality as they do here but they try new things. Many have blamed the lack of variety or innovation on the Reinheitsgebot but there are a number unique and varied beers that only have water, barley, hops and yeast. In the US there are many bars that specialize in beer and have 50-100 beers (none of which are Bud) on tap at any given time from around the world. Here having three to four beers on tap is a variety. The biggest thing is that Bavarians seem unwilling to try new types of beer.

A knock against Germans is their propensity to put soda in beer. In the States proper beer drinkers forbid fruiting the beer and mixing a beer with cola or sprite will have you laughed out of a bar.

had Everards Tiger last weekend, first time in ages and first real ale I'd had in a few months, fucking brilliant.

Don't much like the newer british breweries/beers (so feck off Castle Rock) but stuff like Timothy Taylor's, Everards, Tetley's (when it was made in Leeds), Black Sheep, Jennings, Fullers etc are all worth a try.

I believe the beer most people hate is British ale because it is so different to the others ie relatively flat.

When I lived in the UK, I did itineraries as a "Blue Badge" tourist guide for German language groups. When I had an interesting group, I'd invite them for a Bristol pub evening. We'd meet up in the Llandoger Trow pub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandoger_Trow

in the old port area, and I'd first of all explain the difference between top-fermented and bottom-fermented beer, and that to call English beer "Warmes Bier" was not quite right. Explained secondary fermentation in the barrel and that "room temperature" or slightly cooled were more correct terms - chilling kills the secondary fermentation (etc, etc).

I'd encourage them to try some reasonably strong beers (depending on what was available). They'd sink their first pint - "Hmmm - watery. Wasser plus Malz" and so on. Then I'd encourage them to have another.

That did the trick!

Thank you, Wadsworth 6X. Thank you, Marston's Pedigree, Badger's Best (etc).

I don't see much point in buying imported beer in Germany. Carrying coal to Newcastle?

Personally, I can't get excited about Pils too much and have found a tasty Beer from a small independent brewery in Berlin.

The name is Rotkehlchen from the Berliner Bürgerbräu brewery which I think is somewhere near the Mügelsee.

Worth a try!

That did the trick!

Thank you, Wadsworth 6X. Thank you, Marston's Pedigree, Badger's Best (etc).

Ah I hope you also üut an unsuspecting pint of Marstons' "Owd Roger" in front of 'em. That will silence the Jerries! More like Roger and out!

I do like jerry beer but you can't beat a British biter in a beamed ceiling 17th Century old pub.

I've lived in a few places, and I have learnt that the flavour stops being important after the fourth pint... I just know I prefer my beer to be cold (that's 4C, not stairs-to-the-cellar), and generally with a bit of a bitter kick. Preferred brands (shortlist, in no particular order): Newcastle Brown Ale (not noticed anyone calling it 'Newcastle' here yet), John Smith's, Brand (NL), Jupiler (Belgium) , Lindeboom (NL), Schmucker (Odenwald), Bittburger (get it in Scotland nowadays), and am even partial to a good old-fashioned pint of Tennant's. That in preference to Stella (we export it because we don't want it) or Kronenbourg 1664 (ze reason ze French drink wine).

But in the end, I'll drink just about anything (except Guiness, can't stand the stuff).

Oh, and thanks for the tips on the US microbrewey stuff; shame that most/all of the leftpondian stuff you get here is like making love in a canoe

Newcastle Brown Ale (not noticed anyone calling it 'Newcastle' here yet)

It were "Newky Brown" when I was a teenager and everyone drank it at the local nightclub. Fucking horrible stuff it was, too.

I also call it Newkie Broon, or Dog if I'm being obscure. Always a good stand by if everything else is shit, i.e. at a nightclub

german beer is good...

american beer is for the most part like feline piss...

australian beer is much like american beer...

british beer...

Guiness is crap...

I see you totally neglected Canada. Thanks. Just to make sure we consider the Canucks we've got:

Molsons - which has the best beer ads worldwide

Labatts - I don't drink it, but I'm told people in the East like it

Alexander Keiths - East Coast awesome

Big Rock - the Prairie's finest

Granville Island - West Coast great

Alley Cat - Edmonton micro-brew... sure it's my home town, but I can't say I miss it

Everyones original country beer apprears to be the best...

