SATOURDAY 2015 - free museum entry, last Sat. each month in Frankfurt

70 posts in this topic

Ok, my favorites and honestly it does depend on what your interests are.

Städel

Liebieg Haus

Museum of Modern Art

Jewish Museum and the Judengasse Museum

Archeology Museum

The Leather Museum

Museum of Applied Arts

Communication Museum

Senckenburg Museum

Historical Museum

Sometimes I like the Architecture Museum depending on its exhibits. Some like the Film museum, but I find it rather boring. Some like the World culture museum, but it seems everytime I go in there it is so darn hot I just do a quick run-through. The Schirn also depends on the exhibit. Dom Museum is rather dry, but sort of interesting if you like looking at vestments and chalices.

Have not made it to the Dialog Museum or the Geld Museum yet, but they are on my list to go see soon.

Is this information still valid?? Is entry still free to all museums mentioned above on the last Saturday of each month?

Well, no it isn't valid next Saturday as the Museum Ufer Fest is next weekend. Buy yourself a button on Friday for 4 € at any museum and you can then get in 18 museums all weekend long. I think I will post something about it for those who don't regularly read my blog.

ah right - next weekend is Museumufer.. forgot that, sorry.

so it's actually the perfect weekend to go museum surfing and partying by the river!

Just a bump to the top so everyone that might be new to Frankfurt will know about this.

New Exhibitions at the Museum of Applied Arts, Museum of Modern Art, Architecture Museum, and I believe at the Jewish Museum and the Judengasse too. The Schirn has a new one, but I think you have to pay to get into that one.

Have fun!

Quick update:

The Icon Museum is closed to get ready for the Deutsche Ordens Church 700 year anniversary on the 29th. (should I go to this or the Pub Quiz???)

The Architecture museum also has some closed off areas. They are building the China architecture exhibit that opens on the 29th, and the TV tower exhibit that opens on the 2nd for just 10 days.

Well, I am going to the Applied Arts museum and the Modern Art Museum to what they have new. I might have to dig deep and spring for an entrance fee for the Schirn as I want to see the Chinese sculpture exhibit.

Does this still works? Is it still free every last saturday of the month? I'm coming in november and it would save a lot of my precious little money. :D

I have only seen the schedule for 2009, so November is still good. You can pick up a brochure at any museum that tells about what is available.

Yep, this Saturday is Museum day again.

- Archeology Museum has an exhibit about the Bayeux tapestry

- Architechture Museum has TV towers

- Schirn still has the 100 Sculptures for the Millions

- Museum of Modern Art has a couple different things (can't remember what)

- Kunsthandwerk Museum has Baroque furniture from the era of the Sun King.

If you have never gone in the Historical Museum, this is a good time to visit if only to see the huge scale model of Frankfurt before the war. It is a shame that all the text in this museum is only in German, but it is still schocking to see the Christmas tree decorated with glittery swastika ornaments that they have in exhibit about the nazis. It is worth walking around in there.

I think you can also get into the "Americans in Hessen" exhibit over at the Stadt Archives in the Karmeliter Cloister. This is right behind the Archeology Museum. I went to this last week and it was really good, especially the very 1st video - "This is Your Job". Make sure you watch this. Liked the JFK visiting Frankfurt video too. If you go there, make sure you go into the next room too, which is the Cloister area, to see the Jörg Ratgeb frescos. The refectory is where the American etc. is and that wall is also covered with these paintings.

I believe this getting in free thing on the last Sat. of the month is over now and I haven't seen anything that says it will continue in 2010. Have asked all the museums and they don't seem to know either. November was the last time. Too bad as that was a good deal.

Just got our 49 € pass today though. This allows you to skip that big line over at the Städel where everyone is trying to get into see Botticelli.

Happiness is here again. The city did decide to continue the SATOURDAY special. Just picked up the new brochures yesterday. One fun thing I saw, was the activities planned for the Museum of Modern Art. Looks like this is really a family weekend for kids over 6. The whole building is going to be an art experiment. That sounds interesting. They will also be doing a tour at 14:00, that shows the other, hidden side of the building. Free entrance on Sunday, the 31st too.

Film Museum is closed for renovation.

Architecture Museum will close from Apr. to Nov. for renovation, but they will present an exhibition at the Palmengarten in May.

As in last year, you still have to pay to get into the following museums, even though they will have special workshops for kids and families.

Goethe Haus, Communication Museum, Senckenburg Museum of Natural History, and the Palmengarten.

Schedule for themes this year -

Jan. 30 - Animals, but with a little different view

Feb. 27 - Views of the City

Mar. 20 - SATOURDAY Special, Day of the Open Door

Mar. 27 - World Religions

Apr. 24 - Originals and Fakes

May 29 - Wandering and Emmigration

End of Feb. is here, so that means this Sat. is Free Museum Day. The theme, Views of the City might be interesting. Tours to the roof of the Museum of Modern Art to see how the air conditioning works and other hidden spots in the museum. They also have new exhibits there that just opened this past week.

TV towers is still at the architecture museum, but it sure is sad to find out they left the one here in Frankfurt out. The lady at reception says everybody complains about that. Kinda funny.

Schirn has Georges Seurat, Judengasse has a tour at 1430 about the Ghetto, Historic museum stuff about the old maps of FF, the Archeology museum is doing family tours of the Roman and Palace ruins for kids over 8 from 11:00-15:00.

Pick up your SATOURDAY brochure at any museum.

It is here again. This Saturday, 20 March. The theme this month is "Focus on Families", with all kinds of workshops in all the museums that feature Families. The Commnunication Museum is free this month.

The Römer is also offering a Day of the Open Door on Saturday and on Sunday. You can go tour the Römer for free on both days. Visit the mayors office, the Kaiser Hall, and other cool places in the Römer.

Mar. 27 - World Religions TODAy. wonder which one wud b good. doesnt matter sumhow. looks like me gonna b back in the Kinder museum. Senckenberg museum isnt free. still worth a visit. any other museums u recommend for a family of a 6 yr old?

With a 6 year old, you might want to visit the Communication Museum as it is kind of a fun place for kids to run around, do some interactive stuff, climb on the old post wagen, and then have some great brownies in the cafe there.

Another good one is the Verkehrs Museum (I call it the Strassenbahn museum) Lots of old trams and trains to climb on.

The Kinder museum is fun as is the Senckenburg museum.

If the weather was nicer, I would recommend going up to the Bad Homburg area to the Saalburg or to Hessen Park.

None of the museums are free today.

Historische Straßenbahn der Stadt Frankfurt am Main: Verkehrsmuseum Frankfurt

Saalburg

Hessen park