Where to buy thick-cut bacon rashers

66 posts in this topic

I must apologise that I distract you from the type of discussions recently active here, but I wonder where you can find "real" rashers: I want "thick" rashers, and the cuts sold in German supermarkets are rather very thin. Do you know of a manufacturer or a way to get those thick rashers?

And for those disappointed that it is not yet another trolling thread, I can add that Jews and Muslims don't eat bacon - and this might point to some conspiracy - it might be that non-bacon eating people have conspired against thick rashers!

I feel your pain, Donno - but thick rashers are not to be found, I fear! I looked, I looked again - I found them NOT.

However - get yourself to Tim's Canadian Deli, on the Winterfeldtplatz in Schoneberg. Real true UK style rashers!!! I swear!

thick rashers are not to be found, I fear! I looked, I looked again - I found them NOT.

Try Broken English - 2 shops in Berlin, they keep a lot of stuff in their freezers including British bacon.

I feel your pain, Donno - but thick rashers are not to be found, I fear! I looked, I looked again - I found them NOT.

However - get yourself to Tim's Canadian Deli, on the Winterfeldtplatz in Schoneberg. Real true UK style rashers!!! I swear!

Hi fellow Toytowners,

Been lurking for a while, as I moved to Berlin from the UK nine months ago, but this post made me finally join in the discussion.

Sadly, Tim's Canadian Deli on the Winterfeldplatz closed down suddenly a couple of months ago, and is now replaced by an overpriced upmarket restaurant. There are still branches in Adlershof and Bebelplatz, but since this was my local, I'm sad it's gone.

As for bacon, the issue for me is not how thick it is, but the fact that you can only get streaky bacon (i.e. 50% fat/50% meat) in Germany, whereas in the UK there are many different kinds, including the more traditional, and leaner, back bacon.

Echoing #5, I believe I saw thicker rashers at Broken English yesterday

It's a symtom of a lot of middle class expats on this forum,looking for stuff from "back home" ect.You're in Germany start integrating or piss off home.These are the same people who suggest you use the SEARCH box in the top right corner every time someone has a genuine question.Why did you come to Germany if you wanna only speak English all the time???

Cantenaccio , this comment coming from a person who has them selves down as being based in Dublin.WTF would you know about living in Germany then.By the way there is a P in SYMPTOM

WTF would you want to but rashers in Germany???

Because rashers are awesome and proof positive that there are in fact Gods and they do want us to be happy.

Why did you come to Germany if you wanna only speak English all the time???

Oo, oo, I know this one too. Because not everyone moves to a particular country to learn the language. I spent a year in Sweden once. Did I "wanna only speak English all the time"?. Fuckin' right I did.

According to your posts you haven't even come to Germany yet. You seem to have pretty strong opinions about what living abroad is all about. Have you done it before?

It's a symtom of a lot of middle class expats on this forum,looking for stuff from "back home" ect.You're in Germany start integrating or piss off home.These are the same people who suggest you use the SEARCH box in the top right corner every time someone has a genuine question.Why did you come to Germany if you wanna only speak English all the time???

If it is possible to buy the items of your choice what is the problem with asking where they can be found? It has nothing to do with being middle class. And speaking English when you want is also a free choice. Many move to Germany for many different reasons and all find ways to adapt.

I have lived in other countries before and yes I am based in Berlin.I find that hard to believe that some people want to come to Germany and not want to make any effort to adapt to the society you live in.It's a lazy attitude to think you can live in your Anglo Saxon bubble in another country.Sure there's nothing wrong with it but it comes across as very insular.

not want to make any effort to adapt to the society

Someone wants some bacon. That's all. Are you saying people who live in Germany should only eat German food? Do you picket the Turkish and Chinese restaurants in Berlin for example? Do you kick the coffee cups out of people's hands because it's not beer?

It's a lazy attitude to think you can live in your Anglo Saxon bubble in another country.

Heh?

I speak 90+% German at work.

By far and away the majority of the time I spend with friends is German speaking.

We speak German in the house.

My ex boyfriend is German.

Most of the blokes I shag are German.

Most of the press I read is German.

And I am active in a couple of local Verein where the language is of course, German.

No bubble at all, but I still like thick cut bacon.

I have lived in other countries before and yes I am based in Berlin.

It seems you're clinging to the past and not adapting too well yourself, or you would have already changed that Dub to Ber in your profile.

I'm based in Berlin,home in Dublin for the next few weeks to tie up some loose ends.Monkstown I'm not saying everyone who wants rashers is a Anglophile maniac,but this is a contingent on this site who have a real Anglo-Saxon attitude to German culture,the same people wonder why some Germans are rude to them ect.