Not true. Sure I miss a good Keiths cream ale every now and then, but really, Canadian Beer?? Maybe if you like cold filtered, or maple syrup flavoured.

Speaking of cream ales, do they exist in Germany?

Guiness is crap and it turns your poo black for the next day at least

Now I know why they make toilets with ledges... you can check to see if the Guiness has worn off!!

speaking as an Englishman, I'd rank world beers (I've tried) thus:

1. Belgium

2. Germany

3. Czech Republic

4. Mexico

5. Britain

6. Ireland

and then it gets a bit messy as I can't decide the order of such stalwarts as Russia, Denmark, Holland, France, Austria, Switzerland (yuk), Italy, Egypt, USA, Canada, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, Poland

actually, as far as the UK is concerned, there is quite a lot of good stuff, but there is also a load of shite, Greene King I mean you

Thanks for such an insightfull critique on German and other beers jay-me. I come from Australia and you were right on the mark about the beer there. Coopers is the best of the miserable lot. The thing that I find is the worse about German beer is that it has left me unable to drink Australian beer anymore. American beer is a joke of course. A friend managed to secure some Budweiser and we were full of anticipation which turned to a morbid disappointment on tasting that dishwater. I think that the weizenbiers are the best or at least to my taste buds and I find the variety available of various brands and types to be amazingly diverse. Having set a mission for myself to try as many German beers as possible; starting with the weizenbiers, I have so far found that there is very little in the way of 'bad' German beers. I have set a line with one type that is my preferred style; including Paulaner, Franziskaner and Krombacher and on the other side are brands which I still find OK but are not my preferred. So far the closest that I have found to beers that I don't like here are the Alsfeld Pils which was pretty marginal and the Falkenfelser which I would not recommend.

You provided an excellent preview on the British beers which I have not tried yet. The question that I made only a few weeks ago was: "Is the quality of German beers so high, or are European beers in general so much better than Australian and American". My international beer tasting credentials are not exemplary with just that Mexican beer, Corona that was trendy at one stage (and that was terrible, I think it must of been the beer in the pub in that Tarrantino film, Desperado, and an unnamed beer from China that was given to me at one of the Mongolian restaurant chains here. That was remarkable in that out of the six or so people that were unfortunate enough to have ordered it, nobody finished their beer.

I nevertheless look forward to probing a few British beers when I get over there. One last thing to split the crowd here. Guiness is rubbish. It has to be one of the most over-rated beers in the world.

I see you totally neglected Canada. Thanks. Just to make sure we consider the Canucks we've got:

Molsons - which has the best beer ads worldwide

Labatts - I don't drink it, but I'm told people in the East like it

Alexander Keiths - East Coast awesome

Big Rock - the Prairie's finest

Granville Island - West Coast great

Alley Cat - Edmonton micro-brew... sure it's my home town, but I can't say I miss it

Not true. Sure I miss a good Keiths cream ale every now and then, but really, Canadian Beer?? Maybe if you like cold filtered, or maple syrup flavoured.

Speaking of cream ales, do they exist in Germany?

Creams ales don't exist in germany and probably never will. The principle behind a cream ale is a blend of lager and ale yeast or a lager like ale yeast strain and usually the addition of adjuncts like corn and sugar. They were the ale houses answer to lager beer. The good news is kölsch is probably pretty darn similar to cream ale. Although it will be a bit more malty in flavour because they don't add corn or sugar to the mash to hike up the alcohol.

Sadly enough I think canada's beer scene is a reflection of the US. A couple of dominating large macro breweries producing ubiquitous international/light lagers and a couple of small players producing varied beers of varied quality. However I think the thing that typifies Canadian beer culture is that we assume our beer is way better and stronger than american beer. Part of which is based on the difference in labling americans, traditionally used abw (alcohol by weight) and canadians went with abv (alcohol by volume) making the american beer appear much weaker, and part of which is based on a chosen perception of reality. But lets be honest canadian beer is stifled through provincial monopolies and government regulation.

And then, of course, everything's owned by the Belgians anyway. They just cater for local tastes