Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shop refund policies and your rights

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the refund policies are like for shops in Germany. Especially for the "Konen" store, if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Rob

I assume it's for clothes. Can't say how long it is, but usually within two weeks you won't have a problem if you have the receipt. Longer than that, it better not show any signs of wear, tags still on and have the receipt. See how it goes. If it's something that fell apart on you, well, maybe you'll be refunded, but I would still take the receipt.

All contracts can be cancelled within 24 hours, including airline tickets. You have 24 hours to return something.

EU laws now give you a minimum warranty of 24 months for any item purchased (original packaging not necessary). The only loopholes are that it only applies to the original purchaser and it's not applicable to anything marked as already defective or private sales explicitly stating that no refund is possible.

woof.

If it's something that fell apart on you, well, maybe you'll be refunded, but I would still take the receipt.

Yeah for sure. My friend just took a pair of boots purchased at Deichmann in early December back. She had them for less than a month and the heel almost came right off. They took them back with the receipt, huffily mind you, but still refunded her money.

EU laws now give you a minimum warranty of 24 months for any item purchased (original packaging not necessary

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This only applies to faulty goods. If you buy clothes and it turns out they don't fit. The shop doesn't actually HAVE to take the goods back since there is no fault. Many shops do take goods back out of good will (Kulanz). Each store will have its own policy.

For items bought by "Fernabsatz" (ie mailorder etc) you can return within two weeks no questions asked.

I'm intrested in finding out what my rights are with respect to getting a refund on an item i bought (a rucksack). I told the salesperson I wasn't sure if it would be big enough (20 litres) for my purpose so I would try it out and if it was too small bring it back, sure he said. I returned it within an hour of buying it only to find out that they don't offer refunds! At least without the manager present he couldn't offer me a refund. I ahave a gutschein for the amount - but I no longer want to buy anyhting from that stor as the next size up is a lot more expensive. I subsequently went and bought anouther rucksack elsewhere.

My query is whether I have a right to a refund as oppose to exchange - due to local, national or EU laws.

I'm in Baden Wuttemburg, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to speak to the manager on monday so I would like to know my rights before I go there.

Many thanks.

Topics merged by admin

The store isn't obliged to take back the item at all unless it's faulty. Stores that do choose to accept returns are perfectly entitled to give you a credit note instead of cash. However, that should have been made clear to you when you asked if you could return it, so a word with the manager may bear fruit. Otherwise just get something flashy with the credit note and then sell it on eBay. If it's a chain store, you can sell the credit note itself on eBay for just a few euros less than its value.

Different rules apply for internet purchases, where you are entitled to a cash refund if you return the item within 14 days.

whats the german version of sales of goods act? if it wasnt big enough and she mentioned that, then a full cash refund is normal in the UK, i know gerrys have more rules, but i thought they would be more protective for the customer, not the other way around

A full cash refund may be normal in the UK but, as in Germany, is not a legal requirement unless the item is faulty.

The rules are EXACTLY the same in the UK as in Germany.

A cash refund is ENTIRELY at the discretion of the retailer.

What IS it with people on here who waffle plain and simple UNTRUTHS about the supposed "rules and bureaucracy" in Germany?

no in the UK you are allowed a fuil cash refund if the item is not as described, if they said they can take it and bring it back if too small, then thats a agreement, just cos they dont want something, that is at the managers descresion.

no in the UK you are allowed a fuil cash refund if the item is not as described

The article was as described, it had a capacity of 20 litres.

But it turned out not to suit the OP.

So any refund is at the discretion of the retailer and may be a credit note. EXACTLY the same as the UK.

Hey cooljules. I understand your frustration. In the UK, stores are MUCH MORE WILLING to refund goods as they understand it is a part of your standard customer service. They do not really do it in Germany as ZAT EEZ ZE ROOLS.

Come to the US. They give refunds on pretty much everything as they value your business and want you to return time and time again. Same pretty much applies to the UK. In Germany you, the consumer, are supposed to show a little more gratitude at being allowed to shop at a certain store...

As far as I know, youre allowed to return something as long as you do it within 2 weeks. Ive always gone back with my receipt and never had a problem.

I understand your frustration. In the UK, stores are MUCH MORE WILLING to refund goods as they understand it is a part of your standard customer service.

Never really bought much while in Germany, but the service has been ok, but even the Germans say its so unfriendly etc compared to UK shops

My ex boss was a ass ( i quite some weeks ago, cos he wanted me to teach the 17 yea old trainees, that the gov pays for, so not him...how to do my job) so i told him where to stick it. He wouldnt offer refunds, only credit notes, unless something didnt work...then he would try to wangle out of that.

Shos with bad service i never return too...even if it means me going well out of my way!

My job is connected with service for a large company that operates worldwide.

In America we have to take back stuff within 2 weeks, just becasue the customer changes his mind.

It's a real hassle and costs taking the goods back, getting them back to "as new" but you can't sell them as factory new anymore.

In America we have to take back stuff within 2 weeks, just becasue the customer changes his mind.It's a real hassle and costs taking the goods back,

Yeah. Offering a service to the consumer must be a real pain. Considering the profits that are earned in these large stores, I think this is not really a major factor. Of course, if you have a "Beamter" attitude then I have no doubt about the hassle involved

When I was a lad, I worked at Dixons. They'd been receiving a lot of bad publicity because people were buying "new" products but, when they got home, they realised that the item had been unpacked, used and then returned. This is because Dixons, like virtually every other retailer in the land, was accepting returns. So the Oxford Street branches did a trial whilst I was working there whereby you could no longer return the product once it had been opened. The complaints about used "new" products dried up; people instead complained that they couldn't return the product. The company couldn't win. Clothes can easily be returned and resold at full value, while electronics, with their wafer-thin profit margins, can't be because of the packaging. It's not only a question of "service" but also of protecting margins. They are companies not charities.

All that said, this case is different because the customer specifically (or perhaps only in a roundabout way) asked about their returns policy and was assured that returns were no problem. I suspect that the manager will give a refund if he thinks the customer may return.

Bit pissed now and laters taters. But it is a factor. A multi million US Dollar factor.

YOU pay more for our products because you get off on the customer service we offer.